Profile Picture

What Dual Master Cylinder Works?

Posted By oldcarmark 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
why would you go to a dual master,unless you install the valving that shuttles when theirs a leak front or rear. other wise its a wast of time and money.
if you convert to front dishes then it would make sense ,re prev. quote.
LordMrFord
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
2721955meteor (7/7/2019)
why would you go to a dual master,unless you install the valving that shuttles when theirs a leak front or rear. other wise its a wast of time and money.
if you convert to front dishes then it would make sense ,re prev. quote.

I thought, dual reservoir means two separate systems. If other breaks, other will work.
And Residual Pressure Valve keeps only a little bit minimum pressure in the line so shoes are closer to drum.
Works fine without the valve like the original one.

Hyvinkää, FI
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The "safety" feature is definitely more complicated than simply adding a dual master cylinder.  I know this because a failure of a flare in the rear brake circuit of mine resulted in no brakes.  I'm fortunate that It was in my driveway when this happened.  I don't have the answer why that is.  There seems to be a lot of misinformation, misunderstanding and contradiction about brakes even among manufacturers and I have not figured out the truth.  Bottom line, don't let a dual mc give you a false sense of security.

Lawrenceville, GA
2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
charley  is right on,dual master cyls are not all the same . one for disc front ,drum rear are not the same for discs all 4. for all 4 ther is no residual unless the master is under the floor.  no discs residual  front and back 
so do not just throw on a dual without extensive re search
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Simply, there are four main versions of master cylinders.  Single bowl, double bowl for all drum brakes, double bowl for disc/drum and double bowl for all discs.  This is a simplified accounting.

The single bowl and  double bowl for all drums have built in residual pressure valves.  The other two do not and residual pressure and proportioning is handled by what is called the combination valve, that hunk of brass near the master cylinder that all the brake lines go to. I haven't had any experience with an all disc system, I assume a proportioning valve is not required??

One of the problems with converting a single bowl to a double is the travel length of the brake pedal.  Too little travel length may result in the failure of the master to actually work  as its supposed to as far as the separate brake safety system. I heard about this issue through the TBird sites I read.  Repositioning the plunger rod on the brake pedal arm supposedly cured this problem.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter