Profile Picture

T86 O/D Transmission Leaks

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
This is a possibility.  I have always thought the leak was coming from the input shaft.  The older T86 transmissions don't use a seal, they have spiral groves to direct the oil back in.  I have determined this is not the problem as the clutch, pressure plate and inside of the bell housing are all dry.  There are only a few more possibilities.  It could be leaking from the front of the case where the shaft hole is drilled.   If that is the case, you would think you could see it?  Perhaps the gear oil is working it's way out the side or around the case?  If it continues to leak, I am going to attempt to pull the transmission back and seal the shaft hole with a gasket or sealer.  I can't check the vent unless I pull the motor and transmission.   That may be necessary. 

I now know the best way to make sure the transmission and O/D unit are totally full.  Removing both plugs and filling them from the O/D unit works best.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
The T85 Overdrive tranny in my ’55 (originally out of a ’63 Galaxie) leaked gear oil from the electric solenoid area.  Wasn't a lot of oil but enough to always leave a spot on the floor.  I ended up putting a second seal on top of the first seal in the case where the solenoid installs and that fixed that particular leak.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Sent a PM

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

When I had the transmission out last summer for an engine rebuild, I installed new seals on the O/D solenoid and the shift arms.  My leak is coming from the front of the transmission.  I'm pretty sure the leak is coming from the shaft hole in the front of the case. As soon as I have a chance, I'm going to pull the transmission back and see if I can seal the hole.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Following up on this issue.  I was able to move the the transmission back far enough to see the end of the shaft.  When I unbolted the transmission from the bell housing, gear oil poured out of the cavity between them.  Obviously, this is where my leak was located.  Looking in, I saw where the shaft hole had space for a freeze plug.  This freeze plug was missing.  We made a plug and JB welded it so it wouldn't come out again.  Problem solved.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter