Profile Picture

8 volt 55 thunderbird

Posted By 55charliebird 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 hours ago
re 6volt,set the reg to charge 8volt so battery fully charged, install a electric fuel pump as a supplement  with a manual switch. so after the toy is parked for the week hit the switch, that will fill the small float in the percolator carb(slang for early holleys on 55 and 6 birds). i have owned 2 separate times  55 birds ,1st  a 312 powered resto that would always start if the elect pump actuated after long stop 4days or more. 2nd1 was 292 with a radical cam etc same carb regs set to 8vots. carbs rebuilt, always start.. mine  both std trans. i think a auto trans would be more touchy as the torque has drag,and must have 6volt starter,they are not the same as 12volt
cokefirst
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
The way the vehicles are wired, you will get 12 volts to the ignition circuit also when cranking.  I think it will work fine with the 6/12 battery.  
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The question of how modifications affect value is a great question for this forum.  It should be in a separate thread.  The number of people who lusted after early Fords is shrinking.  When I buy gas, young people walk over and ask me what kind of car it is. Some say things like "My grandfather had one of these".   At Barrett Jackson, restomods are bringing more money than stock restored examples. Who wants to drive a car that won't start, can't stop, has poor performance, leaks oil or rides like a truck?   If you own an early Ford to compete in a concours event, I get it.  If you own one to drive, fixing those issues makes sense and may even increase it's value depending on who buys it in the future.  As long as you don't do anything that can't be reversed and keep the original parts, no harm done.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Lou
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Phil, you are correct in saying restomods bring more money that stock vehicles (At most BJ auctions, but not all) how ever if you compare the amount of money spent to build a restomods as compared to a restoration the return on investment  is very poor regarding non-stock vehicles. 
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Crazy isn't it?  On TV I watch people invest $100-200K into cars that can't bring $50,000 in an auction. The guy on TV says, "Here's your bill, it only took 5,000 hours to complete.  When they bring the car out, I wonder how long they will keep it?  If you've been around old cars as long as I have you know this is not a money making proposition.  I do it because I enjoy working on my cars.  The fun is turning wrenches and getting my hands dirty.   Paying someone else 4-5 times what my car is worth to do the things I like to do is not the best decision in my view.  If that's what you want, wait a few years and buy that $200K restored car for $45,000.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
As 6 V cars usually started fine when new, whats the problem now? As noted 12 V replacement cables don't cut it!  If needed make new ones from welding cable.   Also, check & clean all connections & grounds. And in some cases the starter may need an overhaul.  If the car is only driven occasionally, invest in a battery maintainer, costing maybe $30.00 or so. (I learned that lesson the hard way)  And check the timing to ensure it's not retarded or whatever.. Good luck. 

Paul
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
12v cables gave me the fits.  I went back to the original "0" cables.  I used the new 12 cables for engine to frame ground, engine to firewall ground...etc.    .  Works fine.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Weeks Ago
Rock Auto lists the correct Cables for 55 with 6 Volt. Gauge 1. The Ones for 56 12 Volt are Gauge 4. Already made up.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
chiggerfarmer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Do not forget that all batteries are not equal. I do not know what the original 55 battery cranking amps were, but some of the cheap 6 volt batteries that are commonly sold are for scruby 6's. They will not work well. I had great luck with the Optima 6 volt on my 54. Also check voltage at coil. Ignition switches wear out and have excessive resistance. 

Tom from the chiggerfarm located in the beautiful Heart of Central Texas

When you cannot dazzle others with your brilliance, baffle them with bullcorn! BigGrin

Reading This Topic

Site Meter