Profile Picture

Holley 94 problems

Posted By Jack Groat 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I bought my Crown Vic with 3 Holleys on an Edelbrock 573 manifold.  The front and rear carbs were blocked off.  The car ran fine.  My problems began when I tried to unblock the front and rear carbs.  So, I pulled them off and sent them to a well known carburetor guru who specialized in old Holley and Stromberg carbs.  Got them back and it was much worse.  Sent them back and he said he found some mistakes and corrected them.  It didn't work.  I blocked off the front and real carbs and that did not help.  I have called him and he says they are fine, the problem is somewhere else.  I bit the bullet and bought a new 4 bbl manifold and Edelbrock 4 bbl.  The car now runs fine..  I am sending them back again, but somehow I don't expect to get the issue resolved.  Don't tell me to just keep the 4 bbl.  I want the old fashioned tri-power set-up because I am old, stubborn,  and nostalgic.

Any suggestions on where I should go now?  I have over $1000 invested in those carbs.

Thanks guys
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
the guy didnt block of the front and back for nothing.i know lots who done the same thing.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
...sent them to a well known carburetor guru who specialized in old Holley and Stromberg carbs.  Got them back and it was much worse.  Sent them back and he said he found some mistakes and corrected them.  It didn't work.  I blocked off the front and real carbs and that did not help.  I have called him and he says they are fine, the problem is somewhere else.

How can a carb be re-built (short for kitting) without either a flow-bench or live application to test and calibrate? How can one decide which calibration(s) work best for either an OEM install, swap and/or multi-carburetion? Are all three matched or unknown application?

As suggested, use all as center and go from there.

I feel your pain.

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
So you got the car with the front and rear blocked and it was fine.  You unblocked front and rear and it became not fine.  At this point, the center carb seems to be ok and the end carbs are not.

When you say you sent them off, is that only the outer two or all three?

What exactly are the problems you experienced with the way it runs?

If all three are fully functional, then they can be tried one at a time but sometimes the end carbs are set up as secondary carbs, which would complicate that method.

Lawrenceville, GA
Jack Groat
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

The outer (secondary) carbs have had their idle circuits removed and when fully closed should have no air bypass, so swapping carbs around is not an option.  That was done as part of the rebuild.  He recommended it.

The same car that used to run fine before I sent them in for rebuild, now no longer works.  SAME CARB!!  That is what is so frustrating.

The engine idles roughly.  If you try to give it a little throttle, it stumbles, backfires with flame coming out the carb, and usually stalls.
pintoplumber
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 14 hours ago
Were the power valves removed and plugged on the end carbs?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I deleted my post as it was of no use since all 3 carbs were not the same

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Jack Groat
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I don't know the situation on power valves on the secondary carbs.  Since I am not using them, that is a moot question for now.  If and when I get it running on the center carb, I will start using the secondary carbs.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
The same car that used to run fine before I sent them in for rebuild, now no longer works.  SAME CARB!!  That is what is so frustrating.

Again, let me ask if all three carbs are a matched set or are they different in some way(s)?

Any I.D. Nos. on them? Can you provide a photo of the setup?

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
Given the symptoms and the fact that it was ok before the rebuild and assuming the guru really is a guru, my thought is that it simply needs to have a t least a small amount of tuning done to dial it back in.  No carburetor is going to be exactly right out of the box.  If the carb had been tuned before the rebuild and was returned to some baseline, by-the-book setting during rebuild, then the whole tuning process needs to be done again.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter