Car events. June-September

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic99055.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By ian57tbird - 10 Years Ago
My wife, daughter and I should be over for vacation around June though to September. We will be traveling by road, starting in LA, San Diego area and I was hoping to gets some ideas from you guys on major car events, shows, and museums that I might be able to fit in to our travel plan.

We are looking to head east to Georgia/South Carolina and we will also be going up to Seattle way. My wife hasn't seen Vegas so will probably go there for a couple of nights to see the lights and any other highlights. We're not sure how we are connecting the south east to the north west, maybe through Chicago way. There are no solid plans yet but we will probably start and finish in SoCal. I would like to get to Hot August Nights again but not sure if it will fit in the time line.

Is there going to be a Y block shoot out near San Diego and when would that be on?

I was just looking at the must see stuff, and hoping it might fit in with where we will be at the time.

I'm mostly a FoMoCo person but not prejudice to other nice cars either.

Looking forward to some good suggestions.

Ian.
By YBLOCKMERC - 10 Years Ago
When you have an idea of when you'll be in Seattle, PM me and I can give you some specific events in the area. For FoMoCo specific events there is the All Ford Picnic (Bellevue, WA) in early June and the Fall Ford Fest (Graham, WA) on Labor Day. Beyond that there are multiple events, large and small, every weekend.

In the meantime, you can bookmark the LeMay museum in Tacoma. Note: I tried to post link but it wouldn't show up in the text block - just search for Lemay car museum.
I did read about the new museum in Tacoma. I suspect it will be July or August we will be in the northwest. Will be in the neighbourhood, my aunt lives in Renton.
By Talkwrench - 10 Years Ago
Hey Ian looks like we'll be over in Cali at the same time, Jill and I are planning on July again.. [Unless the dollar drops much more pfft!]

Donut derelicts on a Saturday morn is cool but you have to be up early! In Orange County there is a Friday night cruise, Longbeach and Pamona swap meets, Bobs big boy always something going on..

Hoping I can do more car stuff this time around but its hard with the womenfolk! Ask Neil Gibb in our club he's the full bottle on what to do..

Anyone in San Fran give me some tips on things too do, think we'll kick off there.
By Meandean - 10 Years Ago
The Crown Victoria Annual National Convention is Madison Wisconsin July 27-Aug 1. Search for Crown Victoria Association. 1954-1956 Fords, all types. Recently included trucks. A pretty doable drive from Chicago if your timing works out. I'm planning on planning on being there - if that makes sense.
By Vic Correnti - 10 Years Ago
The Meltdown Drags and Y Shootout in Byron, Illinois west of Chicago about 80 miles, July 18, 19 and 20th with Saturday as being the best single day. Lots of gassers of all brands (many brand X's) for the Y's to beat up on. Here is a link to their site. http://meltdowndrags.com/ The Ford Expo, on August 29th to the 31st which includes the Y-shootout.
I know what you mean about limitations on car events. If these events combined a quilting convention with them I could attend everything. Have you got dates yet on when your going and coming back?

The Black Hawk Motor Museum, east side of San Francisco is definitely worth a look when your there.
By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
Near me is the Tucker cruise-In and Caffeine and Octane. Tucker is mostly domestic cars an hotrods. Caffeine and octane can have everything from 30's hotrods to Lamborghinis and Ferraris. It does have quite a bit of exotic stuff. Both are monthly events.
There is usually a weekly cruise-in at Summit Racing

There are others but I don't go to many. The same people and cars show up at about every show so there's not usually much new to see.
ian57tbird (1/27/2014)
I did read about the new museum in Tacoma. I suspect it will be July or August we will be in the northwest. Will be in the neighbourhood, my aunt lives in Renton.

PM me when you know when you'll be here and we'll meet up. We could go for a cruise in my Merc. BTW the CVA PNW Region holds a regional meet in mid-August every year. The last few years they've been in British Columbia, Montana and Oregon and I've just learned that this year it will be held August 13-16 in Tacoma, WA with the car show on the LeMay museum grounds on Sat. the 16th.
By lyonroad - 10 Years Ago
ian57tbird (1/28/2014)
If these events combined a quilting convention with them I could attend everything.

Here you go. The annual Ladner Quilt Walk and Car Show will be held in Ladner B.C.August 17, 2014. Last year the CVA PNW region held their annual meeting in conjunction with this show. Ladner is about 20minutes from the US border at Blaine Wa. (I-5).

By dbird - 10 Years Ago
You mentioned the Blackhawk Museum, If you decide to go there, try to make it on the first Sunday of the month, They have an event called Cars and Coffee which is just a parking lot show, but last month, I was told, 320 cars showed up.

You might also check out the Good Guys calendar, various shows all over the country. I don't know about the rest of their shows, but the ones in Pleasanton, CA are really large.

Don
lyonroad (1/28/2014)
ian57tbird (1/28/2014)
If these events combined a quilting convention with them I could attend everything.

Here you go. The annual Ladner Quilt Walk and Car Show will be held in Ladner B.C.August 17, 2014. Last year the CVA PNW region held their annual meeting in conjunction with this show. Ladner is about 20minutes from the US border at Blaine Wa. (I-5).

Sounds like you could cover all your bases...Vickies, other Y's and a great museum on Saturday, then 3 hours north (depending on time at the border) for quilts and more cars on Sunday.
Wow, I can't believe you found a car show with quilts! I'm getting some great info, it's all going into the diary.

Thanks for the offer Marc, it would be great to catch up with some Y people on the trip.

Sorry I'm a bit lost with some of the abbreviations. I guessed PNW is pacific north west but a lot of the others have got me confused.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far.
PNW = Pacific Northwest
CVA = Crown Victoria Association