57 Ford Center Section Pinion Yoke

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic96850.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Rono - 11 Years Ago
I found an original 1957 Ford rear end in a utility trailer that I am using for my coupe build. The center section has 3.56 open gears that I was going to run for now, but the pinion yoke is not all there. From my research I've found that this yoke has the part# B8A-4851-B and uses threaded end caps not U bolts. I've tried several times to replace the yoke with a 1310 style yoke so that I can get a driveshaft built, but the 3 yokes I've tried do not fit correctly on the pinion shaft. So, I either need to find these threaded end caps to use on the yoke I have or change out the ring and pinion (I guess) so I can use a 1310 style yoke and universal joint. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions??

Rono
By Glen Henderson - 11 Years Ago
Ron unless you can find a deal, you will be money ahead to ditch the 57 center section and replace with a later 9'' center section. The 57 pinion seals are very expensive and are getting hard to find. Any later 28 spline 9'' will drop in and will most likely cost less than a new seal and pinion flange.
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Glen;
When I pulled the center section out to inspect it, I replaced the pinion seal. So, I guess I threw some money away if I can't figure this out. I just wanted to get the car rolling so I don't need a driveshaft right away. Eventually I wanted to put a 3.70 posi (trac Loc) when I could afford it.

Rono
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
What part of the replacement yokes do not fit up correctly? The ring and pinions for the 9” rears are pretty much universal from 1957 and forward assuming it has 28 splines on the pinion. The yokes are likewise interchangeable unless you're using the shorter yokes designed for the 'Daytona' pinion support.
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Ted;
I have pictures of the yoke I have, but for some reason the picture attachment option is down on the site. The other yokes I've tried have too long of a collar below the flange area so that the yoke does not go all the way down on the pinion shaft where it contacts the crush washer. The length of my collar is 13/16"long and the yoke is 28 spline. The driveshaft I want to get is from "Southern Speed" and they basically need a 1310 style U Joint that uses 1&1/16" end caps. I don't even know what these original 1957 pinion yokes used.

Rono
By Hoosier Hurricane - 11 Years Ago
Ron:

The 3.56 ratio and the threaded end caps makes me wonder if you are looking at a '49-'56 third member.
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
John;
You may be right, but it sure looks like a 9" rear housing (not an 8.8). The case #'s are WAB 4025-B if that helps with the I.D. any. I would attach pictures, but that option seems to have gone away.

Rono
By slumlord444 - 11 Years Ago
I am a little confused. My '57 Bird has U bolts. I sort of recall seeing the caps with bolts but my memory fails me at the moment.
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
I found out that this pinion yoke came on 1957-1959 Ford 9"rears. It uses a 1310 series 1949-1959 Ford Wing style combination greasable U Joint which are available at Denny's Driveshaft.

Rono
By 312T85Bird - 11 Years Ago
The '57 was the first year of the 9" and the standard gear with a three speed was 3:56 and with over drive 3:70 however you could order an Overdrive with 3:56's BUT all 1957 FORDs used U Bolts on the yoke so the info you are getting is incorrect and most 1957 part numvers would prefix with B5 or B6 or B7 as B8 would be 1958 and newer. The correct number for a 1957 actually starts with a "C" as it is C2SZ-D-4851-C or so my book says so.
I believe that Hill's Thunderbird Center has these at 1-800-562-1955

Tom
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Here is the link sent to me from Denny's Driveshaft describing the 57-59 winged U Joint.
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p1233_1310_to_1949_1959_ford_wing_style.html

Rono
By ecode ragtop - 11 Years Ago
I thought that Ford cars stopped using the winged joint in 1955?
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
ecode ragtop (12/5/2013)

And I was thinking that 1956 was the last year for the winged u-joint in the Ford cars.
By 312T85Bird - 11 Years Ago
I have never seen one on a '57, However all MGF's be it FORD, Garage Mans Companion, Chrysler or whoever bought from all different venders so there is a Possibility that a few somewhere had that style. Slim, but always a chance.

Tom
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Okay....so are they not as strong than a conventional U bolt type?

Rono
By bird55 - 11 Years Ago
ecode ragtop (12/5/2013)

yeah, me too? I have a new one in the box if anyone needs one also a good used one still on the driveshaft from my bird leftover after I converted over to a new nine inch rear.
By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
I really don't know about the strength. There is a lot more material there and wider clamping surfaces so I would think they would be better. The Moroso competition u-joint caps are very similar. I think I recall someone using them with a little modification. Maybe it was Rob (in the British colony to the north). Chuck
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
MoonShadow (12/6/2013)
The Moroso competition u-joint caps are very similar. I think I recall someone using them with a little modification. Maybe it was Rob (in the British colony to the north). Chuck

I'm using Moroso U-joint girdles. No modification is required but I did have to make a tool out of a combination wrench and allen wrench in order to tighten the bolts.
By StillOutThere - 11 Years Ago
I just replaced the 1310 style -"winged" joint that was original in my '57 Ranchero. Also replaced the pinion seal with one from Rock Auto. Had the assembly balanced at Thrash Driveshaft Service in San Antonio, TX. Ready to rock 'n roll once the ice melts down here !!!
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Are you still running the 3.56 ratio gears in your 57? I think that the 3.56 gears were only used in the wagons and Rancheros, but I might be wrong on that. Also, if you are still running the 3.56 ring and pinion, where did you get the new yoke to fit?

Rono
By StillOutThere - 11 Years Ago
Rono, Not sure if you are addressing me or someone else. My '57 Ranchero is stick, OD with the 4.11 gears. Thrash supplied all parts to build the new driveshaft.
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
StillOutThere;
Yes, I was responding to your last post. I thought you had the original 3.56 ring and pinion and was wondering if the original pinion gear had/has a longer shaft or something because the original pinion yoke is shorter than the newer "short" Ford 9" pinion yokes. This is why I can't use a new "short" pinion yoke on the old, stock 3.56 pinion shaft. The new pinion yokes contact the crush sleeve before being all the way down on the splines. The 4.11 ring and pinion you have is a newer set-up even if it is in the original 57 center section. Maybe that's why the newer "short" pinion yoke fits on your pinion shaft. Hope this makes sense

Rono
By yblock - 10 Years Ago

Hoosier Hurricane (12/4/2013)
Ron:

The 3.56 ratio and the threaded end caps makes me wonder if you are looking at a '49-'56 third member.

easey way to insure 9in is the lower capscrew holding the pot in can only be removed with a boxend (socket wont work.
my 57 ranchero has rear ujoint that is threaded,4 5/16 capscrews hold it to flange. tho it uses the smaller seal in the pot,so suspect a chang,also it is 3.25 ratio. tha cause of the leak was yoke not going on far enough.i solved by useing a 1/8 thick washer,trimed on the lath. worked great. also years ago i had a 57 merc it had the same yoke, but the gen 1 large seal.
some 1 may know when the small seal went into service. this Old stuff is a never ending learning curve,great fun
By CK and his 55Tbird - 10 Years Ago
Please pardon the grubby, greasy diff yet this is my 55' Tbird diff. I think it is a 57 dana? http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/c6ae8119-1067-40cb-9c1f-56d7.JPG
Thunderbird HQ list it as a 57'Yet I got a uni to match from Tee Bird products inc.
The caps are about 1" dia. in the shaft.

If any one can confirm that this diff is a Dana that would be great as I'd like to source a Posi.
And before you suggest a 9" I started out my time fabricating 9" diffs for just about every thing and they are heavy,
especially when you start putting 31 spline gear in them. The pinion support make for simple adjustment though.
These do break too.
I have seen the Dana advertised as 11 and 19 spline. Can any one enlighten this????
By lyonroad - 10 Years Ago
CK, the Dana 44 in my '56 pickup has a 44 cast into the back side of the axle housing near the pumpkin. Google Dana 44 images. They are fairly distinictive looking.
Checked it yet only found a T inside a shape like a superman diamond?There is a casting on the other side which is a C and a 1 together, I fgure this means it was cast in Cleveland.
Could this be a Dana 8.9" as it looks the same as the Dana 44 8" yet it is a banjo housing and not a salsbury?