New project: 1954 Mercury Sun Valley... doubts on numbers, color, parts...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic95247.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 36 conv sedan - 11 Years Ago
Hi all:

I am new to the forum. I just got myself a new project with which I am very excited: a 1954 Mercury Sun Valley. I have been trying to find out some info in other fórums with no luck, so I am trying my luck here.

My car was originally assembled in Mexico (it has the MEX letters in the VIN) and it has it's original invoice.

First of all, I would love to check where can I find a chassis number and engine number in the car, to check that they correspond to the papers I have. I have checked the engine block with no luck so far.

Second, I would like to know about colors: I have read that Sun Valleys were supplied in two tone Green or in yellow body and Green top. My invoice states my car was White body and Green top. It was sold in March 1954, so I am guessing it is a rather late car. Would the color had to do with being a Mexican car or probably because it was a late model?

Third, in case anybody might have some spare parts to sell, I need many of them, but at least: carburetor, air cleaner, plexiglass top, mouldings for the top (yes, I only have a hole now), fender skirts, mercomatic emblem and the rest of the emblems.

Thanks,
victor
By YBLOCKMERC - 11 Years Ago
I've been told by a life-long Ford mechanic and '54 Sun Valley restorer that there were actually four color combinations including the white/green you have and an all white version.

Also, I have a correct '54 Merc manifold, carb & air cleaner that I would sell, and I have access to a number of the parts you need. You can email me @ roadqwesty914@comcast.net.

'54 Mercs are great cars, I've had mine for over 20 years now.
By alanfreeman - 11 Years Ago
'54 Ford and Mercury cars other than convertibles had VIN # stampings on three places on the frame, two of which are hidden. The one location that can be seen is on the top surface of the frame rail on the passenger side between the core support and the upper control arm. The two hidden numbers are on the upper surface of one of the crossmember, close to where the transmission mounts and on the upper passenger side surface of the frame crossmember at the very rear of the frame. The convertible models do not have the same crossmember as the other models and the factory did not stamp the VIN numbers on the "X" member so they only have the two VIN stampings at the front and rear. Alan S. Freeman
By alanfreeman - 11 Years Ago
'54 Fords and Mercurys do not have matching frame/engine numbers. The frame stamping # is the VIN. Alan S. Freeman
By Ted - 11 Years Ago

If the frame VIN placement is similar to the 1955/1956 Fords, then one of the hidden VIN’s will be stamped on the top of the frame at the back frame brace on the right side. The body must be off the frame to see this particular number.

Thanks guys! What about engine number? Is it stamped somewhere in the engine? I checked for it and could not see it.
By BudMan - 11 Years Ago
Hi Victor - I am about halfway through a Sun Valley restoration. As you proceed with your project and you have questions, you can email me at slderrick@live.com and I will try to help you. I do have some Sun Valley specific parts.

Bud
By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
The early engines did not have a vin number on them. For super accurate restoration they go with the date codes of production to see if that part was available on the date the car was completed. Unless you plan to build a "perfect" car for concourse judging its not necessary. Chuck
Good to know on the engine not having numbers. That gives me the possibility to check which of my two cars has the most correct and best engine, and keep that one in the Sun Valley.

One of the cars, the Sun Valley, is an automatic transmission car and has the dual exhausts, while the Monterey has a regular standard transmission (no overdrive) and the manifold shows it originally had one exhaust but has been adapted now to two. Of course, whatever engine I use in the Sun Valley I will use the dual exhaust.

By the way, very active forum. I already emailed Marc and Bud. Thank you all for your help,

victor
By Y block Billy - 11 Years Ago
The early ones were usually dearborne blocks so it would be by the disttributor!
Thanks for the tip. I will take a look by mid next week and report back.

victor
I just took a look at the casting codes and fortunately both cars, the Sun Valley and the Monterey, still have their original 256 engines, code EBY according to the y-block site... so I will choose the best one for the Sun Valley.

Anybody out there with a correct carb and air cleaner I could buy? I am also looking for fender skirts and the Sun Valley specific trim.

Thanks!
Victor
By iowa fords - 11 Years Ago
I have a few Sunvalley parts mostly re-plated stuff, I have owned my all white Sunvalley for over 40 years, and have a garage full on Merc stuff
Tom:

Interesting to read about your all White car! Was it that way originally? In my case, my data plate has the space for color and options empty, only the serial number engraved with the MEX letters, indicating it was assembled in Mexico, but my original invoice states the car as being Green and White and shows it as a rather late car, being sold in March 1954.

Great to know about the parts. I will contact you directly or feel free to contact me at vmilkeg at paniplus dot com dot mx.

Thanks,
Victor