Oil pumps at Summitracing

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic93921.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 1957.312 - 11 Years Ago
Hi

Does anyone know if the Melling pump is worth the 119.99 instead of the Sealed Power for 69.99?

I am building a 312 with a 1957 292 block and ECZ-G heads.

Thanks

Johan
By Larry D - 11 Years Ago
Hi Johan,

I've always purchased my oil pumps from Doug Garifo at Precision Oil Pumps in Clovis, California. Best you'll find at $99.95 and he offers a billet drive for about $18.00.
He's on ebay or contact him directly at www.precisionoilpumps.com
By Ted - 11 Years Ago

It might be worth knowing where the pumps are actually manufactured. The Sealed Power pistons coming out of India are problematic with the skirts breaking.

By lyonroad - 11 Years Ago

I've always purchased my oil pumps from Doug Garifo at Precision Oil Pumps in Clovis, California. Best you'll find at $99.95 and he offers a billet drive for about $18.00.
He's on ebay or contact him directly at www.precisionoilpumps.com

I've purchased a pump and billet drive from Doug as well. I've not tested it yet but I like the fact that he blueprints them at what seems to be no extra cost. There is an explanation on what he does on his web site.
By 1957.312 - 11 Years Ago
Ok, thanks for your replies!

Ill look into Precision Oil Pumps. Forgot about that. I bought a valve relief kit and an oil pump from there for my FE406 6V a couple of yars ago!

Thanks

Johan
By Doug T - 11 Years Ago
Now I am a little confused, I seem to remember that the gyrotor pump introduced in '57 was prefered to the gear style from '56 and before. This was said to be because the '56 style is supposed to induce more vibration through the shaft to the distributor causing more spark scatter. Sounds somewhat plausable although maybe not the most important thing to consider. But I see that Precision Pumps is selling the gear type. So What gives?
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
The gear type is the only one that is available new. The gerotor pumps can only be had used but are pretty easy to find and rebuild kits are available.
By yblock - 11 Years Ago
oil pumpsjust bought 1 from napa blain wa. tag says m42(asume mellings) price64.46. lordco wamted 120 for the same pump. 57 ranchero 292 4v. surrey bc
By speedpro56 - 11 Years Ago
All the original 56 312s I bought back in the 60s had Gerotor pumps, not until I bought a 292 did I notice the difference.
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Seems like all the heavy duty 292 truck motors I've pulled apart from about 1959 to 1961 model years had the gerotor type oil pumps.

Rono
By The Horvaths - 11 Years Ago
Factoid: The gerotor rebuild kit is Melling #K56. They are simple to rebuild. Kits are still available.
By yblock - 10 Years Ago
gerotor oil pumps,agree that many wher used on industrial engines,cheap to make but vulenerable to debree as alum bodey,which made for easey gauling of lower bodey,and more likely for releaf valve to stick. i see rebuild kits avail but think is a riskey idea. the castiron gear pump is the beter in myexp. just dismant a 60s ind 292 with a gerotor pump it was chewed up and not worth repair,as oil pump has only the suction screen to keep out stuff