Pressure plate bolts

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic90158.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Slick111 - 11 Years Ago
OK what's going on here starting to bolt my pressure plate up to the flywheel on a 292 stock 3 speed flywheel the holes in the fly wheel are nether 1/4 or 5/16 the threads look OK not trashed what size is stock/supposed to be ?
By Hoosier Hurricane - 11 Years Ago
5/16-18.
By 312T85Bird - 11 Years Ago
5/16 with 18 per inch but remember that they are grade 8 and not hardware store bolts. You can always order a bolt pack per application from Ft. Wayne Clutch in Ft. wayne, Indiania, U.S.A.

312T85Bird
By lyonroad - 11 Years Ago
I always go to the parts store and get actual pressure plate bolts. They have the correct shoulder on them so each bolt is centered in the p/p bolt hole and that keeps the pressure plate where it is supposed to be.
OK up date my fly wheel is hosed machine shop says the bolt holes have been plugged as in a bolt screwed in to the orriginal bad holes and machined off redrilled & threaded and then stripped out again.But they had a good used one all ready to go for $110 with all the new grade 8 bolts They changed out the starter gear off the old bad one and pressed it on too.

Questions on torques

1 flywheel to crank shaft bolts ?

2 Pressure plate to flywheel bolts ?
Flywheel to crank 75 to 85 Lbs. Plate to flywheel 12 to 15 LBS. These are per my trusty factory Shop Manual.

312T85Bird
312T85Bird (10/15/2013)
Flywheel to crank 75 to 85 Lbs. Plate to flywheel 12 to 15 LBS. These are per my trusty factory Shop Manual.

312T85Bird

Thanks a bunch
By Oldmics - 11 Years Ago
Machine shop should be able to redrill and tap the P/P holes at another location on the flywheel.

Oldmics
Oldmics (10/15/2013)
Machine shop should be able to redrill and tap the P/P holes at another location on the flywheel.

Oldmics

Reason I did not redrill is the shop showed me too many defects such as heat cracks already been resurfaced at least once let alone the botched up holes and they charge $85 per hour to relocate and drill & tap holes I got a whole resurfaced flywheel with new bolt sets changed my starter gear out the door for $110
By Lou - 11 Years Ago
Make sure the bolts are not too long, or the engine will not turn.
It is what FORD called from in the original Factory manuals, so i go with what FORD says.

312T85Bird