Reversed polarity

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic83819.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By STX - 11 Years Ago
I'm helping a widow to fix a 1955 Mercury. Her husband had reversed the polarity, so now it is 6 volt negative ground. It does not charge at all. So I plan to make it positive ground again. Are there connections that should be reversed, except for the battery?

Can you use a 6 volt positive ground charging relay in a negative ground car?
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
If you ground the correct post yes. But I'd bet money it's wired wrong and the generator wasn't polarized.
By pintoplumber - 11 Years Ago
When I bought my 55 club sedan it was 6 volt negative ground. All I did was reverse the battery cables and repolarize the generator. I'm with Frank, I'll bet the regulator doesn't work anymore.
By Moz - 11 Years Ago
remind me again how to polarize the generator, I've never done it even though its been of several times
By pintoplumber - 11 Years Ago
When reinstalling a regulator, disconnect the field wire from the terminal at the regulator. Hook up the battery cable. Momentarily touch the field wire to the bat terminal at the regulator. Reconnect the field wire to the field terminal. You're done.
By Moz - 11 Years Ago
thanks Dennis, I've wondered why it needed to be done, I thought it must have something to do with charging, but my generator seems to charge fine.