Oil Dip Stick

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic76431.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Richard - 12 Years Ago
Is there an alternative to the 312 passenger car oil dip stick.
By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
Alternative how? Location or chrome? Chuck
By carl - 12 Years Ago
i guess you could put a sight glass on it Carl w00t
Typical old Y-Blocks don't need a site glass. Just check how fresh the oil looks coming out of the rear main! Tongue Chuck
By Ted - 12 Years Ago
MoonShadow (10/28/2012)
Typical old Y-Blocks don't need a site glass. Just check how fresh the oil looks coming out of the rear main! Tongue Chuck
Chuck.  That would be funny if it wasn’t so true.  That’s like saying “Show me a Y Block that not leaking oil and I’ll show you a Y that’s out of oil” or “Don’t mind the oil spot, the Y is just marking its territory”.
By Ted - 12 Years Ago
Richard (10/28/2012)
Here’s the Canton universal dipstick adapted to the Y.  By tapping the existing oil dipstick hole in the block to ¼” NPT, the universal dipstick fits right in place.  The top of the dipstick tube is then cut down until the oil level reads on the ‘full’ mark.  Works for either the front or rear mount dipstick locations.

Wasn't Mummert offering a stainless steel dip stick tube? I bought one online years ago and used a chrome dipstick from a Mopar. It was plenty long so I cut it down to match the original length and marked the full and quart low lines. Works for me. Chuck
By slick56 - 10 Years Ago
Ted (10/29/2012)
MoonShadow (10/28/2012)
Chuck.  That would be funny if it wasn’t so true.  That’s like saying “Show me a Y Block that not leaking oil and I’ll show you a Y that’s out of oil” or “Don’t mind the oil spot, the Y is just marking its territory”.

On the Bsa Rocket i used to have, i would explain that it was "oozing nostalgia"

By Outlaw56 - 10 Years Ago
Ted (10/29/2012)
Richard (10/28/2012)
Here’s the Canton universal dipstick adapted to the Y.  By tapping the existing oil dipstick hole in the block to ¼” NPT, the universal dipstick fits right in place.  The top of the dipstick tube is then cut down until the oil level reads on the ‘full’ mark.  Works for either the front or rear mount dipstick locations.

Obviously this would have to be done when the engine is apart or at least the oil pan off?