Rear end question

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic51574.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By dbzach64C - 14 Years Ago
Here are a couple of questions for you guys out there that are familiar with Ford rear ends. I have been told that Ford put a 9" rear end in some 56 station wagons and sedan deliverys. Is this true? Second, is the 9" that was put in cars starting 1957 the same width as the stock rear end in my 56 Victoria? The gear set in my Victoria gave out and we're having no luck finding new gears so we're beginning to explore other options. Thanks
By John Mummert - 14 Years Ago
49-56 Passenger cars used aTimken differential. Mercs, Wagons, Sedan deliveries and F-100's used a Dana 44. None of the these have gear sets that will interchange with a 9".
By carl - 14 Years Ago
John  Did the 55 and 56 mercs have the same dana 44 as the 55 56 ford wagons,birds and police cars ?  Carl
Thanks for the reply John. I guess what I'm asking is not whether the gear sets will interchange, but was the Dana 44 a 9"'? Also, how does the width of the 9" differential in the 57s and up compare to the width of the stock 56 rear end? How much modification is required to put a 57 rear end under a 56?Thanks
By paul2748 - 14 Years Ago
dbzach64C (11/4/2010)
Thanks for the reply John. I guess what I'm asking is not whether the gear sets will interchange, but was the Dana 44 a 9"'? Also, how does the width of the 9" differential in the 57s and up compare to the width of the stock 56 rear end? How much modification is required to put a 57 rear end under a 56?Thanks

\

I'm not John, but the 54 thru 59 had the same width rears, wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. Spring mounting pad were the same (or within a 1/2 inch) - but I am not sure of this for the 59. The Dana 44 did not have a removable center section like the other sedans had.
By PWH42 - 14 Years Ago
To answer one of your questions.....No, the dana 44 used in wagons, police cars,  all cars that came with a 312 and sedan deliveries in 56 is not a 9 inch.It's completely different from any other rear end Ford used.
By aussiebill - 14 Years Ago
paul2748 (11/4/2010)
dbzach64C (11/4/2010)

\
I'm not John, but the 54 thru 59 had the same width rears, wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. Spring mounting pad were the same (or within a 1/2 inch) - but I am not sure of this for the 59. The Dana 44 did not have a removable center section like the other sedans had.

And with the Dana 44, i found once here that  the crown wheel carrier offset was different depending on the ratio gearset in the diff, and was difficult to match different g/sets to get setup done, just my expeirence.Wink

By Hoosier Hurricane - 14 Years Ago
Carl:

I believe the wheel bolt pattern was different on Mercs in that era, but have no way to verify that.

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
dbzach64C (11/4/2010)
.....Is the 9" that was put in cars starting 1957 the same width as the stock rear end in my 56 Victoria? ....
Yes.

The ’57 & ’58 car housings are a bolt in under the ’55 & ’56 Ford cars.  Even the parking brake cables hook up correctly.  The ’59 car housing is the same width as the ‘55/’56 car but the spring perches are slightly more outboard on the '59 housing which ideally needs to be relocated to accommodate the narrower width springs of the earlier Fords.  U-Joints are different from '56 to '57 though so some work in that area will have to be performed before bolting up the driveshaft.

By Canadian Hot Rodder - 14 Years Ago
I put a 57 9" under my 56 and it was basically a bolt in. Only thing I had to change was the rear joint on my drive shaft. I used the big truck yoke (3 3/4") so I could use the bigger stronger U-joints, but if I remember correctly the stock 57 yoke was the same size as the 56 so no cutting required? Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
By MoonShadow - 14 Years Ago
Is the 58 Edsel rear end the same width as Ford? Chuck in NH
By John Mummert - 14 Years Ago
I parted out a 55 merc wagon years ago (1967) and as I recall the wheels would not fit a Ford. The bolt pattern was larger.

Zero experience with Edsels

By Hoosier Hurricane - 14 Years Ago
Edsels came in two versions, the "smaller" one was based on a Ford, the "larger" one based on a Merc.  I would think the 292 powered Edsels would have the Ford rear, the big engined ones would have the wider Merc rear.  Just a guess.
Thanks for all the assistence. A complete 9" rear end from a 57 car has been located and now the work begins.
By Oldmics - 14 Years Ago
I am scabbing a 9" from a 58 Edsel wagon.

It measures the same to fit perfectly under one of my T Birds.The backing plates/brake shoe/drums setup is different (larger on the Edsel) so I need to use the T Bird stuff.

The bigger rear brakes would be nice BUT Edsel wagon drums are hard to find and the wagon drums are not availiable as repops as far as I know.

Oldmics

By marvh - 14 Years Ago
Oldmics (11/6/2010)
I am scabbing a 9" from a 58 Edsel wagon.

It measures the same to fit perfectly under one of my T Birds.The backing plates/brake shoe/drums setup is different (larger on the Edsel) so I need to use the T Bird stuff.

The bigger rear brakes would be nice BUT Edsel wagon drums are hard to find and the wagon drums are not available as repops as far as I know.

Oldmics

Oldmics:

You can use the backing plates off a 1960s' wagons as Ford used the 9 inch through these years. Just note what year of wagon the backing plates came off of as some of the wagons used 2.25" shoes and others used 2.5" shoes The advantage is by using the later backing plates these have wider shoes and the drums are available from you regular supplier. If you use a 64 up wagon backing plates they have self adjusting brakes also. The 57-59 station wagons, retractable and rancheros had drums of their own. New are not available and used ones are very expensive. The later wagons backing plates have a greater offset than the original 57-59 backing plate to accommodate the wider shoes. Your park brake cables with fit. Some of the wagon backing plates are a little thicker so takes effort to get the park brake cable clips to lock.

Just check if the backing plates and axles are held in by 3/8" bolts. If your housing has 3/8 bolts the backing plate mounting circle and bearings are the same as the small bearing full sized cars. If you housing has 1/2" bolts the bearings and backing plates are the same as a wagon. The wagons (57 up) had the medium bearings and axles are held in by 1/2" bolts. Just a note check also wheel bolt circle to see if not 1/2 ton as they used the large bearings with 1/2" bolts.

marv
By Y block Billy - 14 Years Ago
To Answer Chuck, I used a 57 edsel 9" rear in my 55 and it was bolt in, if 58 is the same as the 57 it should work, but as others mentioned if the car came with a Y block or the big 400's there could be a difference.

As Far as shoes go I think they are all still available in my area anyway. we have a truck brake shop that used to be called brake service, they were bought out by another company which is called precision products (I think) and they just do brakes, drive shafts and U joints, I just tell them I want 2" 2.25" or 2.5" X 11 Ford shoes and no problems.

By PF Arcand - 14 Years Ago
Billy: Maybe I've missed something here, but I'm not aware of there being any 57 Edsels. Only 58 thru 59 & a handful of 60's.
By yblock - 10 Years Ago
55and 56 tbirds as well as54,55,56 station wagons and 55-56 pickups all used the same style diff,wher the pot is integeral. ther bigest down fall was spider shafts would come loose in the ring gear carier.had that isue in my1st 55tbird as well as 56merc pickup.repaird 1 and found a good 56rearaxel asm at a swapmeet.still lots around in the vancouver aria.i also have never heard of a 57edsel,just a slip of the key board i amsure,or a shot to see if we ar paying atention. cliff in cloverdale bc, 57rachero
By Frankenstein57 - 10 Years Ago
Back in the dirt tack sportsman days, we would try to find the Mercury suspension parts. The bigger stuff used a 5 X 5 wheel pattern, as opposed to the 5 X 4.5 pattern. We also used GM buick wheels which were stronger. The edsel models, some were based off the ford and some the mercury
By STX - 10 Years Ago
Some answers, and more questions.
All 1954 Mercs except station wagon used a Ford rear axle with removable center similar to the 9 inch, but with a weak 8.25" ring.

1954 Merc station wagons used Dana/Spicer 44 with a 8.5" ring.

ALL 1955 and 1956 Mercs used the Dana/Spicer 45 with a strong? 8.75" ring, which is not a Dana 44, but similar.

1954 Mercs used 4,5" bolt circle, same as Ford.

1955 and 1956 Mercs used 5" bolt circle.

Questions:
Is a 1954 Merc passenger rear end identical to 1954-1956 Ford?

Has the 1964-1966 Mustang 9" rear end the same spring pad distance as the 1954 Merc?

Which rear end yokes are the same on 50's and 60's Ford/Merc?
By yalincoln - 10 Years Ago
merc. used the same dana rear as ford f-100, up to 56, with pick-up bolt pattern, dana. when I tore up the rear end in my old man's 51 f-100 pick-up, we used a early 50's merc. rear because the local yard didn't have a pick-up rear.