Testing results with ported Mummert aluminum heads

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic47976.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Ted - 14 Years Ago

The ported Mummert aluminum heads have now been dyno tested on the 375” EMC engine and after the noise abated, was rewarded with a 52HP increase over the ported iron 113 heads that were used in last years EMC competition.  Both sets of heads were tested on the same day to keep weather variables out of the mix.  There’s still a bunch of tuning yet to do but this was a nice improvement for just a head swap and minimal tuneup work.  Total timing for the iron heads was 39° while the timing for the aluminum heads is 32°.  Distributor curve is currently the same for both heads but in looking at the data, the aluminum heads look to prefer something different in how the curve is applied.  This will be worked out when testing starts back up.  Shop temperatures were in excess of 100°F so consider this race day tuneup stuff.  And remember this is still a street engine that’s running on 91 octane gasoline.

In the mean time, here are a pair of graphs which do more in telling the whole story in lieu of just typing out a bunch of numbers.

By Glen Henderson - 14 Years Ago
525 HP and 480 ft lbs, that ain't bad at all! Drop it in the 56 and see how many heads you can turn. I got to get me a set of those. Great job John and Ted!
By charliemccraney - 14 Years Ago
Now that is more in line with the other engines. And it doesn't drop off after it peaks. It looks kinda like it's coming back for a little more as it approaches 7k.

I think we might start seeing na race engines in the 550 to 600hp range.
By JJ - 14 Years Ago
Congratulations Guys, well done.Wink
By Grizzly - 14 Years Ago
Congratulations Ted and John,

Looks like you bumped the Y block to over 500hp By a bit w00t A big bit Cool

Congratulations on achieving the goal of making a 500hp Y block. 

By Don Woodruff - 14 Years Ago
Very interesting, the RPM and torque ranges were not moved, just the magnitudes changed. Very little lost on the bottom end. Very neat. John has really done himself proud.
By bird55 - 14 Years Ago
Hats off to this endeavor. It's been great to see it all unfold. Can't wait to see an hear what happens next!
By MoonShadow - 14 Years Ago
Gee Ted how about a test on my "new" engine with the heads? BigGrin Chuck in NH

PS: when your done testing the heads, now that they are "used", can I have them! Smile

By John Mummert - 14 Years Ago
Great job Ted! Your score at this year's EMC should surprise a lot of peoplew00t
By Glen Henderson - 14 Years Ago
Ted, using these numbers, where would you have finished last year?
By Y block Billy - 14 Years Ago
Great great great great great great Job Guy's.
By Daniel Jessup - 14 Years Ago
Holy Ported Heads, Batman!! w00t
By Ted - 14 Years Ago
Glen Henderson (8/7/2010)
Ted, using these numbers, where would you have finished last year?
Preliminary dyno pulls with the aluminum heads adds 123.8 points to last years score which still isn’t enough to move the Y entry up any higher in the 2009 rankings.  Even with the aluminum heads, the Y entry still gets beat out by the next best player on the list which was the Ford 427 SOHC.  That entry was 210 points ahead of last years Y entry.  Some more fine tuning in regards to carburetion and distributor curve is expected bring the score up some more though.  Waiting on some more parts before continuing testing so time will tell.
By John Mummert - 14 Years Ago
 From looking at the graph it seems like there would be some nice gains in the front side of the curve.  The Hp per cubic and the tq per cubic inch look respectable this early in the game.
By yalincoln - 14 Years Ago
anyone got an idea on how many cars will be at col. with aluminum heads, thanks.
By Ted - 14 Years Ago
yalincoln (8/14/2010)
anyone got an idea on how many cars will be at col. with aluminum heads, thanks.
I’m only personally aware of one car right now that will be at Columbus with the aluminum heads.  It’s a street car and will likely be a tire shredder as it will be running street tires.  Not mine and I’m not at liberty to say who it is.  Just another reason for those who haven’t been to the Y-Shootout at National Trails Dragway to make that trek so they can see the new stuff first hand.
By yalincoln - 14 Years Ago
thanks ted