Intake manifold testing on the new heads

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic46008.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Ted - 14 Years Ago

Before removing the Mummert aluminum heads from the dyno mule engine, a morning was spent in trying several other intake setups on the heads.  Final conclusion is that many of the early intake designs are going to be a bottleneck on the aluminum heads in the upper rpm ranges.  No surprise there as I see this also on ported iron heads.  For many of these intakes though, the low end torque values were still very strong which is a credit to the flow properties of the new aluminum heads.  The Mummert aluminum single four intake is still by far the best overall performer of all the intakes tested to this point and compliments the aluminum heads nicely.

Pete’s Panel (6/3/2010)
Ted, do you think the performance of the Cain manifold will improve with the alloy heads???

The Cain 4V intake was tested at the tail end of this particular session and although the horsepower numbers with the Cane intake were stronger than the 3X2 and 2X4 setups with the aluminum heads in place, the torque curve still remains on the low side and lazy.   But compared to the last time the Cane intake was tested, the overall torque curve is much higher with this engine combination than as tested before.  The use of long tube headers in this recent test versus the short 'two tube' design used in the earlier test possibly accounts for most of the torque improvement.  Regardless, the open plenum and runnerless design of the Cain intake just isn’t conducive to making good peak torque numbers even when experimenting with a variety of carb spacers.  Here’s the graphs showing the Cain intake manifold’s best performance on the aluminum heads versus when it was used previously on a set of highly ported iron heads on a similarly sized engine.  Camming and headers were different on the two different engines being tested so it’s not an apples to apples test.

By Ted - 14 Years Ago

And here are a pair of graphs comparing the Cane and Mummert intake manifolds on the aluminum heads in a back to back test.  In this instance, the intakes were simply swapped with everything else remaining basically the same.  A variety of carbs and carb spacers were tried on the Cane manifold and what you see here is the best dyno pull with the Cane intake that resulted from that exercise as compared to the Mummert intake.  The carburetor ended up being the same for both intakes.

By John Mummert - 14 Years Ago
Ted, the Cain manifold looks like it could work if there was some way to isolate the runners. But then the plenum would look as good.

I've made tons of sketches of Y-Block intakes that will go past the limitations of our current street dual plane. I know some guys are going to want 500hp and trying to find that in anything that is available now is going to take a tremendous amount of work. There just isn't an easy way to make a true race intake for the Y-Block.

Still thinking about it.

By Grizzly - 14 Years Ago
Am I right in understanding that the new aluminium heads have been tested with 3x2 and 2x4 manifolds?

Could we have details???

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
John Mummert (6/24/2010)
Ted, the Cain manifold looks like it could work if there was some way to isolate the runners. But then the plenum would not look as good.

I've made tons of sketches of Y-Block intakes that will go past the limitations of our current street dual plane. I know some guys are going to want 500hp and trying to find that in anything that is available now is going to take a tremendous amount of work. There just isn't an easy way to make a true race intake for the Y-Block.

Still thinking about it.

John.  Here's some rambling thoughts on the subject.

Although I’ve only tested the Cain intake manifold on two different engines, the initial observation is that it does perform better with milder cams.  As the lobe centerline increases (overlap decreases), the lowend torque values do improve.  With the first homemade single plane intake that was on my Roadster, there was some reversion taking place at cylinders 1 & 2 although the intake was designed with full runners.  By making the runners longer and with a different degree of taper in the runners on the second fabricated intake manifold, lowend performance was significantly improved while the engine also saw an increase of thirty horsepower at its peak.  With no runners at all in the Cain intake, any overlap at the valves on adjacent firing cylinders really dampens lowend performance.  With this in mind, I may yet retry the Cain intake on an engine with a wide lobe centerline camshaft just to confirm this as this would just give another insight into intake manifold design while reaffirming my initial thoughts.

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
Grizzly (6/24/2010)
Am I right in understanding that the new aluminium heads have been tested with 3x2 and 2x4 manifolds?

Could we have details???

Using the same scoring methodology that’s been used in the past, here’s how each ranked from highest to lowest.

1885.4pts - Mummert intake with 1” 4 hole spacer and 750 Holley

1841.0pts - Ford ECG-D 2X4 intake with L1437 Teapot Holleys

1817.4pts - Edebrock 573 3X2 intake with Stromberg 97’s

1743.8pts - Ford ECZ-B iron 4V intake with 1” 4 hole spacer and 465 Holley

1728.3pts - Cain open plenum intake with 2” 4 hole spacer and 750 Holley

Here are a pair of graphs summarizing the overall performance of the various intakes that have been tested on the aluminum heads.  Interesting results to say the least especially in observing the torque curves.  You'll have to take into account that the 3X2 setup is essentially under-carburetted at this point as the manifold vacuum was increasing in the upper rpm ranges.

By pegleg - 14 Years Ago
The  Ford dual Quad intake turns out to be pretty respectable for a 50 year old design. Can't say much for the B though.
By charliemccraney - 14 Years Ago
I'm liking the Edelbrock 573. Looks like it pretty well dominates for street use.
By Oldmics - 14 Years Ago
Then if sticking with the Ford dual quad intake,what would you suggest to up its performance capacitys?

Porting,perhaps different carbs??? Cool

Do you think the 56 manifold with its more restrictive casting in the carb pads would be better or worse for horsepower?

Oldmics

By aussiebill - 14 Years Ago
charliemccraney (6/25/2010)
I'm liking the Edelbrock 573. Looks like it pretty well dominates for street use.

Charlie, i came to same conclusion, the max figures seem to peak around 3600 rpm and that fits into everyday driveing range, most certainly any improvements on heads etc really keep the HP coming nearer top end range and should keep us further ahead of those other brands! Ted, big thanks for your informative graphs that make it easier to compare intake side of things.Tongue

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
Oldmics (6/25/2010)
Then if sticking with the Ford dual quad intake,what would you suggest to up its performance capacitys?

Porting,perhaps different carbs??? Cool

Do you think the 56 manifold with its more restrictive casting in the carb pads would be better or worse for horsepower?

Having never examined the ’56 2X4 intake in detail, I’ll just take a wild guess and assume it’s not going to perform as well overall as the ’57 2X4 intake especially where the head flow has been increased signficantly.  As intake manifolds get more restrictive, the lowend torque values do improve to a point but at the expense of the horsepower being lower.

At the bare minimum, port matching the Ford ECG-D 2X4 intake to the heads is expected to show a slight improvement.  Then interior port work and using Lincoln Teapot carbs would be next on the list.  Switching out to the Edelbrock 2X4 intake manifold would be the next logical change as it looks to have a better placement of the carbs over the intake ports as well as less restrictive intake runners.  Testing is really only the only way to validate many of these changes though as sometimes what looks like it will or will not work works out to be completely opposite.

Ted,

Were the 3-2 Strombergs unmodified? I'm wondering if the carbs might be restricting that intake.

It's interesting that the torque peaked at nearly the same RPM for all but the ECG-D 2-4 manifold.
By GREENBIRD56 - 14 Years Ago
After going over the graphs a couple of times - I'd like to know how the "B" manifold stands up when modified the familiar way (open slots on the carb mounting deck) and a bigger carb is installed. There is about a 10(?) foot-lb difference in peak torque as it is - and the 465 CFM carb is pretty much out of breath from there on. 
By Pete's Panel - 14 Years Ago
Another couple of pics showing the open runner design of the Cain.

The 57 ECG 2-4 intake could be modified for better performance but as Ted pointed out some low end will be lost.

STOCK. I think the passage on the right has been opened up some.

Radius upper runner entry and increase diameter of passage to lower ports.

Ports are smaller than gasket opening.

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
charliemccraney (6/26/2010)
Ted,
Were the 3-2 Strombergs unmodified? I'm wondering if the carbs might be restricting that intake.

The Stromberg 97’s are unmodified and still jetted the same as when they were used in the 3X2 intake manifold testing that took place a short time ago.  The increase in vacuum in the higher rpm ranges points to the 97’s being on the small side for serious horsepower but being undersized does help to make the lowend torque numbers as good as they are.  With Barry Grant, Edelbrock, and Speedway all manufacturing brand new carbs for the older 3 bolt carb flange intakes, chances are good that overall performance can be improved without sacrificing lowend torque.

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
GREENBIRD56 (6/26/2010)
After going over the graphs a couple of times - I'd like to know how the "B" manifold stands up when modified the familiar way (open slots on the carb mounting deck) and a bigger carb is installed. There is about a 10(?) foot-lb difference in peak torque as it is - and the 465 CFM carb is pretty much out of breath from there on. 

Haven’t tested slotted versus non-slotted on the B intakes.  Have bored out bores in the carb flange of the stock intakes though so they would accommodate larger bore carburetors but haven’t tested these against a dead stock intake manifolds either.

The stock intake is not overly responsive to the larger sized carbs and that’s simply due to the bottlenecking attributes (low flow numbers) of the factory intake.  The total engine package or combination must be considered when making changes and that means head and/or port work as well as any exhaust system mods must also be considered if contemplating intake manifold modifications.  The factory intake appears to be well matched to the stock heads but ends up being a bottleneck as the rest of the combination is being upgraded around the intake.

Here are a pair of graphs comparing the Mummert intake and a stock ECZ-B intake on a +030 312 (317 CID) iron headed engine combination that was dynoed recently.  The engine had a 228/238 cam ground on 110° lobe centers and installed 2° advanced.  The G heads being used were mildly ported and designed specifically for street use and with an automatic transmission.  A variety of carbs were also tested on this engine.

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
Here are a pair of graphs from previous testing on the +060 312 dyno mule with stock G heads where a pair of ECZ-B intake manifolds were tested in a back to back test.  While one of the manifolds was stock, the other had its plenum opened up by removing the center out of the four holes that were present and the center divider itself was also lowered.  Both intakes used a 520cfm Holley and Reds Headers.  The modified intake was using a 2½” cloverleaf (semi-open) carb spacer that matched the opening at the intake flange while the stock intake used a Moroso 1” four hole spacer.  Based on the results, there was not much change in the horsepower values and only a subtle change in the torque.  As usual, this is just food for thought.

By pegleg - 14 Years Ago
I've been told that the biggest improvement to the B is to open the Carb holes front to back to two eliptical holes. Then radius the area where the runner drops down to the rear two cylinders. Hard to reach that area until you open the plenum entry holes up. Has that been tested or is it conjecture?
What is the approximate flow for a Stromberg 97?
By Ted - 14 Years Ago
pegleg (6/29/2010)
I've been told that the biggest improvement to the B is to open the Carb holes front to back to two eliptical holes. Then radius the area where the runner drops down to the rear two cylinders. Hard to reach that area until you open the plenum entry holes up. Has that been tested or is it conjecture?
Currently working on a definitive test with the ported iron heads in regards to various single four intake manifold variations or mods.  I suspect that paticular intake modification (slotting) does standout more when the heads are ported than if used on stock heads.  From what I have observed, modifications to the intake manifold needs subsequent increases in head flow to realize any significant benefit.  Once the heads have been ported though, then the stock intake must be modified for more flow or an aftermarket intake used.
By Ted - 14 Years Ago
charliemccraney (7/7/2010)
What is the approximate flow for a Stromberg 97?
The Stromberg 97’s are generally rated at 155cfm when used individually.  Concensus has the Stromberg 81’s at 125cfm while the Stromberg 48’s are 170cfm.  The Strombergs with ‘LZ’ on them are rated at 160cfm.  The 3X2 intake manifold testing that was performed recently was with the Stromberg 97’s.  You'll have to remember that when the carbs are used in multiples, the cfm rating drops.
By PF Arcand - 14 Years Ago
Ted: That's interesting information. I'm sure most of us thought that a 3 carb setup,( in this case, 3- 97's), that the flow total would be approximately 465 cfm. In say percentage terms approximately how much flow does a Tri Power setup lose?
The ECZ-B intake can be modified to make good power but it takes a lot of work. We modified this intake before the B-T intake was available. Windows were cut in the upper runners to allow access to port turns. Floor was rounded to improve ramp to lower runners until the heat chamber was found. Holes were brazed and patches welded into ports. Made 425HP on 330 cu in Y.

Ted, I still have this intake if you're interested in a test.

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
John Mummert (7/8/2010)
The ECZ-B intake can be modified to make good power but it takes a lot of work. We modified this intake before the B-T intake was available. Windows were cut in the upper runners to allow access to port turns. Floor was rounded to improve ramp to lower runners until the heat chamber was found. Holes were brazed and patches welded into ports. Made 425HP on 330 cu in Y.

Ted, I still have this intake if you're interested in a test.

I’ll take you up on your offer on that cast iron intake.  That particular manifold would represent the extreme end of what could be done with the iron intake manifolds.  I’m thinking that particular manifold is best tested on the mule engine with the angle milled heads just to take advantage of the increased compression ratio the engine will be seeing with those heads.  The following set of ported heads drops the compression ratio back to the 9.2-9.5:1 range which would negate some of the benefits of a highly ported intake where it would try to normally shine in the upper rpm ranges with the higher compression ratio.  But I’m in a position to test that intake on both sets of heads anyhow so the compression ratio can also be properly evaluated.
By Ted - 14 Years Ago
PF Arcand (7/8/2010)
Ted: That's interesting information. I'm sure most of us thought that a 3 carb setup,( in this case, 3- 97's), that the flow total would be approximately 465 cfm. In say percentage terms approximately how much flow does a Tri Power setup lose?
Using numbers from some FE testing that was done in the past on a Superflow dyno, I’ll just throw 19% out there as the number for the cfm reduction when using three two barrel carbs.  Based on this, the 465cfm for the total of three Strombergs would net 376cfm when used together on a 3X2 setup.  If anyone has any more definitive information for this, let’s hear it.
Wow. So then there is probably a lot left with the 573. The Demon 98s are 205cfm each (498ish for 3) and the Stromberg throttle bodies for efi are about 255 cfm each (620ish for 3).

I was checking out the Demons the other day. They use a Y for the examples in the instruction book.

I wonder when the new Edelrock 3-2 manifold will be available. They say spring 2010 in the catalog.
By Hoosier Hurricane - 14 Years Ago
Ted, John:

Gary Burnette had a B manifold extrude honed a few years ago.  Maybe that one is still around and available for testing and comparing with John's extreme manifold.

By speedpro56 - 14 Years Ago
That one is on my 56 Sunliner.
By Ted - 14 Years Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (7/9/2010)
Gary Burnette had a B manifold extrude honed a few years ago.  Maybe that one is still around and available for testing and comparing with John's extreme manifold.

Besides what Gary is using on his vehicles, he has been generous enough to already send me an assortment of intakes for testing including an extruded iron intake and an extrude honed aluminum Blue Thunder.  This is on top of the extrude honed Blue Thunder intake I also have which was previously ran on the Church Brothers Thunderbird.

I’ve already done some preliminary dyno testing with the extrude honed intakes and these actually don’t perform as well as some of the hand ported intakes that are also here.  Gary and I have batted this back and forth and have come to the conclusion that the extrude honed intakes may be too slick on their insides thereby allowing some of the fuel to drop out of suspension before getting into the combustion chamber.  Gary has given me the go ahead to scuff up the insides and see if that helps.  The plan is to run the extrude honed intake again in the near future on a set of heads that will take advantage of the increased flow in the intake and then immediately ‘rough’ up the runners and rerun the manifold again to discern the difference.

By Glen Henderson - 14 Years Ago
Ted, any chance off getting the Church Bros sheet metal intake for testing?
By Ted - 14 Years Ago
Although the Hogans manifold will be on the dyno in the near future, it will likely only be compared to a hand ported Blue Thunder intake.  That’s simply because of the time frame for which the Hogans manifold will be available for testing.  But that same hand ported BT intake is going to be used on the 312 dyno mule in the near future along with the extrude honed BT intake.  This is expected to give enough data to compare the performance of the Hogans fabricated runner intake to the other intake manifolds being tested.   At this point, rough estimates puts the Hogans intake at least 20-25HP up and over the extrude honed BT intake based on the performance of the 314” Y that is currently in the Church Brothers Thunderbird.
The finished heads for Ted's EMC engine were shipped on Wednesday. We are waiting for a clarification on the rules before sending the intake manifold. There is a great deal of contradiction on what can be done to an intake manifold and what can't be done.

The new rocker stands for the aluminum heads arrived today so a set, along with hardware, are also on the way.

John,

How much work was done to the heads for the racer? I assume that you have a flow bench. I'd be really intersted in what gains have been seen and if the ported heads are still good for street use. Maybe even a run on the test mule?

Cheers

I don't know if Ted has any plans to install the EMC heads on the Mule. I don't think anyone would pay for aluminum heads and a rediculous amount of port work and put them on a nearly stock short block.

We do have 2 flow benchs and have done many hours testing and porting on these heads. Intake flow through head is 270 +-5 for all ports. With Intake manifold and carburetor 250 +-5 for all ports.

This should put Ted over the 500 mark, but only time will tell.

Valves are 1.98" intake 1.54" exhaust.

John,

I'll take your cost comment on board. Unfortunately the Y misses the economy of quantity other engines do. This wouldn't be the first aftermarket performance head to get ported (optimized).

I prefer to chase VE over capacity that I cannot fill. I was always taught to get the heads right first. I've gone back through the posts and cannot find where you state the cast intake flow, only as envisioned 260cfm. So at 270cfm the change is not significant. A great effort though to get from the cast G @ 172.  There was interest on the site before about porting I am interested if the porting affects the bottomend on a streetable engine.

It's all relative, I live on the other side of the globe I'd hate to order heads and get them only to find out that there can be a significant advantage in a small change and have to send them back.w00t 

Grizzly (7/21/2010)
John,

I'll take your cost comment on board. Unfortunately the Y misses the economy of quantity other engines do. This wouldn't be the first aftermarket performance head to get ported (optimized).

I prefer to chase VE over capacity that I cannot fill. I was always taught to get the heads right first. I've gone back through the posts and cannot find where you state the cast intake flow, only as envisioned 260cfm. So at 270cfm the change is not significant. A great effort though to get from the cast G @ 172.  There was interest on the site before about porting I am interested if the porting affects the bottomend on a streetable engine.

It's all relative, I live on the other side of the globe I'd hate to order heads and get them only to find out that there can be a significant advantage in a small change and have to send them back.w00t [/quote]

Grizzly, i dont get what you mean referring to this paragraph?

Grizzly, The first heads sent to Ted flow in the 235 range.  Having ported more Y-Block heads than I can count we put most of the tricks in the new castings right out of the box. Granted, some material has to be left around pushrod holes and headbolt holes in case of core shift ect. The out of the box head also needs to work on a 300 cu in street engine. That was the goal. There are some things that can be done in a reasonable amount of time that will increase the flow into the 250-255 CFM  range but 270CFM requires non stock port openings and pushing every corner to near the limit. This takes a great deal of time.

At 270CFM the heads will run a 320 inch engine well into the 7000 RPM range. I wouldn't consider this with cast pistons, stock rods or main cap fasteners. That is why I felt that running the EMC heads on the mule engine was not a appropriate test since the redline would need to held well below the potential of the heads. A low compression 320 incher with an antique cam and low redline simply won't show the true potential of the EMC heads.

While we realize that some people will want port work done to the new heads, at the present time we have enough to do just to get them machined and delivered in out of the box form. This may change in the near future. More on that subject in a couple of days.

Bill,

I , like you, live in Australia. I've been guessing that there will be development in the new alumimium heads in porting and other tricks once they are released. If I buy and have them delivered before I get the advantage of any development I either need to ship them back to the USA or risk someone else changing them. Hoping they can change the heads in the desired way.

It's all relative because I have the added consideration of Frieght cost to factor in.Wink

John,

Cool,  that's really great information. I was thinking that the as cast was 260cfm. 35cfm is a reasonable jump.

It's been discussed before that the new heads are close to the design limit considering intake, bolts, pushrods etc. It's great to see that you've put enough meat into the ports that there can be the type of change and still have a streetable motor. How much has been done was one of my original questions. Obviously a fair bit.

There is a point in which porting will be disadvantageous to bottom end on a street engine. As you are progressing with the other development please keep us posted. It's really exciting to see these development on the Y block. The new heads should turn some heads when released on the track.

cheers

Grizzly (7/21/2010)
John,

Cool,  that's really great information. I was thinking that the as cast was 260cfm. 35cfm is a reasonable jump.

It's been discussed before that the new heads are close to the design limit considering intake, bolts, pushrods etc. It's great to see that you've put enough meat into the ports that there can be the type of change and still have a streetable motor. How much has been done was one of my original questions. Obviously a fair bit.

There is a point in which porting will be disadvantageous to bottom end on a street engine. As you are progressing with the other development please keep us posted. It's really exciting to see these development on the Y block. The new heads should turn some heads when released on the track.

cheers

Grizzly, i think john has designed these heads with basic improvements off the shelf to keep up with much worked G heads for the street driven cars, then if going racing you can port them etc to perform to their full potential, obviously with other bullit proof parts in the engine, race headers etc. I myself think it was a great challange to finally produce a product that can suit 2 different ends of demand! To only produce only high end racing heads, to a limited market then the costs wouldnt be worth the investment. I would think in your case with a basic street driven car (ute) that the standard new heads out of the box would be more than enough improvement in your case. I assume working out the cost of porting whatever good cast heads you could buy and the cost of the new heads would be a consideration. I allways remember Jim Broardly of  Diablo Motors sign above his door; Speed costs money! how fast do you want to go!" . regards bill.Smile

yyy

By Ted - 14 Years Ago

Aussie Bill has nailed it in that the new aluminum heads in their out of the box condition are as good as you’ll ever port a set of iron heads for maximum flow.  Where the ported iron heads typically suffer on their lowend numbers, the new aluminum heads are very stout at the bottomend of the range as well as shining in the upper rpm band.  Best of both worlds with the 'out of the box' aluminum heads.

As John mentions, there are no plans to put the highly ported aluminum heads on the dyno mule.  That wouldn’t give much meaningful data without a camshaft change at the very least while the bottom end of the dyno mule is definitely not 7000 rpm capable.  Both the freshly ported aluminum heads and another set of rocker stands are here so there are already plans on putting the EMC engine back on the dyno next week and getting some baseline numbers for that combination.

Bill,

Gotta love that statement, it only comes out when you've got too technical for the mechanic and it's time to walk away. Time to find a real mechanic Wink

Looking at other ford small blocks I notice that the Cleveland flows 230cfm and 284cfm for small and large port (respectively) wasn't the large port used on a 302 Boss. For stout street performance during the muscle car era??

I think you guy's are too used to looking back at at old y performance and not looking ahead to what can be now obtained Cool

cheers

Grizzly (7/22/2010)
Bill,

Gotta love that statement, it only comes out when you've got too technical for the mechanic and it's time to walk away. Time to find a real mechanic Wink

Looking at other ford small blocks I notice that the Cleveland flows 230cfm and 284cfm for small and large port (respectively) wasn't the large port used on a 302 Boss. For stout street performance during the muscle car era??

I think you guy's are too used to looking back at at old y performance and not looking ahead to what can be now obtained :cool:

cheers

Grizzly, not sure what to make of that ! but i think you dont realize the vast performance improvements made with many fast times and HP increases proven here by members, and their cars while keeping with the original themes and history of these engines etc. I cant help feel you are keen on the various theorys but they are not really suitable to everyday road speed driving. Hope this helps. regards bill.Tongue

yyy 

By Don Woodruff - 14 Years Ago
Grizzly (7/22/2010)
Bill,

I think you guy's are too used to looking back at at old y performance and not looking ahead to what can be now obtained Cool

cheers

Do ya think?

There's only one way to conclude this. Grizzly, get the new heads, have them ported, and let us know how it turns out. Even the most educated people are wrong sometimes. There's only one way to find out.
Grizzly, although I've never driven one, by all accounts I've ever read the first year Boss 302's were a crap street engine. They made NO low rpm power and only ran at the top end of the RPM range. Ford downsized the intake valves and made the power more usable in the 2nd year of production.

If someone wants to duplicate the performance of a Boss 302 in a Y-Block you could max port a set of the new heads and put them on a 272 (BOSS-Y or Y-Boss ?). Now to really duplicate a Boss302 you would also need to over cam the thing to death, as the Bosses were. The cam would not run below 4500rpm even in a 351.

The factory tech in 1970 wasn't all that advanced. Ford didn't understand port velocity or chamber shape. In the 1990's there was a hugh market in the US for Australian 302 Cleveland heads because the 4bbl US Cleveland heads had too large intake ports and the 2bbl heads had a horrible, detonation prone chamber.

Making power doesn't just mean big ports, big carb, big cam. Also, street power is totally different from dragstrip power.

When I quote an engine job I give people a base price and tell them "every time you say I want the price goes up". Now if you know where to get parts for free you might be able to build a better engine at no additional cost. I have not yet figured out how to install forged pistons for the same price as cast, or how supply aftermarket rods at the same cost as re-using the originals. Last time I ordered from ARP they wanted a lot of money for their fasteners. In short, the more power and RPM you try to wring out of an engine the better the parts need to be in the engine if you want it to live. Higher RPM=Better parts=More money!

I'll bite my tongue now

By Hoosier Hurricane - 14 Years Ago
John, well said!
The Boss 302 was only rated at 290hp. So in reality, it was probably 320ish and the 351 was only rated at 330hp. In the January edition of hot Rod Magazine, a Boss 351 was built to factory specs and it produced somewhere around 384hp @ 6100rpm.

It is not difficult to build a Y to that level AND have favorable street characteristics. If you want Boss power levels out of your Y, it is absolutely possible - and certainly will not require that the new heads be ported.

Speed does cost money. If it didn't, I'd have a 1500 horse Y in my truck one way or another. It's not just a mechanic who doesn't want to or is not able to do the job. To really build an engine is a lot of work and a lot of time.

Other than the optional cam, the Boss cam specs don't look all that radical and seem to fall inline with the windsor performance cams. They are certainly bigger than your standard street motor.

http://home.comcast.net/~jelerath/mustang/Specs/cams-fr.html

I don't know how reliable that info is but if correct, it seems that the heads were simply the wrong choice for a street car.
By Don Woodruff - 14 Years Ago
A friend had a Boss 302, ordered from the factory with the 4.30 (I believe). He had a 5 something ring and pinion installed before taking it home. It needed a lot of gear. As stated no low end torque.

At the same time I ordered a 70 Torino GT sports roof with the 351 C 4V. 3.00 rear axle air and so on. The Boss 302 was a 13 second car. Running off with him he could open a car length off the line, then the Torino would hold the position, passing him (after the 1/4) as he ran out of revs. The big port heads worked OK on the Torino but they were NOT economical. I never did check the mileage on this one as I knew i would not like it. I would guess 12-14 on a trip. These heads were not a good design, poor exaust ports, sewer intakes. It seemed as a different school of thought took over head design in this era,taking a turn from the smaller port design of the Y and FE. This school of thought probably was first seen in the tunnel port FE's. Understanding quality of airflow as well as quantity has taken huge steps. John has done a super job on the new heads. This is shown by the horspower, well above predictions, and fuel flow observations by Ted on the Dyno.

We need to think a 400 Hp Y that is very streetable can become common place. The short block is not the contributer to horsepower that the heads, intake, carb, and cam are.   

By PWH42 - 14 Years Ago
A friend of mine bought one of the first Boss 302s and that thing was a real monster.It was not really a street car.The only thing it was good at was going around curves.That wasn't much use in Central Illinois.No curves.
John Mummert (7/23/2010)

When I quote an engine job I give people a base price and tell them "every time you say I want the price goes up". Now if you know where to get parts for free you might be able to build a better engine at no additional cost. I have not yet figured out how to install forged pistons for the same price as cast, or how supply aftermarket rods at the same cost as reusing the originals. Last time I ordered from ARP they wanted a lot of money for their fasteners. In short, the more power and RPM you try to wring out of an engine the better the parts need to be in the engine if you want it to live. Higher RPM=Better parts=More money!

I'll bite my tongue now

"Speed costs how fast do you want to go". Rubbish.

Method 1. Ok I decide to rebuild my 312.  I decide that it will just be rebored and not interfered with in terms of capacity. I could (should) have my rods resized but instead I buy a set of BT rods and sell my old 312 rods on ebay. I can have a set of performance rods at little or no cost. Especially compared to what I needed to outlay to recon.

Method 2. I decide to save some cash on a rebuild and go with someone that says that can do it at less than the bloke down the road. Or I get talked out of performance component because “Speed cost” “just how fast do you want to go?” I have an engine failure. Or because of the restriction the part I saved on restricts me from what I wanted in the first place. This costs me a second rebuild or sell and move on.

Informing myself by asking questions and finding and realizing limitations builds a better engine and saves as it eliminates the need for a second rebuild because the limitation were not realized in the first place. Do as good as you can first up and never have to look back

Method 3.  I read a great internet article on performance parts and horsepower robbing components. The guy in question rebuilt a 302 using H beam rods, light pistons, moly push rods etc, to realize a 10% gain in performance without changing the parameters of the engine. 10%. There would be a saving in fuel costs and this engine would last longer. Performance parts that are often considered strengthening or reliability improvements can be also considered performance parts. If you used Ted’s test mule with alloy heads and added these parts to gain another 10% how sweet would that be? There is bang for buck in these components. Cost savings in engine life and fuel can be considered.

Method 4. The other end of the spectrum. I have a unlimited budget I want a Y block that delivers a certified dyno tested 1000hp and have it so streetable that my wife can drive it to church on Sunday.  “Speed cost, just how fast do you want to go?” indicates that with money you can go faster and faster and have just what you want. Impossible as there are limitations.

I have had experience with most of the above examples including both of the examples in method 2.  Both Mechanic’s (I use the term loosely) favorite statement was “Speed cost, just how fast do you want to go?”

Lastly my first passion is motorcycling I have three Moto Guzzi. If you think costs are high for a reasonably common 8V try buying stuff for an obscure Italian V twin. I bought Carillo rods. A set (pair) $1400 the last standard OEM cast piston I bough was almost $500.  When things go bust on a motorcycle you don’t necessarily quietly pull over to the side of the road.

I thought you guy's lived in the USA where free thought, free expression and justice for all prevailed. 

I appreciate what John and Ted are doing with the aluminium head. We are getting lots of information and some testing. Getting the full picture sometimes needs a prod or pushing for further information. But given how much of their own time these guys are putting in it’s not surprising that there is not the time to get absolutely everything out of them.

I had asked about using the race heads on the test mule for a number of reasons. The first tests showed “proof of concept” the heads showed improvements across the rev range on a typical engine with minor modifications. Scientifically the test showed that the old heads formed a restriction across the range when compared to the new.

With the information that only the race engine was to be tested with the ported heads. I asked if they could be tested on the “mule”. Thinking that even if the lower end showed a drop in performance we’d have a parameter or an indication of what won’t work. Often the best indicators are when something doesn’t work. If ported heads did work at low RPM the bar would have been raised.

The Y block should be able to support a head that have good flow because of piston velocity. A longer stroke compared to other engines of similar capacity should support better flow. High piston velocity provides better VE and higher torque at low RPM because of the ram effect.

Given that a 341cu/i is a possible street engine. About 10% larger than standard. Is it too much to expect that you would want a 10% increase in flow?

I understand the level of porting but we are in a development stage and looking for parameters by finding extremes.

I get what you're saying. And the heads were ported with the engine masters in mind where the test range will be 2500-6500. That's not out of line for a stout street engine in my opinion.
Charlie, while the RPM range of the EMC engine is well within the range for a representative street engine, at 375 cu in the displacement is not. To run a 375 inch engine to even 6500 at power levels that will make a respectable showing at the contest takes CFM levels higher than 275, but to date that is the limit. Unfortunately, increasing air flow to that level required significantly enlarging the ports. Larger ports on a lower compression, smaller displacement engine will hurt power for street use. Bigger ports = lower velocity in the port. Port velocity is critical. It can be too high or too low.

Grizzly, I have built engines with a fairly standard short block and added performance parts like cam, intake, ignition, better exhaust ect. This can have good results within limits and not break the bank. A reasonable redline must be kept or the whole thing may be short lived. In that regard I agree with you. Some guys spend money needlessly. If you are building a 312 for a 57 T-Bird that will only be used for parades and Sunday cruises you probably don't need forged pistons, billet flywheel, head studs.

I am not familiar with BT rods. Don't know of any rods that will fit a Y-Block that can be purchased for the core value of 312 rods.

Why did you pay $1400 for 2 connecting rods? This seems to reinforce the "More speed costs more money" frame of mind.

If you are saying that taking the cheap way out can end up costing you more money in the end I agree whole heartedly.

John Mummert (7/27/2010)
Charlie, while the RPM range of the EMC engine is well within the range for a representative street engine, at 375 cu in the displacement is not.

That makes sense, too. For some reason I thought it was going to be a smaller engine this year. I guess that plan was only if the new heads weren't available in time.

I didn't even notice that previous post.

Grizzly, I see several problems with the idea that speed doesn't cost money.

In the 1st method, you talk about only rods as the performance component. That is only a small part of the picture. There are many more parts that go into a true performance build. And if you really know of a good low cost alternative for rods, let us know.

I don't quite understand method 2 but I've never been talked out of a performance mod. If I decided not to do it, it's because I saw the price and decided that I really don't need it. If you set realistic goals, you'll never run into that problem, anyway.

In method 3, you talk only about a 10% gain. You certainly don't need the aluminum heads for that. Depending on what you start with, you may not even need porting... which costs more.

In method 4, I guess you're building off of my previous statement about having a 1500 horse Y one way or another. It absolutely is possible, just as much so as a 1500 horse small block or big block. It won't be OEM but neither is a small block or big block at that level. If I had the money laying around and didn't know what to do with it, I'd use it to have the parts cast, forged, or machined that will support that power level. But if you believe this doesn't cost money, then, with all due respect, you're crazy.

You're right. We are in the USA. Free thought and expression does prevail. As a result, free conversation and bench racing does, too.

As I've said previously, even the most educated get it wrong sometimes; nobody can know everything. The way you talk, it sounds like you know how to build a 500 horse Y for the same that it will cost to rebuild my stock 1961 292. There are those who talk and there are those who do. If you can do it, then by all means do it. Prove the naysayers wrong.
By yalincoln - 14 Years Ago
i hope we'll see some aluminum heads at columbus so we can see what really works. after all we all have to live in the real world. of cource we'd all like to see what a set of max ported heads with a huffer will do, HA!HA!
charliemccraney (7/27/2010)
John Mummert (7/27/2010)
Charlie, while the RPM range of the EMC engine is well within the range for a representative street engine, at 375 cu in the displacement is not.

That makes sense, too. For some reason I thought it was going to be a smaller engine this year. I guess that plan was only if the new heads weren't available in time.

I didn't even notice that previous post.
Grizzly, I see several problems with the idea that speed doesn't cost money.
In the 1st method, you talk about only rods as the performance component. That is only a small part of the picture. There are many more parts that go into a true performance build. And if you really know of a good low cost alternative for rods, let us know.
I don't quite understand method 2 but I've never been talked out of a performance mod. If I decided not to do it, it's because I saw the price and decided that I really don't need it. If you set realistic goals, you'll never run into that problem, anyway.
In method 3, you talk only about a 10% gain. You certainly don't need the aluminum heads for that. Depending on what you start with, you may not even need porting... which costs more.
In method 4, I guess you're building off of my previous statement about having a 1500 horse Y one way or another. It absolutely is possible, just as much so as a 1500 horse small block or big block. It won't be OEM but neither is a small block or big block at that level. If I had the money laying around and didn't know what to do with it, I'd use it to have the parts cast, forged, or machined that will support that power level. But if you believe this doesn't cost money, then, with all due respect, you're crazy.

You're right. We are in the USA. Free thought and expression does prevail. As a result, free conversation and bench racing does, too.
As I've said previously, even the most educated get it wrong sometimes; nobody can know everything. The way you talk, it sounds like you know how to build a 500 horse Y for the same that it will cost to rebuild my stock 1961 292. There are those who talk and there are those who do. If you can do it, then by all means do it. Prove the naysayers wrong.

Charlie,

I’m all for some decent discussion but some of what you have said are straight insults.  There is a lot of BullS#*t in the performance industry. Unfortunately I have run into several examples who instead of discussing outcomes in a logical and informed way shove “speed cost, how fast do you want to go?” in at a very early stage.

It equates money to horsepower in an equation and in a linear way. It does not equate to the multitude of different directions that you can go with a rebuild. It ostracises those on small budgets or those who require less. It does nothing to encourage thorough tuning of engines and correcting setup.

If you’re wanting a rebuild and spending whatever level of your hard earned cash, you need to ask questions. People who know their product are usually only to happy to stand behind it with information and facts.  “speed cost, how fast do you want to go?” puts up a wall. Where can you go with this? Throw some idiot some cash and hope they know what you want intuitively? I doubt it! I’m sure they would never take advantage?

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
charliemccraney (7/27/2010)
Although the 316” Y that was prepared for the 2008 Engine Masters Challenge is still sitting here, it’s a finance issue that keeps it from being tested with the aluminum heads and being a potential candidate for the 2010 EMC competition.  That engine needs another set of pistons, rings, camshaft, and lifters at the very least to make it competitive for this years EMC.  The 375 incher used in last years competition ends up being the preferred engine for this years competition by default as it’s the best fit with what’s on hand.
John Mummert (7/27/2010)

I am not familiar with BT rods. Don't know of any rods that will fit a Y-Block that can be purchased for the core value of 312 rods.

Why did you pay $1400 for 2 connecting rods? This seems to reinforce the "More speed costs more money" frame of mind.

If you are saying that taking the cheap way out can end up costing you more money in the end I agree whole heartedly.

John,

Yes I am yes. If you take the cheap way out It will end up costing you money.

The BT rods are your's $325 a set if I read right. If you consider the price of resizing they are cheap. The risk of using a 50year old possibly stressed part.

$1400 carillo's direct from carillo. 15 years ago original rods were $465 each. Carrillos are 100 grams a rod lighter.   

Cheers

By shadowman - 14 Years Ago
 I must of missed the day when HP didn't cost money or time, time spent chasing HP costs money.  Wether you like the saying or not its true.

Patience is a virtue, there are multiple development projects going on as we speak with the alum. heads. They are being laid out for specific purposes and reasons.

The one thing that should be pointed out is that in todays age parameters can be laid out very accuratley to taylor certain projects. The old days of trying what I would call off the wall things just to see what happens aren't really neccesary. 

Dyno testing will be performed to back up different levels of performance.  Giving customers the most for their money is a priority with the new heads wether it be as cast or at different levels porting. Camshafts for the new heads will also be available

The expected delivery date for the 2nd batch of heads will be some time in October. I don't think anyone will be let downWink.

By yalincoln - 13 Years Ago
hi ted, i just got done looking at the 56 hotrod article and they showed the 56 merc 2x4's holleys had 6.688 sq. in. of total venturi area. the carters had 6.60 with a 1/16 smaller secondary's, and the edelbrock 3x2's with 56 ford 2bbl's had 5.32 sq. in. with stock 1 1/16 butterfly's. after they bored the carbs to 1 3/16 they showed 6.65 sq. in. of venturi area. i'm sure someone here can convert those # to cfm. they never did try the 2x4's on the finnished engine. i think it would have done a little better with the 2x4's. 342 cu. in., ported c heads with 11.3 comp., 1 7/8 intake, 1 5/8 exhaust valves, and headers. 303 honest hp. but there chart showed 340 corrected hp.
By CK and his 55Tbird - 10 Years Ago
Ted, I see the ECZ-B manifold actually works better with a smaller 650cfm carb and 1/2" spacer. Have you tried Johns manifold as such, without spacer and 650cfm carb and various other spacers, Carbs.

Holley suggests a 570 cfm for performance 390cfm stock!
By Ted - 10 Years Ago

Carbs and spacers have been tested to death. YBM issue #108 covered an engine build where just three of the basic carb spacer designs were dyno tested. Here’s the link to that article. http://www.eatonbalancing.com/blog/2012/09/29/carburetor-spacer-testing/

The latest issue of the YBM (#120) goes into detail on the effect of the slot in the plenum divider which gives some insight on how that slot affects the torque values by itself. For the most part, each engine combination likes something a little different but there are some trends that do come to the forefront.

John’s intake as well as the Blue Thunder intake works well with almost any carburetor but head flow is the key here. With either of these intake manifolds, stock heads prefer smaller sized carbs while cylinder heads with increased flow capabilities will make more power with larger carbs being used. This is simply a case where whichever piece has the minimum flow values, be it the heads or the intake, dictates the optimum cfm of the carb being used.

There are very few instances where the intake port runners would be sized smaller than the heads if looking to maximize power numbers. It essentially boils down to the intake manifold simply needing to outflow the cylinder heads if wanting to maximize the benefits of any cylinder head flow increases. Out of the box Mummert and Blue Thunder intakes do this in fine fashion on most home ported cylinder heads. When porting the aluminum heads, then porting the aluminum intakes becomes prerequisite simply due to the intake manifold still needing to outflow the heads in order to maximize any head porting benefits.

The factory ECZ-B intake was well matched to the factory G and 113 heads but if the heads are ported, then the intake needs to be appropriately ported so it can keep up with the cylinder head flow requirements.

By aussiebill - 10 Years Ago
shadowman (7/30/2010)
I must of missed the day when HP didn't cost money or time, time spent chasing HP costs money. Wether you like the saying or not its true. Patience is a virtue, there are multiple development projects going on as we speak with the alum. heads. They are being laid out for specific purposes and reasons.

The one thing that should be pointed out is that in todays age parameters can be laid out very accuratley to taylor certain projects. The old days of trying what I would call off the wall things just to see what happens aren't really neccesary.

Dyno testing will be performed to back up different levels of performance. Giving customers the most for their money is a priority with the new heads wether it be as cast or at different levels porting. Camshafts for the new heads will also be available

The expected delivery date for the 2nd batch of heads will be some time in October. I don't think anyone will be let downWink.

Refreshing to see what you have said here, i hope some of the newer members read it!