Optimizing the New Heads

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic44380.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Don Woodruff - 14 Years Ago
It is becoming obvious that in order to really benefit from the money spent on the new heads we need to rethink some of the currently available parts for the "Y". Primarily we will need high (.500 + lift) camshafts, revised piston configurations, distributer curve modifications just to start with. We have to realize we are a very limited market but we need to develop sources and templates.

I personally am looking for a source for a camshaft ground to specs similar to the Ford racing parts M-6250-A332 except ground on 112 lobe centers and 214(in) and 220(ex) durations and close to .500 lift. I have yet to work out piston configuration, still working out stroke options. Nelson cams may be a possible source of cams, they ground a 214/214 cam with approximately .5 inch lift for Royce Brechler.

All of this can be done by individuals but are Ted and John going to introduce some of these items to hit the market in conjunction with the new heads?

By charliemccraney - 14 Years Ago
Looking at the dyno test, you should not need a different cam. The cam used during the test provided .430" lift at the valve. A bigger cam is not a necessary expense. If your performance is good now, then it should be better with the new heads. Ted and John will know more, but the only changes I see that will have to be made is the tune of the carb and timing, and these are cheap.

Certainly, changing the pistons can help depending on the application, but here again, will the cost/benefit be worth it? Same thing with the cam and lifters- will the price be worth it?

Most cam companies can do custom grinds. Call 'em, tell them your goal, tell them what you're thinking and see what they recommend.

You can do the exact same stuff to a stock motor - get a new cam, get new pistons, port the heads. It all helps. The questions are how far do you want to go, and is it in the budget.
Charley, you can "get by" with an old cam. If I spend 2K+ on new heads that can utilize cams in the .550 lift area (max flow is @.550 lift per my newly arrived Y mag) that is what I want to do. My engine will be a scratch build so I only want to spend the money once.

The new high lift, agressive ramp cams are on the market for a reason. 1950's cam technology leaves a LOT on the table. 

DW

By aussiebill - 14 Years Ago
Don Woodruff (5/19/2010)
Charley, you can "get by" with an old cam. If I spend 2K+ on new heads that can utilize cams in the .550 lift area (max flow is @.550 lift per my newly arrived Y mag) that is what I want to do. My engine will be a scratch build so I only want to spend the money once.

The new high lift, agressive ramp cams are on the market for a reason. 1950's cam technology leaves a LOT on the table. 

DW

Don, i am curious what is your car application with these changes you mention, i wouldnt think as dailey driver, i would be guessing once a month go tear up some rubber somewhere? or just great looking and sounding engine? I think milder specs for daily nicer to drive car. regards bill.Smile

My car is a 57 Tbird, auto, totally stock, well almost. I have pocket ported the heads, with a good valve job. The car is used for Sunday cruising. The update will consist of a fresh engine, C-4, headers, a 21/2 in exaust, revised suspension. Intended use is still week end cruiser, a STRONG one.

Cam will be 214in 220ex @.050, 112 lobe centers, at least .500 lift with 1.6 rockers, 10.2 CR. Johns heads,and intake, headers. Carb is a bit in the air, if the budget will take it a Quick Fuel Technologies 750 tweaked for street use. The above cam should give 16 in of vacuum at Idle and be very smooth.

When I build an engine I want to leave as little on the table as possible.

I did put Ted's engine as described in the latest Y block mag into the EAP Pro software and came up with almost Identical results.

The soft ware engine made the same horsepower but gave up 500 RPM sooner. This is probably because I guessed at his header dimensions. 

By Grizzly - 14 Years Ago
Two of the good things to come from Mumert are a better single 4 manifold and these heads. It adds to the range of parts that are already available as either vintage or new items. The thing with both of these items is that they address part of the design inefficency of the originial design, breathing.  The heads do not address anything other that porting, combution chamber (both shape & size) and the other funtions of a over head valve head.

New cam design revolves around the use of either roller lifters or overhead cam construction. The head has nothing to do with this as it doesn't address any of these functions. Although I do conceed that there will be developments in line with the release of the heads.

I would be disapointed if the heads didn't fit abroad range of applications as a potential customer I don't see myself at ether end of the range and would like the freedom to build an engine around what I need and want.  

Grizzly, I hope not all of the new cam research has not been wasted. Todays camsfafts have much more agressive lift rates to give more area under the lift curve. There is a lot of hype in selling cams,but developing as great as area possible with out exceeding the limits of the valve train is the name of the game. Think of a valve opening event. The area under a square wave is a lot greater thana modified sine wave that is achieveable using a cam and solid or hydraulic flat base lifter. A roller can more closley approach a square wave. Stock class racing cams deliberately induce valve float to attain more performance. There are a lot of sublities th be addressed in cam design.
By PF Arcand - 14 Years Ago
Don: I'm a bit surprised at your conclusions. I gotta agree largely with Charlie, bill & griz. First your comments that all sorts of changes are needed to optimize the heads.. Ted got well over 50 H.P. with no changes other than timing & jetting! And over 20 lbs Ft of torque also. And the Cams you are talking about are likely all for roller valve trains. Not "Y" compatible. I'd say that John Mummert has done a superb job with the heads. They stand very well on there own...
Don,

I agree entirely that modern valve timings have improved. The faster and wider a inlet can open the better the VE of an engine. This is the advantage of overhead cam that because of a lack of valve train weight the faster you can open the inlet because of reduced inertia.  This not only increases the time a valve is open at it's maximum it also optimizes the ram effect and uses the pressures that occur in the inlet port when closed.

The new heads don't affect any of the currently available valve train componentry. You have avenues to explore where, you can as you say, either choose to grind your own cam or use an existing can with hi ratio roller rockers.

I like higher lift cams I've had a few engines where either the existing cam or the one I've chosen is of relatively modest duration but of higher lift than other cams that are available from other companies. I think it tends to broaden the power band. Some of these engines have felt as though they are bigger than they are.

Lift can be at odds with one of my other preferences reliability. All machines are a compromise of function over use.  

Please, I said optimize. Camshafts with profiles generated in the 50 and 60's have been vastly improved on. I suspect most of the cams offered for the "Y" have a direct lineage to those cams probably because the stock heads needed mods at rather modest valve lift.

This is not a new head issue, this is an issue with most Y cams.

Using the software to experiment a gain of 30 HP can be gained by increasing lift from .400 to .550 with the new heads based on Ted's engine. The old heads may not gain very much if the airflow gains stall at lifts above .400. Please remember the new heads peak at .550 valve lift.

As to reliability, pushing the limits by raising acceleration rates on the valve train can lead to lubrication failures at the cam/lifter interface. Lifts of .500 are common and reliable with longer duration cams. As the duration shortens and acceleration to achieve the lift increases reliability becomes more marginal.

The test results of the EMC engine should be very revealing. the higher lift cam used on this engine and the added displacement should really test the new heads.

The soft ware is not an absolute but it is a strong indicator of directions to take during an engine build.

I mispoke in the above post, I also raised the compression ratio to 10.2 and used Thunderbird specfic headers with the 214/220 .500 lift cam. This yielded outputs in the 280 HP range. (edit 380 HP)

Remember I was able to very nearly duplicate the results of Ted's engine with this soft ware (hp peak was within 2, peak rpm off by 500 rpm).

By charliemccraney - 14 Years Ago
If building an engine from the ground up, then I agree, a bigger cam, and different pistons, and such is a good decision. I interpreted the original post as implying that these are necessities, rather than options.

Don Woodruff (5/20/2010)

Using the software to experiment a gain of 30 HP can be gained by increasing lift from .400 to .550 with the new heads based on Ted's engine. The old heads may not gain very much if the airflow gains stall at lifts above .400. Please remember the new heads peak at .550 valve lift.

If the airflow stalls, then you still have more to gain, new heads or old. It is when it drops off that you have no more to gain. Lets just say hypothetically that the heads peak at .400" lift but the flow does not drop off significantly until after .500". A cam with .500 lift should produce more power, even though it peaks at .400" because the valve will be open at or beyond the point of maximum flow for a longer time.

I think you will be able to get away with a bigger cam. Mine's 226 @ .050 and I get 15.5inhg at idle - and it's a copy of an old cam. If it were me, and I was spending all this money, I'd shoot for well over 300hp. We've seen that 280 can be achieved with iron heads with ease.
Blew it, fat finger, didnt proof read, 380 horsepower.
By Y block Billy - 14 Years Ago
Don,

You do understand the The Y has mushroom lifters, the ramp cannot be as newer roller lifter ramps can be due to the fact you would break the head of the lifter or it would dig in to the ramp severely accelerating the wear of these components, not to mention wear the lifter guides.

The program you are using to do your calculations may not be adding into the equasion that the Y is a solid mushroom lifter only, so ramp angle is limited on these.

Yes, I overhauled my first Y in 1959.

The mushroom on the Y is larger than diameter of lifters of even the Chrysler Corp. engines. This aids in its ability to handle more agressive ramps.

The concern with the Y is the small stem verses the dia of the head and the possibility of flexing/fracture at that juncture.

I do know of one Y built with the agressive ramps I want. It worked OK.

By PF Arcand - 14 Years Ago
Yes, one "Y" with very aggressive ramps was documented in YBM a while back. And the builder has been on this site on occasion. However, I don't know if that was a street engine & if it has been run enough to prove reliable. J. Mummert has indicated that he feels the Y lifters are somewhat fragile. I don't know what he bases that on, but unless someone proves him wrong, I'd be inclined to go with his observations..
By John Mummert - 14 Years Ago
While it is true that the Y-Block's 1.00" lifter face allows the possibility of more aggressive cams with higher lifter velocities at some point the attachment of the stem to lifter face becomes a concern. If a person is considering a high velocity cam lobe a few things will help the lifters live:

Light weight valves and retainers. Titanium will greatly reduce the component weights and valve spring tension required to keep everything under control.

Well designed cam lobe. Some designs are harder on parts than others with the same basic specs.

Sufficient valve spring pressure. Nothing will break lifters quicker than weak valve springs.

Higher lift is harder on parts. Longer duration is easier on parts.

Keep in mind that better cylinderheads will make the same power at lower compression ratios and with smaller cams.

John,

On your site you have a range of cams. These are referenced to a spring. Firstly what cam are the springs, that are sold with the heads, designed for and Secondly do you offer other springs for specific builds? 

Grizzly, the springs on the site are listed by seat pressure but we sell them based on valve lift. The VS65 is for stock cams, VS95 for .450" lift, VS105 for .480" lift and VS115 for cams up to .520" valve lift. These springs can be used with any appropriate cam and fit common retainers with 1.060" inside step (except VS65).

The springs in the new heads will handle up to .520" lift but are not the same as the VS115.

I could have worded my question better I knew that springs were designed for different cams. So the heads can handle up to .520 delivered.

Thanks

John: For your amusement I mailed you the EAP files on my proposed build. This is not for max horsepower, but for a strong week end driver. If I get to radical on the Tbird my life will be in peril from the wife. I have turned too many cars into race only, so have to keep this one gentle. This build will have to take a bit of time to complete due to finances. I will dyno it, so we will see how realistically electrons build an engine.
John: The cam profile used in the engine referenced was one generated for flathead Fords. The reason I have not ordered one of these is I am not sure how good that profile is. It may be very good, but even if I purchased one, and had a cam doctor profile run on it, I am not knowledgeable enough to determine the "goodness" of this profile. I know some excellent local engine builders but these guys rely on the cam companies to design and supply them with compatable parts. I tried Comp Cams but they did not want to go out of their way for a one off oddball engine.

The EAP program will evaluate valve train stability if the componet weights and cam profile is entered.

By Hollow Head - 14 Years Ago
Don has a strong point! If we could have a roller cam and lifters for Y, the world would not be the same again...BigGrin. Count off friction losses, cam wear etc...

Just my opinion, but...

Don, I would be very hesitant to use a cam lobe designed for a flathead engine in a rocker arm engine. While I have never Cam Doctored a flathead lobe I have checked many overhead cam lobes and they would be very ugly in an OHV engine. An OHC valvetrain is just a flathead turned upside down. With no rocker arm, the lobe must be very aggressive to generate even .350" valve lift in a reasonable duration.

Without the weight of a rocker or pushrod the designer doesn't need to be very careful about jerk and rapid acceleration changes. Some of worst cam designs I've ever seen were from late model Japanese ATV's. No way you would want to use them in a pushrod engine.

With regard to lobe separation, we recommend 108 for engines with headers, 110 for engines with fair headers or very good dual exhaust and 112 for restrictive exhaust. I'm not a hugh fan of wide lobe separation cams such as 112 or more. Generally, low RPM power suffers particularly if the engine also has low compression. Exhaust will also noticeably louder under full throttle.

These are the very things that have kept me form ordering one of these cams. The jerk is a serious consideration but even more is a too agressive lift (forgot the exact terminology) acceleration. I once spent a week trying to decipher a cam design manual that was not written for a beginner. EAP has genaric (mild, and agressive) lift rates as well as well over the nose inputs for the cam profile. I believe, altho I have not tried it, you can put in specified acceleration profiles. I understand where you are coming from on lobe centers but a lot of the old FE HP grinds were on wide lobe centers and the newer designs favor wide centers, probably due to emissions regulations. I have not played much with changing lobe centers, I'll give it a try.
Don. one other thing too consider is the difference in durations between a hydraulic cam and a mechanical cam. Since the industry standard for hydraulic cam lash is .006" and your typical mechanical cam is .014-.020", cams of equal duration will act quite different.

I just checked a 216 @ .050" Crower hydraulic lobe against our Y265S  224 @ .050" mechanical lobe. Both have .280" lobe lift +-.002". When figured with .006" lash for the hydraulic and .018" for mechanical cam the timing at the valve was essentially identical. Due to the difference in lash you must use 8-12 degrees more for a mechanical cam when using your software or seat of the pants speculating what size cam to use.

I have sold well over 100 of the Y265S Y-Block cam and no one has ever complained that it was too big, even with a FOM trans.

Ok I mentally missed the delta between the solid and hydraulic cams, the soft ware does not. This explains why software modeling of a 393" Windsor engine using a 214/224 .500 cam was peaking at a higher RPM than the 214/220 .500 in the Y. The extra 4 degrees ex duration did nothing for the Y and very little on the Windsor. 

My wish list may not be practical, but this is my thing. I tried to push the practical technical limits by asking "can we do this?" during my engineering career, and find it hard to back off now that I have retired.

By speedpro56 - 14 Years Ago
John, you're so right by going 8 to 10 degrees bigger when going from hydraulic to a solid lifter cam to get the same results.
Don, I was only trying to point out some things you might not have thought of. I'm certainly not trying to tell you that you should not follow your own ideas. Its your engine and your car and so far this is still America and you are free to follow your dreams.

A lot of people would argue that building aluminum heads for a Y-Block is not a wise thing to do. I chose not to listen to them.

By aussiebill - 14 Years Ago
John Mummert (5/22/2010)
Don, I was only trying to point out some things you might not have thought of. I'm certainly not trying to tell you that you should not follow your own ideas. Its your engine and your car and so far this is still America and you are free to follow your dreams.

A lot of people would argue that building aluminum heads for a Y-Block is not a wise thing to do. I chose not to listen to them.

John,  you have proven that it was possible to do and have the HP increase to back it up. I hope the orders are coming in, let me know when mine are ready, thanks from everyone here! regards bill.

John, I did not in any way take offence. I value your knowledge which is far more extensive than mine. I certainly do not intend to offend you or anyone else. I have a certain set of personal criteria for this engine. It is certainly not what others will want. I just want to build the best product I can that fits these guidelines.

My application is a very mild street application. The thought process I am going through may be applicable to others that have a different set of parameters. Ted has obviously has pushed the limits on extreme performance with his EMC entry and the dragster engine.

My main thrust is to explore the limits of the camshaft/lifter interface. 

Since John has adresses the airflow issues this appears to be the next problem in building an exceptional Y.

By pegleg - 14 Years Ago
John Mummert 5/22/2010  A lot of people would argue that building aluminum heads for a Y-Block is not a wise thing to do. I chose not to listen to them.

There was/is a certain amount of insanity involved in this project. I can tell you that the only SpeedSmith left in the project is the name on the sales receipt. Everything else is Mummert. I have personally seen flow bench results that are pretty impressive. And you can carry one around the garage in ONE hand. The amount of work time and investment John (and son Jeff) have put forth is tremendous. We're talking two guys in a small shop, NOT a large corporation with limitless capital and resources. Congrats are in order, the finished product will be worth the wait, I hope that we all apreciate this effort. 

John deserves a huge amount of credit, both for his heads and intake. The old heads and intake were corks in the Y performance bottle. I doff my hat to John and his son for the effort and heart ache this project has caused. He is on the edge of sucess here, and I hope he sells all he can produce. Just from the bits I have seen in print There has been a tremendous amount of thought done for accomodating the future with these heads. They will be the rock on which the future of the Y will be built.
By shadowman - 14 Years Ago
I don't see any problem with exploring the limits of camshaft right up until the point where you do more harm than good.

The Y-block does have a large lifter for a domestic V-8. Things you will want to keep in mind when trying to push the limits of lobe velocity are.

1. Chamfer on the edge of the lifter.  More chamfer less useable lifter face.

2. Lifter bore centering over the lobe. The farther off center it is the less useable the lifter face becomes.

3. Acheivable nose radius on the cam. Short duration, high lift cams will have a small nose radius. Making them RPM limited. They almost always get pitting on the nose of the lobe. Not neccesarily going flat but just but just tramatized do to high spring rates with high velocity lobes and small contact area, nose to lifter.

4. Spring rate, rate in a spring is stored available return energy.  Two spring set ups can have the same open pressure but one can have considerably less return energy. Example.  120# on the seat and 320# open @.500"  200# gain over .500 lift is a 400# rate per inch.  This will have more nose control than a lower rate setup. Say  145# on the seat and 320# open  is a 175# of stored energy over the nose. 350# rate per inch

5. Lobe dynamics are the biggy on the list. The main reason is that these harmonics get transfered through whole valvetrain. Especially your pushrods. Pushrods have been one the biggest culprates to unstable valvetrain and many times the springs get the blame. Don't get me wrong you can be under sprung.

Like I said earlier pushing the limits of the lifter face can done safely as long you are looking at everything much closer.

In the end it all call comes down to valve events. More modern attempts have been tamer lobes and more rocker ratio to acheive the desirable valve events

When done right they both work well.

By pegleg - 14 Years Ago
There is no problem exploring this area, except the discussion is about  the heads. We should probably get Ted to move this to TECH or Racing.

The valve events and geometry can be discussed there. It is an area that can be explored now, there wasn't much point prior to the new heads since the port airflow stalled at relatively low lifts and rates with the iron heads. The Mummert head changes the ball game. I think it's safe to say the limits of the iron heads have been explored to death by John Ted and others. None of the cam timing, profile or lift theorys help much without ports that carry increased airflow.