modified sbc shortie headers to fit early tbird

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic27690.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By mongo - 15 Years Ago
I am half way thru building a chrome set of shorties for my 55 bird, they cheap , but a little time. Used 1 set sbc chrome shorties of ebay  , sectioned the main flange . clamped, bolted and spread on to y block header flange . Welded and drilled it. Fits perfect. I will put more if ther is an interest. Just did a full layout , it would not post.  
By mongo - 15 Years Ago
The spreading process 
By simplyconnected - 15 Years Ago
Good job, Dave.
By charliemccraney - 15 Years Ago
How is spark plug access? Can you get a plug socket on them?
By mongo - 15 Years Ago
a little grinding on the bottom of the flange blank , the wires fit fine with clearance. As with any header app. you may have to make a special tool , there is nice room, I would not want to change them ,when they are hot !!! 
By Greg D - 15 Years Ago
That is pretty interesting. I have wondered about this swap myself.
By GREENBIRD56 - 15 Years Ago
Any pic's of the drivers side available yet? I was wondering what you have to do to clear the steering shaft.....

This is a great idea and useful for many projects with a tight budget .......

By Unibodyguy - 15 Years Ago
I think there would be a market for this. I wonder how it would work for trucks? Should have plenty of clearance I would think.
By mongo - 15 Years Ago
I have been busy with my other cars, the drivers side is going to be more challenging , but the pass side is all done . came out great , no leaks ,quiet . Will update this post with drivers side, my no. is 931-739-0152  
By mongo - 15 Years Ago
Here's the finishing touches to the pass side ,from the bottom. The engine mount stabilizer bar with fabbed up one that attched to header flange. Seems to work fine, maybe even a little stiffer than stock.
By Barry L - 15 Years Ago
 Hi     Interesting  adaptation....any more pics??   I'm not quite clear on the stabilizer mount.... can you get a pic from another angle??   Barry
By mongo - 15 Years Ago
Barry,

the 1/2 moon cut with 2 3/8ths holes bolt right onto the header flange, the rubber grommets and chrome washers from the stock setup , attach to the stock mount on the frame. This is a prototype , and is working well. I will not be able to get to the drivers side until after growing season, Dave  

By i.abomination - 15 Years Ago
Would you be interested in fabbin a set for sale?
By mongo - 15 Years Ago
I would hate to  do a set for you and have the cheap chrome job fail in a year or 2.
By Bobwanna - 14 Years Ago
Dave  What you have done here is what hot rodding, especially in the early years was all about.  Taking something you liked or needed and modified to fit.   I also have a 55 Bird and will follow your thread to see if I could do this on mine ... when I get it running again.  Bob
By yblock32deuce - 14 Years Ago
dave, bobwana is right on target. taking something from a scrap pile and making it into something really neat. old school engineering at its zenith. i think it looks great, cant wait to see the other side BigGrin
By mongo - 14 Years Ago
Yes, I love doing this stuff. Just think it up, and build it. The early years was hold in place and weld it. If anyone is working on this project ( SBC headers) ,call me, if I can help, I will . 931-739-0152 
By kustomkat - 14 Years Ago
Just getting into the site...  I was staring at a pair of sbc block huggers and a set of y-block header flanges the other day, and thought the exact same thing.  Funny how after logging in for 5 minutes, I see this post.  Gonna start on them tomorrow for my 53 coupe.  I was hoping to find an alternative to ramhorns...
By rogerf100 - 11 Years Ago
I just found this thread on a Google search. I like the alternative to rams horn exhaust. I located a set of plain steel sbc block hugger headers at Speedway for $65 and a Y-block header flange on ebay for $45. Makes a cheap fix for my '55 F100 with Toyota power steering box. Thanks for posting this project.
By mongo - 11 Years Ago
I have been working a bunch of other projects , including nascar stuff . finished the drivers sde . a little trickyer. I may start to make them , account how well they fit. The welding will better looking and just the y block flange , http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/67ae07fd-76b2-476d-b83e-58ad.JPG
By CK and his 55Tbird - 10 Years Ago
Close fit, but neat man. I've been planning on a set of Saunders-shorties. You should do it!
By Rono - 10 Years Ago
Did you use the mid length sbc headers? can you post any pictures?

Rono