Camshaft ID

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic20511.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Rudder2fly - 15 Years Ago
The cam out of the ECZ 6015B block had these letters and #, YB1 behind front journal and RYB 10 stamped on the rear journal. Anyone have an idea who manufactured this cam and what the spec's might be? Thanks Ted and Marv for the response on my previous question. I found some other letters on the rear journal which are; G08 with the letter m inside the 0.
By Glen Henderson - 15 Years Ago
Sounds like a Melling cam, don't have a clue about spec's. Maybe someone has an old parts book that mignt have some info.
By Ted - 15 Years Ago

Here are the specs for the Melling RYB-10 camshaft.

Lobe lift is 0.296” for the intake and 0.298” for the exhaust.

Duration is listed as 276° for the intake and 280° for the exhaust.

No lobe centerlines are listed.

Also found are two different Melling Y-Block camshafts with the RYB-1 designation.

Both of these are listed as having a lobe lift of 0.290” for the intake and 0.294” for the exhaust.

Version 1 is listed as having an advertised duration of 276° for both the intake and exhaust.

Version 2 is listed as having an advertised duration of 308° for the intake and 310° for the exhaust.

Lobe centerlines again are not listed.

Unfortunately with the lobe lift being the same on both of these, it will be difficult to know which version is in hand without either putting it on a Cam Doctor or installing it in an engine and reverse engineering the specs with a degree wheel in place.

And for any camshaft, if you want to verify the lobe lifts, use a dial caliper or other measuring tool and get the values for the dimensions as shown in the above pictures.  And here’s the formula once you have those dimensions.

A minus B = lobe lift.

By flathead jack - 11 Years Ago
I am interested in the one with 308 duration had one 51 yrs ago at the age of 17 and im starting over
By Glen Henderson - 11 Years Ago
Jack welcome to the site. Let me see if I can add, 51 plus 17 that makes you 68. What are your plans, while we like the old stuff, sometimes a more modern part is better than some of the old parts that we remember (I'll turn 66 next month). There are a lot of good cams out there now and much easier too find than a 50+ year old part. Check out John Mummerts site in the links page, he list several good cams from mild to wild.
By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
Darn, another car site getting overun with kids!Crying Where can I go next? Chuck
By PF Arcand - 11 Years Ago
Interesting specs that Ted has found for those camshafts. According to the chart that John Mummert made for Y-Blk Magazine, no reqular cams for Y-blks had that much lobe lift or advertised duration. Only a supercharger cam might approximate those figures. Also, he has pointed out that advertized durations are often useless information, because cam grinders used to start their duration figures at different points. That's why these days, duration is usually started at 0.20 lift & listed at 0.50" lift.
i contacted melling and got the specs on the cam i know there are new ones out there but i built four of the 292 yblocks with that cam and they really woke that old motor up its just me i want one it was streetable had a wicked nasty lope and good power
By NoShortcuts - 11 Years Ago
Welcome to the site, Jack. Glen makes a good point regarding the technology today versus what was available at an earlier time.

Like you, my memories of my first y-block 'build' are fond ones. Likely my memories are a bit skewed by time, the excitement of making my first engine modifications, and the way things can become colored with time.

I was well pleased with the TRW TP-105 cam I selected in the middle '60s. One thing that stuck with me from that experience was how well that cam performed in my .060 over 312 and how differently the same cam worked in a friend's slightly overbored 272.

In terms of street-ability, low speed throttle response, and overall drive-ability the same cam was like night and day for the two applications. The valve lift, duration, and overlap worked great with the larger displacement engine and seemed to be too much for the smaller displacement engine.

That said, displacement is but one factor to consider in camshaft selection and engine modification. Carburetor selection, intake and exhaust systems, porting, compression ratio, rockerarm ratio, and tuning all make important contribution to achieving a good working combination that will provide the engine performance you desire.

Best wishes! Smile
ics from melling cam lift .290 int and .294 exh x rocker ratio and duration of 308 int 310 exh as i said this was emailed to me from melling tech geo richmond