Is it a 292 or 312 ECZ block???

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic19085.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By BFOOTER03 - 16 Years Ago
This may seem stupid but is there any other way to determine if a ECZ long block is a 292 vs 312 than the crankshaft?  Have seen Mummerts site and wanted to make sure.  Just to confirm the 312 will have the 1 cresent on 1 DOT.  Thanks
By PF Arcand - 16 Years Ago
Unfortunately this is an area of annoyance with Y-blks. Usually 312 cranks have the one 5/16" diameter dot on the crank flange, but informed sources say this isn't guaranteed. If not there or not visible, the oil pan has to be pulled & look for the ECZ letters on the Main caps. 272s & 292s are marked ECU. If you are buying an engine or car from an Ad, most of them come with 312s, more than were ever manufactured! Buyer beware!
By Ted - 16 Years Ago

As Paul mentions, the oil pan usually needs to be pulled for a more accurate identification.  Even pulling the heads and checking for a 3.800” bore isn’t absolute as a 292 block could have potentially been bored out to 3.800" and beyond.  If the bore checks out to be less than 3.800", then it's not a 312.  And to throw another curve out there, I’ve run across a 292 block with EBU caps that had its mains bored out to the 312 size so a 312 crank could be fitted without turning the 312 main journals down to the 292 size.

As far as identifying a 312 based on the large ‘dot’ on the rear crankshaft flange, there were quite a few 312 crankshafts that were cast as ‘blank’ or with no dot.  If the crankshaft has the 5/16” raised dot, it’s very likely a 312 but no dot being present could potentially go either way.

By BFOOTER03 - 16 Years Ago
That is what I was afraid of.  Appreciate the help.
By PF Arcand - 16 Years Ago
Sorry, I accidently mis identified the 272-292 caps. Ted's I.D. of EBU is correct.