YBM Alum Head photo's

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic18553.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By yehaabill - 16 Years Ago
Y-Guys       Just got my new YBM and WOW!!!! They have arrived(Heads)

They look great but, the clearance around the plugs looks the same.

Will this be enlarged to give the plug socket more room or is this the

pre-production set? Can't wait to see flow results and dyno run....

Bill

By Glen Henderson - 16 Years Ago
The one complant I have with Bruce is the way he mails out the mag, Bill is 90 miles up the road from me and it seems he receives his issue a week or two before mine shows up. Can't wait for it to show up.
By Teros292 - 16 Years Ago
I got my YBM two days ago, it´s really getting fast to other side of world, but it is only about 7 or 8 hours flight from New York to Finland and couple of hours from Bruce to New York and half hour drive from Helsinki airport to me.Hehe
By Daniel Jessup - 16 Years Ago
I read the article about the heads in issue 88, but unless I missed, I did not see anything about the out of the box compression ratio. Anyone know?
By PF Arcand - 16 Years Ago
Daniel: As Charlie says, compression will vary with displacement. However, the best stock compression "G" heads have about 69cc chambers. Mummert is shooting for 60-64cc, a substantial improvement.
By Glen Henderson - 16 Years Ago
I talked to John yesterday, the set of heads that are pictured is the only set todate.  He plans to cast two more sets next week and he is still shooting for early spring for release to the public. I suspect that it will require placing an order and then waiting for him to cast and machine a set due to the investment. I called him in Aug to buy one of the new intakes, he said they should be ready in Oct, but as of yesterday he did not have them ready. I think he has been spending all his time working on the heads. He said that he would try to have the intakes done in 3 to 4 weeks.
By PF Arcand - 16 Years Ago
I can't put words in Mummert's mouth obviously, but I suspect in order to make the heads accessible to a wide cross section of customers, (and financially feasible) he has to keep the compression down somewhat. Not everyone is involved in racing or wanting to pay for premium gas everyday. For those seriously into competition, domed pistons may be necessary in some cases.
By pegleg - 16 Years Ago
Paul,

Not so, the heads will have a TON of deck material, you'll be able to mill them quite extensively. They are already going to be delivered with a smaller than G head combustion chamber, which will raise the static CR over any iron head. Also, as Charlie mentioned, Aluminum heads can be a half point higher at least and have the same octane requirement as iron. John has revised the chamber and relocated the plug, both of which are designed to lower the octane requirement over the iron version. I'll bet these heads will run 9 or 9 1/2 to one on 87 octane. Hows that? 

By pegleg - 16 Years Ago
Charlie,

I'm guessing, but I'd want to be down around a true 9:1 with a blower.

Many of the modern engines run 9 or 10 to one with 87 or 89 octane, chamber design has improved a bunch since the early 50's. My 11 to one Triumph MC runs fine on 89 octane, and it's carbureted, no computer.w00t

By bird55 - 16 Years Ago
Frank, here's my old Triumph. Don't have it anymore though-been gone several years now.Unsure

By pegleg - 16 Years Ago
Alan, shame on you, straight pipes! From the front brake that would be a 66 or 67. My Triumph is a 2003, 3 cyl, water cooled. six speed, ThunderBird Sport. Don't have photos, I also have a '68 BSA Firebird, with mufflers!. They don't work much, but they're on it. 
By bird55 - 16 Years Ago
It was the kind of loud that one's wife would hate, but your girlfriend would love.Tongue

ok, so I tricked you. It's a 70 that I cloned to be a '66 TT, because I always wanted one but couldn't find or afford a rare real one. Smile

Also restored a 69 BSA Victor 441 and sold it at Las Vegas Auction to a Museum collection. very slow-but would go straight up the side of your house. he, he.
By davis - 16 Years Ago
so i'm the guy who doesnt get the YBM, where's the pics??

i'm hangin here waitin for a pic. LOL.

By pegleg - 16 Years Ago
Alan,

The front brake does fool you. I fell for it. I had a 500mx, that I installed a Clews 608 kit and Jerry Branch cylinder head on. Also ran a 36 mm Mikuni, it was farly quick(!Wink) for it's time.

Buddy of mine timed me at 90 mph, on knobbies, on asphalt. I figured that was about enough!

By 57FordPU - 16 Years Ago
You guys are flooding my head with memories.  Nice bike Alan, I just love the look.  Thoes things still turn my head today.  Where are the Amal Monoblock carbs?  Back in the day (66-69) I used to have a TT clone that I drag raced quite a bit with some success in E super stock class.  1965 T-120 Bonneville, 11:1 pistons, Sifton cams and pushrods, lightened and polished rocker arms, drilled and narrowed timing gears, Joe Mondello ported and polished head, a little nitro when they were not looking.  Best ET 12.15, best mph 108.  Man, do I wish I had that bike today.
By 57FordPU - 16 Years Ago
Guess I am a little techno challenged.  I tried to attach a picture of the bike and all I got was a link to the photo.  If you click on the link it does show the bike??? Can anyone help me get photos in the post?  Thanks............ 
By bird55 - 16 Years Ago
I see your bike photo. Very cool. I was never a rider or a racer. But I still always lusted for them. Parents were dead set against it. + at that time I was too young anyway.

I came across mine thro a bother in law deal deal and enjoyed trying to recreate something more than anything else. And I also convinced myself I could sell it when done to fund my yblock project. I had done it on others and I could do it on this one. (WRONG!)

Here's a little one I did knock a home run on. $100 invested, sold at 1800. Should a kept it!.

Long live steve McQueen.

By pegleg - 16 Years Ago

Alan, Here's a shot of my T'Bird Sport (2003) at an antique M/C show in Ohio. They've changed a lot since the 60's. This is a 3 cyl, water cooled 900cc, with 6 speeds. There's a Sprint directly behind it, same motor, hard bags and fairing. The Yello bike in the back is an earlier Sport. Straight back, against the silver van is a new Bonneville. The Bonnies are still twins although they're completely new OHC, 4 valve, 890 cc enginges.

By mctim64 - 16 Years Ago
I just love the old Triumphs.

Here is the only motorcycle I have left its a '70 SL100, I had one when I was a kid and rebuilt it in my parents garage one winter. When I went away to school I sold it to buy a set of tires for My MG. This one I bought from a guy for $300 in 1983 it's been bored out to 122cc, WOW Tongue

By pegleg - 16 Years Ago
John,

Probably not, we are a bit off the subject of Y-blocks here. I do notice Tim has a Triumph Herald and an MGB-GT, neither of which will have Y's in them either.w00t

pegleg (11/29/2008)
John,

Probably not, we are a bit off the subject of Y-blocks here. I do notice Tim has a Triumph Herald and an MGB-GT, neither of which will have Y's in them either.w00t

I think a Y-Block would crush the front suspention on the little Herald, I know it would shred the diff. BigGrin

By pegleg - 16 Years Ago
By the way Tim, I have a '74 Six, has a 3.0 Ford V6 and a Nissan 300zx rear end. I suspect that will eliminate me from the Triumph Club.
Frank,

I tried to send you a PM about the Herald but it said your box was full.  My wife loves it, I don't mind maintaining it, and it is the only one around so we get more attention in that thing than any other car we have. They don't have to be perfect to be fun and interesting. Tongue

By davis - 16 Years Ago
talk about a hijacked thread.

where's the new Y head pics?
By MoonShadow - 16 Years Ago

This is a scan from Y-Block magazine. Hope it helps. Chuck in NH
By Daniel Jessup - 16 Years Ago
Nice scan - talk about real eye candy!
By davis - 16 Years Ago
thats pretty slick.

i dig the Mummert name in script too!

Made in USA to boot!
By DANIEL TINDER - 16 Years Ago
Ted,

Just a point of curiosity:

Are you familiar with the type of tooling/procedures used by FoMoCo factory/foundry in the 50s? I have to wonder why there was so much variation in my ECZ-G chamber volumes (3 CCs +) between cylinders on the same head. Was the final machining done in Cleveland, or were they delivered to Dearborn as raw castings? Unless done freehand, it is hard to imagine that even 50s era automated equipment could be that imprecise?
By Hoosier Hurricane - 16 Years Ago
Bill:

I read that the heads would have 14 mm plugs, maybe it is intended to use the ones with a 5/8 hex, which would use a smaller socket.  Don't worry, John will have it covered.  Wish I had my mag, it isn't here yet.  Maybe the postmaster is reading it.

John in Selma, IN

By charliemccraney - 16 Years Ago
The compression ratio will vary from engine to engine. I think it said they have 59cc combustion chambers.
Doing the math, it looks like it will raise the compression of a given engine by at least 1 point when compared to G heads.  It will be a larger increase on larger engines.  And potentially larger depending on the heads currently installed on that engine.  The increase is necessary to make up for the heat lost due to aluminum's ability to dissipate heat more effectively than iron; heat lost is lost power, increasing compression gets it back.
An increase in compression with aluminum heads does not necessarily mean you will have to use a higher grade fuel.  For the same reason that aluminum pulls heat out of the cylinder more efficiently than steel, an aluminum headed engine also more readily resists detonation.  So higher compression can be run without the need for higher octane, but only to a point.  Changing from iron heads to aluminum heads and increasing compression by a point or so should not require higher grade fuel.  Looking at the flow numbers of the heads, I think they are geared a liittle more to the performance side but we'll have to wait for dyno results to really see what they do.
That will be sweet. Then will they be suitable for boosted applications? I'm thinking the compression will still be too high. I'll be at about 10.5:1 if I swap a set on.
By Hoosier Hurricane - 16 Years Ago
Since all these bikes are showing up on the Y Block site, am I to assume they will all soon be Y powered?  Jus' wonderin'.

John

Any idea if there is enough material in the combustion chamber to enlarge them with a CNC mill so they will be suitable for supercharging or turbocharging?

If the engine is completely computer controlled it should be able to run boost with the higher compression, right?

By charliemccraney - 15 Years Ago
I had a chance to talk with John last week. He says he thinks the chambers can be enlarged and it is actually something he plans on looking into. He wants to get some of these as-cast heads sold first so it may be a year or two before we know. Exciting!
By Ted - 16 Years Ago
charliemccraney (12/15/2008)
Any idea if there is enough material in the combustion chamber to enlarge them with a CNC mill so they will be suitable for supercharging or turbocharging?

If the engine is completely computer controlled it should be able to run boost with the higher compression, right?

Computer control when done properly can potentially net you an additional point in compression over a distributor and carburetor initiated tuneup.  But the learning curve can be expensive as far as mapping an optimum or even safe curve when starting with too many unknowns.  Unfortunately in many instances you don’t know where the edge is until you’ve gone over it as evidenced by the amount of 4.6 Ford mod motor stuff I get in the shop as a result of over the edge mapping.  And much of this originates from running the compression ratio on the high or ragged side when turbocharging or supercharging.  I’m still an advocate of lower compression ratios in conjuction with higher boost pressures instead of higher compression ratios and lower boost pressures.

As far as machining the combustion chambers larger, I’ll pose this to John as he’s the one that will know this.  With a CNC program, the whole of the combustion chamber could possibly be machined which can potentially net a significant increase in combustion chamber cc’s without going very deep into the material.