Who makes Cam Bearings with external Groove?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic167299.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By oldcarmark - Last Week
I believe Someone makes Cam Bearings with External as well as Internal Oil Grooves? Anyone know who makes them. Are these a better Idea than the Durabond Bearings that Ted recommends? Or does Ted Groove the Block when using Durabond Bearings? 
By 55blacktie - Last Week
Schumann modifies the Durabond cam bearings. 

I wasn't aware that Ted recommended Durabond cam bearings. He told me that he prefers Enginetech cam bearings. According to Ted, they aren't as soft and less likely to obstruct the camshaft groove over time. The Enginetech cam bearings are made in South America.  Rather than cutting a deeper cam groove, he prefers no groove at all but cuts a groove in the block instead. 
By Ted - 2 Weeks Ago
I’ll only use the Durabond, Melling, Sealed Power cam bearings when machining the groove in the center cam bore of the block for top end oiling.

For improved top end oiling, my #1 preference is to machine a groove in the center cam bearing bore of the block and then the cam bearing is simply installed over the top of that groove.  This circumvents the issues of soft babbit cam bearings and/or shallow camshaft grooves.  Depending upon the size of the machined groove, it may be necessary to install oil restrictors at the rocker arms.  As a general rule, I will install restrictors with a 0.078” hole at the #2 and #7 rocker arm stands when doing any top end oiling mods for the Ford Y.  Even with 0.078” restrictors, the oil can still overflow the valve cover rails when prelubing the engines which makes the oil flow to the top end more than adequate.

The FE and M-E-L engines when introduced in 1958 had similar grooves in the blocks behind the cam bearings which is why you do not see the same cam bearing issues with those families of engines.  The FE engines restrict the oil to the top end by having the restriction at the head gasket.  The size of that restriction is 0.100”.

Other options for alleviating potential top end oiling issues on the Ford Y that are just as effective as a machined groove are cam bearings with an external groove, a deeper groove in the center camshaft journal, and/or the use of a harder babbit cam bearing material such as found in the Engine Tech CC-508 cam bearing set.

If using the cam bearing set that has an external groove on the center bearing, the installing tool does need to be some kind of draw bar installer and not the hammer and puck style.  Because the groove on the backside of the bearing does make the cam bearing thinner at its middle, the bearing is prone to deformation when using a hammer and puck to install it.  Many of the aftermarket blocks have gone to an external groove cam bearing and installing any of those requires a draw bar or screw type installer.

Here's the link to an older post giving more information.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost155070.aspx
By oldcarmark - 2 Weeks Ago
Back to my original Question. Who ,makes the Bearings with external Groove?  Thanks for your Info Ted.
By paul2748 - Last Week
See first response

oldcarmark (10/7/2024)
Back to my original Question. Who ,makes the Bearings with external Groove?  Thanks for your Info Ted.

By Daniel Jessup - Last Week
55blacktie (10/6/2024)
Schumann modifies the Durabond cam bearings. 

I wasn't aware that Ted recommended Durabond cam bearings. He told me that he prefers Enginetech cam bearings. According to Ted, they aren't as soft and less likely to obstruct the camshaft groove over time. The Enginetech cam bearings are made in South America.  Rather than cutting a deeper cam groove, he prefers no groove at all but cuts a groove in the block instead. 

I bought my set from Schumann... https://www.schumannssalesandservice.com/contact-us/

that was several years back - since that time their website has changed and I do not believe they even list any parts for the Y Block on their site. You will have to contact them.
By 55blacktie - Last Week
Schumann F-9A. 
By oldcarmark - 2 Weeks Ago
Sorry. I see it now. Missed it first Time. Thanks