317 lyb carb selection

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic166739.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By B-rad - 3 Months Ago
I changed out the oil pump and dizzy so I can put on a newer carb. The car is a 54 capri. Trying to figure out the cfm for it. I've been looking at 500 cfm 4 bbl. Is this the best choice? Engine is stock, no high performance parts. Would 600 work okay? What size was the original carb? My engine didn't come with one.
By miker - 3 Months Ago
Brad, that a 2 or 4 barrel? I can’t remember. Enjoying the heat down there?

Mike
By Deyomatic - 3 Months Ago
Once it's set up with the right jetting, etc., it should be good either way.  Think of all the 2bbl intakes that get swapped for 4 bbls.  
By B-rad - 3 Months Ago
The original carb was a 4 bbl holley 2190. So the intake is 4 bbl ready. I found out that the original was 335-375 cfm. So now I'm trying to find a 400 cfm, preferably newer that i can install using an adaptor plate.
By miker - 3 Months Ago
Brad, you’ll get more responses, but I think this is worth looking at. You’ll need someone more knowledgeable than me to say it’s the right adapter.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holley-0-8007-390CFM-Carburetor-w-Adapter-and-14-Inch-Filter-Kit,438349.html

Summit also has a line of carbs that are well spoken of, I think a couple members here have used them. This 500cfm might also fit the bill.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08500vs

I assume you’ll be looking for good low end response and drivability, they might serve that pretty well.
By B-rad - 3 Months Ago
Thanks miker. I just font want to put too big a carb on it. I understand the car will run bad and terrible mileage.
Just saw the carb at speedway. Pricey
By Ted - 3 Months Ago
That LYB engine will run just fine with up to a 600cfm vacuum secondary carburetor on it.  Keep in mind that the secondaries will only open the amount that the engine demands assuming one does not tinker with the secondary spring rate or convert the secondaries to mechanical operation.  The Summit 500cfm carburetor is good fit for most stock cammed engines and for those that are hesitant to use the slightly larger 600 or 750 versions.
Summit Racing SUM-M08500VS Summit Racing™ M2008 Series Carburetors | Summit Racing
By Joe-JDC - 3 Months Ago
I would agree with Ted that the 500 cfm Summit would be a better/good fit for the Lincoln Y.  I have flowed and ported one of those 4V intakes manifolds for another forum member, and it was a terrible intake manifold.  As I told him, it is probably the lowest flowing Ford/LM intake that I have ever tried to flow and port.  Some of the runners were only flowing in the 110-120cfm range.  Don't over carburate it!  JMO, Joe-JDC
By B-rad - 3 Months Ago
So if I was to find a decent 350 to 400 cfm, that would probably be more appropriate for my engine?
By Ted - 3 Months Ago
500 cfm would be fine.  You would be running half of that at full throttle in two barrel mode before the vacuum secondaries actually started to open.  Normal driving would be fine even with a larger carburetor but as Joe brings up, the smaller 500 cfm carburetor would still run fine when putting your foot deep into the throttle.  As a general rule, most of those Fifties Ford engines were grossly under-carburetted from the git go.
By oldcarmark - 3 Months Ago
How about a 390 CFM Holley 8007-0. I have had a couple on my 56 292 and my friends 56 with 292. They come new with 51 main Jets but other than replacing them with 56-60 Jets no other Mods needed. I replaced Needle and Seats with all Steel Units meant for Alcohol Engines so no problem with sticking Inlet Needle. Never had any problem with them.
By Joe-JDC - 3 Months Ago
The Summit carb is a better carb for these vintage vehicles which sit several days to several weeks at a time because it is a bowl style carb instead of the sandwich metering blocks of the 4150/4160 Holley style carbs.  If you can install the air filter assembly on the Summit, I would recommend it.  I have the 750VS on my Thunderbird, and I can let it sit for a month and it will still start in the south TX heat.  Joe-JDC
By B-rad - 3 Months Ago
Anyone have knowledge of a Edelbrock 1403? I found one at a decent price. New. 500 cfm 4 bbl