Building a Better 312 Ford Y Block using a 292 Part2 : Rotating assembly Tech

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic165134.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By John Mummert - Last Year
https://youtu.be/ctydAgMfj0w
By 55blacktie - Last Year
Hi, John. The 6254HS rods arrived within 2 days of placing the order. They were packaged so well that I was reluctant to take them out of the box (but I did). Now I have to find someone to offset grind my 292 crank without charging an arm and a leg. 

Do the forged pistons use a 1.5 mm or 1.2 mm compression ring? Are rings included? Moly coated top ring? Valve reliefs ccs? 4032 or 2618 alloy? 
1.5mm 1.5 3.0mm ring package, 4032 alloy SRP JE piston, top ring is steel, much tougher than moly coated iron.  The rings are out of a current production popular vehicle.  Why not let some of the big OEM technology work for us.
55Blacktie  the messenger appears to be having problems.    The valve reliefs are 3 cc.  Piston to valve clearance has more to do with duration than valve lift.  If the cam is less than 235* @.050 valve pockets are usually not needed.   
By cos - Last Year
Blacktie  Had a 312 crank OS ground a few months ago. The problem around here (Oregon) is finding a crank grinder with a narrow stone to cut oil seal and sling. sling. Have not assembled engine yet hoping indexing  is good but I mentioned it to him I was concerned. Another thing if you are using a crank  that has been cut before (probably not) make sure radius on  outer  part  of rod throws is  there because it  just barely get touched. Using a 292 will save you all of that (sling area). When  balancing   my crank had to cut OD of counter weights  (200 grams) as I remember. I have seen cranks balanced  by drilling holes in counterweights and didn't like look. Had one quote of   $150 hour   said a LEAST 4 hour job. May be a push to send it to John for OS grinding.  Cos  Oregon
By 55blacktie - Last Year
What I'm finding is persistence is required whenever looking for a competent shop that's willing to do the work.