Any Y Block powered vehicles racing at El Mirage in May?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic164165.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Daniel Jessup - Last Year
I am moving to Lancaster, California on May 1. Since El Mirage will be only 40 minutes away from where I live, I would love to take in the events of the SCTA as I am able. Does anyone here on the site run a Y Block race car at El Mirage, or does anyone know of someone not on the site that races their Y Block at the lake bed?

https://scta-bni.org/el-mirage-general-info

By Marc - Last Year
I know Tim McMaster has been there a time or two with his pickup, though I can't say if he will be there this year.
By DryLakesRacer - Last Year
Since I’ve been going over 45 year the only 2 are Tim and Charlie Burns. I haven’t seen Charlie in at least 5. He was still on our site a year ago. 
El Mirage got pretty wet and at our patrol duty club meeting this month there was still standing water.  Always check on the SCTA-BNI.org page to see if it’s cancelled or not. I believe Tim and Charlie  ran the 2 day meets which are May and November. July is always very hot.
Daniel… The wind ALWAYS blows at El Mirage. It’s not a place you bring a nice car too. The dust is so fine will get behind the glass of instruments on your dash. J D
By Daniel Jessup - Last Year
DryLakesRacer (4/23/2023)
Since I’ve been going over 45 year the only 2 are Tim and Charlie Burns. I haven’t seen Charlie in at least 5. He was still on our site a year ago. 
El Mirage got pretty wet and at our patrol duty club meeting this month there was still standing water.  Always check on the SCTA-BNI.org page to see if it’s cancelled or not. I believe Tim and Charlie  ran the 2 day meets which are May and November. July is always very hot.
Daniel… The wind ALWAYS blows at El Mirage. It’s not a place you bring a nice car too. The dust is so fine will get behind the glass of instruments on your dash. J D

Duly noted on the wind! I would certainly like to at least spectate a year or two - sounds like my kind of crowd - and would certainly love to learn more about it. Maybe I should build a car just for the dry lake bed? Sounds like a good project to me!

I did notice on the website that it seemed as if to enter one of the races you had to be a member of one of the clubs, correct?

By DryLakesRacer - Last Year
You can run as a guest but the vehicle will be a race car meeting at minimum every safety rule for the speed it could attain. If not meeting any listed class it can run in “time only”.

Not to discourage you at all, but anything you build will be a “race vehicle”. There is no driving of a race vehicle on the lake bed at all period unless on the course in competition. Any build will meet every safety of its class and speed. A SCTA rule book is a must. 

Let’s say you choose a 55 post Ford coupe with a 292”. That’s a D/Classic Prroduction coupe and sedan. Record speed 205+. That means your build will need to meet every rule for 200+ mph. A full roll cage similar to a NHRA Pro Stock, all interior upholstery removed. Racing seat, welded racing wheels, 200mph+ tires, minimum 3/2-15 fire suit, limb restraints, gloves, shoes, head restraint device, 2 separate fire systems, all glass replaced by lexan, etc.

With a little researching on the SCTA site under forms you can actually find an entry/ checklist that every vehicle uses and see what will be needed if it pertains to your class. I print one before every time I plan to enter my gas roadster  .. pretend I’ve never seen my car car and go thru it line by line. 

Tim McMaster, after building his own pickup, bought a legal roadster for his y-block to go faster and reach 200. I’m not telling you do it at all because of the fun I’ve had doing it with my family and friends for 45 years. What ever you choose will be fun..JD..