Ford lifter tool

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic163236.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 63.5xl - Last Year
Been checking ebay and the rest of the internet for the Ford tool to install lifters. Has anyone seen one for sale or one to rent. I bought a 292 from a local guy that was complete. He had someone else put the machine shop bore it .040 over and flattop pistons he said.
Does not know if the crank was turned and how much if it was. A new cam from summit, does not remember what cam. The heads were done, does not remember what all they did.
It has the ECZ-G heads, which because of the price was why the engine is in my garage now.
I have to take the pan off anyway because it has a truck pan and I need to put on a front sump pan for my 56 Fairlane, which btw I need a tube and sump for a car pan.
I will see then what the main and rod bearings are.
I will pull the heads and see how much the pistons are down. Then i will have to pull the cam out and hpoefully find some numbers on the end of it to tell me what it is.
I have to pull the cam because when he told me it had a new cam and I had also ask him if he got the lifter with the cam he told me they used the old lifters.
But the price was so good That the heads are worth it to me by theirselves.
So that is the ling of it why I need to look for a lifter tool.
By Hoosier Hurricane - Last Year
Since the engine is out, and upside down to pull the cam out, you can replace the lifters with an assortment of tools like "remote fingers", magnet on a stick, etc, and install the lifters from the front and around the crank and rods and work them into place without the special tool which installs the lifters with the engine in the car.  Be patient, you can do it.
By Florida_Phil - Last Year
Too many "he saids" in this story.  Find out what you have before you buy anything.  Mount your engine on an engine stand.  Make sure the cam bearings are installed correctly. Turn the block upside down and install new cam and lifters from the bottom.  I believe the tool you are talking about was used to change the cam and lifters with the engine in the car.  Never used one.
By Ted - Last Year
John and Phil are both correct in mentioning that having the engine upside down on an engine stand will get the job done in changing out the camshaft and lifters.  Changing the lifters on the upside-down engine while it's on a stand is actually quicker than using the aforementioned lifter tool.  The Ford Y lifter tool that was used by the service departments back in the day were designed to change the lifters while the engine was still in the car.

Here are pictures of two different Ford Y lifter tools that were available back in the day.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/11f2200e-5463-42a8-8d3a-e00c.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/69f0899a-95d0-432b-8681-2b27.jpg  
By Florida_Phil - Last Year
Back when I was a teenager working on my '56 Ford, the only specialized tool I wished I had was a crankshaft damper puller.  Hammering them on and off was never that successful. Later when I got a real job, it was one of the first tools I bought.  Still have it today. Tongue
By 55blacktie - Last Year
Me, too.

Damper Dudes said that many dampers that are sent to them have been beaten with hammers; mine was an exception.
By 2721955meteor - Last Year
need a set of resurfaced lifters, slimmer  tip for higher lift cams. 5.00 us for 16,plus frt. don't need the old 1s. email ct1940@shaw.ca
By 55blacktie - Last Year
Slimmer tip?
By Lord Gaga - Last Year
$5.00 for 16 + freight?
By peglegrice - Last Year
John, New E Mail address. peglegrice@Yahoo.com. Computer died could not get back on my old Email

By 2721955meteor - Last Year
MENT TO SAY 5.00 EACH FOR SET OF 16. NO CORES REQUERED