Dual point dwell settings

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic162525.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Daveg - 2 Years Ago
Another question for the gurus Smile
The Mallory YC 325 A distributor my 55 bird is the first dual point I've owned.
My understanding is, to set the dwell, block the secondary points with cardboard and adjust the primary points to the recommended dwell setting, then remove the cardboard and adjust to a recommended 'combined' dwell settings.
The specs stamped into the plate on my YC only lists 'Gap each point: 0.20 - Dwell each point 26'.
Do I translate this as meaning I need to block the secondary points and set dwell to 26, and then unblock the secondaries and block the primaries and adjust again to 26? No combined dwell setting?
By miker - 2 Years Ago
Setting dual points really stretches my memory. But best I recall, you’ve got it. 26* each, and how they are located controls total dwell. Then check the timing, if they weren’t exactly the same the last time it was all done, the timing will be off.
By Ted - 2 Years Ago
Four lobes or eight lobes that the points are riding on?  If four lobes, then it's important that each set of points be set to 26° dwell.  If eight lobes, I would still set each set of points individually to 26° dwell and then just take note of what the total dwell is.
By paul2748 - 2 Years Ago
I have a 302 with a Mallory points dostributor in my 48 (not the old model).It's been awhile but I seem to recalll that the directions  say you set one set set of points with a cardboard piece in between the other set, than do the same thing with the other set of points.
By Daveg - 2 Years Ago
Thanks all!
Ted, it is an 8 lobe cam.
My dwell meter (digital) decided to read 46 whether I have it hooked up or not.. So for today, I just gapped the points at .20 and she fired up after just a brief turn of the key Smile
Tomorrow I'll replace my dwell meter as well as a timing light with advance capabilities and really dial her in.
Thanks again everyone!
By miker - 2 Years Ago
Since we’re talking about dual points. Back in the late 60’s I put a Mallory kit in a 57 tach drive distributor in my 55 Thunderbird. Since it was the factory distributor, when you removed the oem plate and vacuum can the vacuum advance went away. It came with this little switch, under vacuum it opened (electrically disconnected) one set of points, adding advance at the expensive of total dwell time. I didn’t use it for long, but I’ve still got it.