AOD

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic161884.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By FORD DEARBORN - 2 Years Ago
Under the thread "scrubs" Doug T posted an awesome picture - very nice package. I'm curious about the starter motor install in your build.  Noticing how the bell housing is opened up at the starter location, does it therefore allow the use of the original starter?  I have never done this conversion nor known anyone who has on a Y-block but always read the geared starter must be used with this conversion.  The AOD is one of the most bullet proof 4 speed automatics our there - how has it worked out for you??
By MoonShadow - 2 Years Ago
I did the AOD conversion years ago. The kit I used was from Benedtzens and requires the use of a high torque starter. These have been the only week point in them. The starters seem to fill up with gunk over time and stop working. I've had several rebuilt or replaced them. Other than that I couldn't be happier. I used the early Mustang unit and there is a much stronger one built later on that a number of improvements. I'd say its worth the work although the adapters are not cheap. Chuck
By bird55 - 2 Years Ago
I've also installed an AOD in 55Bird. When I first did it I felt like I was on my own as I couldn't find anyone who had done a TBIRD yet. I finally did it, even though I blew the first one to pieces! Trans builders' fault not mine, luckily. I've been using this one for years and have made a bunch of trips in it. I was also able to figure out how to use the original floor shifter and get all the gear positions. This is something they said wasn't possible. I have had no issues with the gear drive starter. Altho, I miss the sound of the original. It always sounds to me like it is weak, but that's just me it is spinning the engine just fine. Just sounds like a Chrysler Sad. I've never had to replace the starter. I did all this in around 2008. I would not hesitate to do it again. I'm glad I learned how to do it all. My setup is a Bendtsons.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9a2ee5f6-b6db-4de8-8dc1-b79b.jpg

By 55blacktie - 2 Years Ago
Bulletproof?" Maybe behind a Y-block, but it's not bulletproof beyond 450 hp. The AOD in my 88 Mustang 5.0 had to be rebuilt at 98,000 miles. It shifted okay, but it whined. The Saturn dealer that sold it to me thought they could get by with putting Slick 50 in it to quiet it down. I got about a block away from the dealer, heard the whining, and returned. I asked one of the technicians what he thought putting Slick 50 in the transmission would do; he replied, "Nothing." Fortunately, it came with a warranty and was rebuilt. I later sold the car with 188,000 miles. The transmission was fine. 

The AOD is similar to the Fordomatic. In stock form, it will not hold 2nd gear unless you immediately manually downshift into low after the transmission shifts into 2nd. 

Jim Galatioto (ATO Transmissions) does not like the AOD transmission. Although it doesn't have overdrive, he thinks the C4 is a better transmission.
It looks like the the mounting area for the starter on Doug T's post is opened up. Unlike what Bird55 posted.  Its that open area that made me curious about what starter he is using. I guess we will have to wait until he comments on it.  And yes, bullet proof. I've had several in various vehicles and only had an issue with one. It had then 190,000 miles on it. I rebuilt it and put another 20,000 on it then had to give up the vehicle before the body rusted off the frame - a 1989 Bronco. 
By DryLakesRacer - 2 Years Ago
If bird55 would open up his posting and edit it by putting some spaces (returns) between his narrative and the photo we could read it…or maybe delete the photo..
By miker - 2 Years Ago
DLR, it reads fine for me on my browser. Only one line after the pic. Must be a computer problem. Something I can’t help with.
By panel driver - 2 Years Ago
I installed the Bendstons  kit for my AOD a few years back in my 56. I remember having to open up the starter area in the transmission 
housing so the reduction gear starter would clear in the transmission.   It has worked very good for me. In overdrive I am about 2100 rpm at 70 mph 
using a stock 3.92 rear gear.  I used a tranny out of a lincoln town car. 
I found the hardest part was getting the throttle pressure set and adjusting the throttle pressure cable to make the shift points right. 
I believe it's a given an AOD conversion requires a modern geared starter by design. I was curious if someone found a way to retain the original Y-block starter with it's unique cool sound. Thanks everyone.................
By Doug T - 2 Years Ago
DOUG T's AOD installation
The Adaptor was the last one made by Randy Rezucka.  It made of 3/8" steel plate with Conical Flat head screws to the engine and regular AOD pattern and bolts.  The starter is a geared Ford truck unit and the Flexplate is a Ford 6 truck engine piece.  The Starter mounts more or less  in the Y block position which required the cut in the bell housing, but I had a 1/2x2 aluminum bar welded across the resulting opening, The AOD is '89 mustang with A TransGo reprogramming kit, all new friction parts, a 4R70W wide ratio conversion Lokar kickdown kit and a Winters shifter.  I was never very fond of the Bendtsen adaptor,  particularly with the length it added and the spacer for the flex plate to the crank.
The engine trans have not been run in the car yet, maybe next year.  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2ce7105f-e68b-4c5c-af66-bdb5.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1fe5e7cc-e3a9-4051-88ae-233e.jpg

Thanks for sharing, very interesting and informative.  Would aappreciate any reports of progress - thanks again.
By bird55 - 2 Years Ago
Blacktie55, Actually if you read up on the AOD in drag racing it has a good track record and that is what convinced me to use it that plus the additional gear. Of course most of the upgrades cost money but that is always the way of hot rod and Go Fast parts.
There are several sites and parts sellers who can provide a bulletproof AOD well over 500 hp. Here is one example:
https://www.fbperformance.com/ViewTransmission/?TransmissionID=42