Shorter Oil filter

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic161380.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By idaho211 - 2 Years Ago
1960 ford F100. Has a larger than stock steering box. The oil filter clearance is not enough for the standard spin oil filter. Does anyone use a shorter style filter? If so do you have the brand/part number? Appreciate it.
By DryLakesRacer - 2 Years Ago
I use a Wix 51085 which is just under 4” where the 51515 is just over 5”. Been using them for 5 years and easier for me to install it do to steering. O’Reilly’s near me stocks them. I went by the Wix specs for the 51515 when looking for a compatible shorter filter. 
Thank you! That would fit about right.
By darrell - 2 Years Ago
they are just a chrysler filter.everything from the slant to 440 used them.
By paul2748 - 2 Years Ago
I also use the Wix 51085 on my 54.  Motorcraft FL300 is another short filter.
By panel driver - 2 Years Ago
You may also try a FL820S motorcraft  I am pretty sure the threads and gasket surface are the same.  
By DryLakesRacer - 2 Years Ago
It’s just not the threads and gasket, you need to make sure the bypass pressure and other specs for the correct filter are met. Wix quality  is rated very high and it’s been my choice for years. Our Dart Iron block and head dirt track race engines and my Bonneville engine get their racing filters. 
I’m sure many different filters will work and with the engine surface plate being installed correctly for the most part a filter is not a major concern.

Thank you for all the advice. I went with the Wix 51085.
By 2721955meteor - 2 Years Ago
I had the same issue with my 48 mercy m47 with 292 and Toyota steering box. I purchased a adaptor and remote mounted the oil filter. Fram has a short filter, but in my case it was still to close. the remote is great  just  be sure to use good lines