Transmission Swap

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic158665.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Cliff - 3 Years Ago
Hi guys, I am working on a 1957 Fairlane 500 with a 312 and a  Ford-o-Matic, I have a complete 1962 Cruise-o-Matic that I would like to install (292 setup), my question, can I still use the bell crank for the kick down? what's the best way to deal with the column shift, what about the driveshaft and speedo cable? I have the 1962 flexplate, converter, and bellhousing (aluminium)

Thanks    
By FORD DEARBORN - 3 Years Ago
Cliff, I performed basically the same swap in the early 70's so hopefully I can remember some of the things necessary for this to work.  My car was a 57 Fairlane 312 Ford-o-Matic. The Cruise-o-Matic was from a 63 Mercury 390.  I used the original 57 FOM converter and flexplate as the splines were the same. Since the COM used a vacuum modulator valve, the stock throttle control (grasshopper) only served as a means for the kickwown with a slight modification.  By carefully drilling out the threads in the clevis, the device normally used to adjust the length of the throttle controle rod,  now allowed the clevis to slide down the throttle rod as the pedal is pressed twards the floor.  A pair of nuts back to back threaded down the rod could then be adjusted to where the downshift should occur.  As for the shifter, I drilled a series of "adjuster" holes in the transmission shift lever so as to adjust for the correct throw to allow for the extra detent (green dot/drive 2).  This allowed the park and low position to be in the correct place with the stock shifter and column.   Reverse and neutral were very close, like, close enough.  In hindsight, a shift position indicator from a 58 Ford equipped with COM may have worked? But It was easy to learn by feel where the green dot is.   I'm not 100% sure (long time ago and old memory) but I may have used the original kickdown lever and shift lever from the FOM to the COM.  As for speedometer gear, I think it was a matter of just finding the correct gear and installing it on the 57 cable.  I dont remember what was done, if anything, about the drive shaft as at that time,  I had quite a  collection of Ford shafts for these occasions.  I drove this fun spirited car over 30 years with the above modifications.  Well worth the effort, however, at that time, we cold find a dozen COM's for a dime.   Hope this helps, JEFF.........
By PF Arcand - 3 Years Ago
Cliff: Just curious, is the Fordomatic in bad shape?.. Many insist on referring to them as 2 speed transmissions. Prior to 1959 they are actually "3 spds". You just have to engage low by the shift lever or by full throttle.. If it's in good repair it might not be worth the trouble/expense to replace it.. I find it a fun transmission to drive.. 
By Cliff - 3 Years Ago
The Ford O is good, but a cruise O drives much better, this car is getting a real motor, .060 312 (not a 292) forged flat top pistons (.010 in the hole) angle milled and ported 113 heads 2.02 / 1.60 (Manley race flow), .021 head gaskets, Howards cam (ground by Don before he died), Isky springs and retainers, Erson push rods, Cloyes timing set, 257 Manifold 2x500 cfm, WH Ducoil, McCulloch supercharger VS57 front half SN 2000 back half, BnB Rockers.
By FORD DEARBORN - 3 Years Ago
My apologies for not starting a new thread but I must ask:  .021" head gaskets?   That's aboiut what the old steel shim gaskets were. 
By Cliff - 3 Years Ago
Yes, that's what I like to use, no seepage down the side of the block (like the blue gaskets), I have a supply of copper coated steel head gaskets.