Door sag

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic156500.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By montana ford man - 3 Years Ago
My passenger side door sags on my 55 crown victoria,im not sure how to fix the problem.I thought it needed new pins but where are they located? I know some of you have dealt with this problem so what did you do? 
By KULTULZ - 3 Years Ago
It sags when opened? You need to have someone pick up on the rear of the door when opened while you observe the hinges. Loose pins are noticeable. Also look for weakness in the hinge pillar and latch pillar or door frame for that matter. The hinge pin holes may be elongated and/or out-of-round,

RF UPPER HINGE SHOWN-

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6565a142-377f-4ed1-8763-9dce.jpg
By montana ford man - 3 Years Ago
thanks  yes it sags and i have to lift up on the door handle to get it closed   i see i need to remove each hinge completly to put on new pins  would it be better to take the door completly off?
By KULTULZ - 3 Years Ago
... would it be better to take the door completly off?

Well, it might be easier if you are prepared to wrestle a heavy door. A special lift was (is) available to use with a floor jack. Other than that, you might be able to support the door with a floor jack while R&R the hinges. Just don't let it get away from you ... $$$ ...

Check you SHOP MANUAL ford adjusting/shimming the hinges if necessary.
By bird55 - 2 Years Ago
I just wanted to add to this that door sag is not all about just door hinges. I replaced my hinge pins and it improved the doors in my Tbird. However, with time, they have begun to resettle again. I'm thinking it may have as much to do with frame and body mounts being the age of the car. If you can consider shimming and experimenting with new body cushions you may have better success. None of this is a simple job so be prepared to spend some time at it.

BTW, I haven't redone this as yet myself, it's just my theory!
By 55blacktie - 2 Years Ago
Probably best left to a professional who knows these cars.
By bird55 - 2 Years Ago
Oh, I do not disagree, however find me a professional? I've been around these for years and if you want something done you almost always have to have to figure it out on your own. Most bodymen and frame guys no longer mess with the old stuff as insurance jobs are much more profitable. But it is  the professional way to do it.
By paul2748 - 2 Years Ago
+Your right.  Best to find a restoration shop to have this done.

bird55 (1/12/2022)
Oh, I do not disagree, however find me a professional? I've been around these for years and if you want something done you almost always have to have to figure it out on your own. Most bodymen and frame guys no longer mess with the old stuff as insurance jobs are much more profitable. But it is  the professional way to do it.

By montana ford man - 2 Years Ago
after taking the door off i discovered the top hinge pin broke , after putting in a used hinge it works much better,after adjusting the door for an hour or so it works reasonably well  btw i could not drive the old pin out no matter what i did so i opted for replacing the whole hinge     
By bird55 - 2 Years Ago
Glad you were able to get it solved!