Modern Super Chargers?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic156445.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Florida_Phil - 3 Years Ago
I've been thinking about this question for some time.  Is it possible to build a supercharged 292 powered Tbird using new or aftermarket parts?   Given the original blower stuff is over 60 years old and priced like gold, it seems like a modern replacement might be feasible. If so, what would happen if you bolted this onto a stock 9/1 four barrel engine?  Anyone tried this?
By Joe-JDC - 3 Years Ago
That is one of the things Pat Fleischman does for the Y.  He is here on the forum.  Very reliable.  Joe-JDC  
Does he have a website or Facebook page where he discusses this mod?

By Joe-JDC - 3 Years Ago
It is a business, he sells them.  I don't think it is fair to discuss modifications to something that is an ongoing business.  I am sure he would be glad to talk with you if you are interested in buying a system from him.  I know my Pro Charger system for my mustang cost me ~$7000.00 with intercooler and fuel pump, injectors, etc..  The pulleys, brackets, fuel pump, fuel tank, ignition controls, etc., all add up to some serious cash.  Joe-JDC
By miker - 3 Years Ago
I ran a Paxton SN2000 on a 320 cid 9:1 motor for several years. Mummert ported 113 heads, 312 crank in a 292 block, offset ground. It was a true 9:1 static, cc'd, etc. I only ran 4-5lbs boost, and on 91 premium I had 2 degrees retard in at 2lbs. That was a nice little motor for street use. The blower went away when I put the small chamber aluminum heads on.

I've got a 312 with an offset ground crank for 340 cid, true 8:1, Mummert ported 471 heads. It's an F code clone, using Frank's brackets and a VR57 redone by Pat. It's also a good motor, and it's in a Dearborn Deuce cabriolet. More power than I need at my age.

Both blocks are less than the usual maximum bore, due to the sonic check and boost. I can provide more details if you're interested.
By suede57ford - 3 Years Ago
You can purchase a fully restored and ready to use '57 F-code VR57/58 Supercharger that has been converted internally with modern SN93 internal for similar pricing to the new style head units.  There are plenty of cores for VR57/58's available. 

The conversion use the original VR housing with manufactured conversion components and the internals are now common SN Paxton parts. 

The perfomance of a converted VR blower is similar to a Paxton SN 93 blower and there are additional impeller upgrades as well. 

The blower brackets, Bonnets, and pulleys are available from several other members such as Frank Rice's company Rebop.

There is no shortage of Lincoln T-Pot carbs to make F-carb clones.  You can use a modern Blow-Thru type Carb or Holley Sniper fuel injection as well.

You just have to decide if you want the modern looking supercharger head unit and components or a more traditional looking Paxton VR57. 

The price difference is not significant between the vintage parts for the look or the new styled box store stuff.

Feel free to contact me for more information.  autospec57@yahoo.com

By Hoosier Hurricane - 3 Years Ago
The T-Bird mounting brackets and drive pulleys are different than passenger car ones and are EXTREMELY rare and expensive.  You can probably fabricate your own brackets to mount VR or aftermarket blowers.
By DryLakesRacer - 3 Years Ago
A fellow I see at Sunday car gatherings liked my dual quads so much he installed a Pro-Charger style on his 56 Sunliner. Looked stock but wasn’t. One-upped me big time. Kept it under 5psi on a stock 296”. He admitted to over $5K in it even tho I never asked him. He recently sold the car and I haven’t seen it since. Sure looked good.
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm sure having a supercharger on your car ups the WOW factor significantly, especially if you are fan of the Y-Block.  Some of the blower parts prices I have seen on EBay seem excessive.  Unless you are building an original blower car, who cares if all the parts are original?  I can image someone could get $8-10K into a Y-Block supercharged project alone.  Then you would have to address the weak 1955 tranny and rear end. By the time you are done, you could almost buy a second Tbird.
By KULTULZ - 3 Years Ago
HP = $$$
How fast to you want to go and how much money do you have ?

Should Read - How fast do you want to go ...

By DryLakesRacer - 3 Years Ago
Phil. The gentleman I talked to with the Sunliner had a C-4 and a 9” rear with higher gears so he didn’t worry about original stuff. The car had nice 15” wheels and Aerostar springs(why I did mine) and disc brakes. Other than the slight rake and wheels the car looked completely stock which is very popular today and actually always too me.

I have twice in my 56 Victoria than I could ever get for it and can care less. I’ve done it all over the last 9 years. If I wanted a blower, I’d just go do it but that’s just me. Other than running out of time we are comfortable enough and enjoy what we have. You make your own “luck” as my dad would say by the right choices in life.. this site is one of the best on the net....
By suede57ford - 3 Years Ago
Reproduction Mounting Brackets for Thunderbird(RH mounting) with VR57/58 are available as are Passenger Car (LH mounting) from another forum member.

Ebay pricing often does not reflect what parts trade for between members.
i guess it depends on what turns you on.  This is not my first classic car, it will most likely be my last. For the money it would cost me to supercharge my Tbird, I could replace the 292 with a big block.  To me, popping the hood to show a dual quad FE with pent roof valve covers would be many levels higher than a blower 292. I understand this is not an opinion shared among all forum members. I am always looking for ways to improve my car. Everything is a trade off of some kind.