Texas Weather disaster..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic155088.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By PF Arcand - 3 Years Ago
Glad to see "Ted" is still on line, although apparently with some interuptions.. The weather & damage reports we've been getting from down there, up here in the Northwest, look somewhat grim.  Hope others down there are fairing o.k..  
By Ted - 3 Years Ago
I’m in Central Texas (just south of Waco) and there were a lot of cold weather records broken.  Nine days below freezing was just one of those records but the number of times the temperatures dropped to negative Fahrenheit numbers was another.  It’s unusual for the temperatures to drop into the teens but the negative temperatures for several days in a row were just unreal.  I believe the last time I saw my tank (man made pond) freeze over was in 2010? and that’s when the temperatures dropped into the freezing zone for maybe three days.  1983 in this area did have the a string of six days where the temperature stayed below the freezing point.  That tank is now frozen over to the point that I could probably walk across it.  Not going to try that though but I’m sure my Lab has thought about it.  I just tell him “NO” and he gives me that “Why not?” look.  I’m looking out the window now and the sun is out already starting to melt off the snow and ice.  I see where the forecast is already for 77°F by Wednesday of next week.  It will be good to get back to normal.
By Joe-JDC - 3 Years Ago
Down here in San Antonio, we got 4 1/2" snow Monday, and another 4" on Wednesday, 9* for a low.  Power out at my house for over 26 hours, with a couple of three minute blips, just long enough to heat a cup of coffee.  Rolling power outages were a farce for the first three days, and people were very testy at Lowe's, HEB, Wal Mart when trying to get an advantage in finding things.  HEB is rationing meat, eggs, milk, etc.  Today, the temperature is 57*, and almost all the snow has melted.  I still have a little on the North side of the house and yard.  The last time we had measurable snow was in Jan 1985 when a freak storm dropped 13 1/2" overnight.  People still talk about the snow storm of '85.  Hope everyone else is safe and warm.  Joe-JDC
By MoonShadow - 3 Years Ago
We had about 4" one time while living in El Paso. Everything shut down! By one PM it had almost all melted. In Killeen we had a dusting, just enough to turn the grass white but not the roads. The schools shut down and told the kids to contact their parents or walk home. They wouldn't run the busses for "safety reasons". It was pre cell phone era so most of the military people couldn't be contacted. Kids walked and mostly had a ball. 
By Hoosier Hurricane - 3 Years Ago
In the '86-'87 era my daughter was living in Dallas.  There was an ice storm, and being a born Hoosier, she was able to navigate alright on ice, having had practice while living at home.  She told us how much problem the locals were having making their vehicles go where they wanted them to.  We saw on the news a live overhead broadcast of an interstate, and a garbage truck did a 360 degree spin and continue his journey in the same lane he started in.  Must have been a displaced Hoosier!
By Ted - 3 Years Ago
Still some traces of snow against the shop but most of it is gone this morning.  Fields around me are now clear whereas two days ago it looked like a scene from up North.  Still some ice on the tank but that too is melting quite quickly.  Suppose to be up to 69°F today so that will finish off the remainder of any snow and ice in my area.  Ditto on the comments about the drivers.  Amazing how fast some were driving on the icy roads around here.