Oregon Cams #819 Grind

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic154846.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 55blacktie - 3 Years Ago
Has anyone used Oregon Cams' #819? It is supposed to be their most popular Y-block grind.
By charliemccraney - 3 Years Ago
What are the specs?
Charlie, I sent email. Site won't let me PM at the moment.
By charliemccraney - 3 Years Ago
I don't think the email feature works, either.  I don't have an email.

Just write them in a reply.
By FORD DEARBORN - 3 Years Ago
If need be, I can type in the pecs for #819 cam from the spec sheet I have from Oregon Cam. I tried to post the whole sheet but can't for some reason.
Thanks, FD, but I have them. I just thought if this is their most popular Y-block grind, somebody out there would be using it.
By PF Arcand - 3 Years Ago
To get to the point... Is this grind a copy of the EDB or "D" code "57 ford" cam, which I know they have available?.
By Ted - 3 Years Ago
FORD DEARBORN (2/2/2021)
If need be, I can type in the specs for #819 cam from the spec sheet I have from Oregon Cam. I tried to post the whole sheet but can't for some reason.

If you will email to me the spec sheet you have, I will post it for all to see.  My email address is at www.eatonbalancing.com  at the ‘Contact Us’ heading.

By Ted - 3 Years Ago
PF Arcand (2/3/2021)
To get to the point... Is this grind a copy of the EDB or "D" code "57 ford" cam, which I know they have available?.

When ordering the 1957 272 B code /292 C code /312 D code camshaft from Oregon Cam Grinding, I simply specify ‘FO-312’ and specify that a new blank be used and not a regrind.  I have never had to use a grind number to order that particular camshaft.  The ‘FO-312’ camshafts I have ordered in the past were not supplied with a cam sheet or spec card so I’m unaware of what the grind number would be for that particular camshaft.

When degreeing in any camshaft, it can then be verified that is the correct grind or not.  It’s not unusual for a camshaft to be completely different or not agreeing with a cam card as they can be mis-boxed quite easily.  Hence another reason for degreeing in the camshaft.  Assume nothing.
Thanks, all, but the 819 grind is not the 312 cam.
By MplsMike - 3 Years Ago
Does this link help, about 10th row down?

http://www.oregoncamshaft.com/Mechanical-Cam-Specs.html
Thanks, again, but I already know the specs, and I only want to hear from someone who is actually using the 819 cam. 
I think everyone else want's to know what the actual specs are for this cam. For some reason I couldn't get the full Oregon Cam spec sheet to post but thanks to MplsMike, we can ALL see the specs for the 819 cam. Ted, that's the sheet I tried to post. The FO312 cam you mentioned is what I had ground for my build about 7 years ago which was a very close copy of the 57 "-B" cam. It was supplied with a cam sheet and I will try emailing it to you.............JEFF
By Ted - 3 Years Ago
Jeff.  Thanks for the offer to email me a spec sheet for the FO-312 camshaft.  I can take that and compare it to the actual specs to the FO-312 camshafts that I have reverse engineered.  The three that I have reverse engineered vary somewhat when compared to each other so it would be interesting to see what the advertised specs are.  The grind #718 is the grind that comes closest to those that I have installed but still not a perfect match.

In looking at the specs for grind #819, that particular camshaft looks like the valve train is going to be on the noisy side and the tight valve lash that’s listed for it is trying to minimize that noise.  It will be interesting if there is someone out there that has actual experience with that particular camshaft in that regard.  While I have had dealings with several OCG camshafts, the grind #819 has not been one of them.
Cam sheet sent. If the quality is too poor or you didn't receive it, let me know and I'll try something else, JEFF..............
Ted, do you think all cams/w tight lash have noisy valve trains, or just this particular cam, because there are are just 29-degrees between the advertised duration and duration @ .050, indicating aggressive lobes? It's not a big cam.
By Ted - 3 Years Ago
FORD DEARBORN (2/4/2021)
Cam sheet sent. If the quality is too poor or you didn't receive it, let me know and I'll try something else, JEFF..............

Jeff.  The copy of the cam spec sheet you sent was good and very legible.  Thanks.  It does confirm that the FO-312 camshaft is indeed the Grind #718.

55blacktie (2/4/2021)
Ted, do you think all cams/w tight lash have noisy valve trains, or just this particular cam, because there are are just 29-degrees between the advertised duration and duration @ .050, indicating aggressive lobes? It's not a big cam.

As you bring up and for that particular grind, I do attribute the noisy valve train to the lack of or minimum number of degrees between the advertised and 0.050” numbers.  The opening / closing ramps will dictate what the valve lash will look like so not all short advertised duration cams will have a reduced lash setting.