Original turn signal flasher '56

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic154368.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Rusty_S85 - 4 Years Ago
Does anyone know the original turn signal flasher number that Ford used for the '56 year model cars?

I replaced my old one finally but I believe it has been replaced once before as its an Ideal Corp Heavy Duty Flasher 536 is the number and it went out on me Wed on my way home from my christmas party at work.  I looked up in my parts and illustration guide the number and it gave me a '62 revisement number of C2AZ-13350-A and I picked up two NOS motorcraft units but the flasher inside both boxes are a Wagner 223 Flasher and it flashes funky the first few flashes but once the flashing settles down it still way faster than my old flasher.

Kinda want to find the original number flasher and try it if possible otherwise I might just try to source a stock of Ideal 536 flasher units as this one worked great for me flash wise.
By FORD DEARBORN - 4 Years Ago
Usually rapid flashing is caused by more current than the flasher is designed for. Like, when a trailer is attached to the electrical system thus adding an extra bulb to the circuit. I'm not familiar with the replacement you have but I found that the Wagner 552 works excellent even with one of the bulbs being an LED.  That flasher is available and inexpensive. If that flasher doesn't work then there may be on over current condition?                                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-552-WAGNER-12-VOLT-2-PRONG-FLASHER-DOT-1-3/261525302428?epid=235663679&hash=item3ce41f6c9c:g:3PMAAOxyqUpQ5cVm
FORD DEARBORN (12/27/2020)
Usually rapid flashing is caused by more current than the flasher is designed for. Like, when a trailer is attached to the electrical system thus adding an extra bulb to the circuit. I'm not familiar with the replacement you have but I found that the Wagner 552 works excellent even with one of the bulbs being an LED.  That flasher is available and inexpensive. If that flasher doesn't work then there may be on over current condition?                                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-552-WAGNER-12-VOLT-2-PRONG-FLASHER-DOT-1-3/261525302428?epid=235663679&hash=item3ce41f6c9c:g:3PMAAOxyqUpQ5cVm

The Rapid flashing is only this flasher unit I picked up.  The HD Ideal 536 that I took out it flashed what I felt was a proper speed for a old '50s car.  The new flasher hyper flashes the first 4 or 5 flashes then it slows down flashing but it still flashes a bit faster than my old 536 flasher.  The other thing is the 536 flasher didnt do that weird hyper flashing when you first turned the turnsignal on.  It would start off flashing at the rate it remained flashing at.  Its why I think these flashers I bought based off the part number may work in a '50s car but being a '62 design year it may be designed for different bulbs than what my '56 has which doesnt make much sense as I thought Ford always used 1157 bulbs for flashers.  Only other thing I could think of is for the '62 design year they changed the flasher to make it cheaper or changed the flash rate but that doesnt make sense either as my 78 Mercury with the OE flasher had a slow flash rate even slower than what my '56 has with the 536 flasher that went out on me the other day.

I have to dig out my old supersede book to see if it happens to show this part number to get the original number but I dont think it has it as my book is from the time period when this revised number came out.

I will order a couple of those 552 Wagner's to give them a try as well.  I actually got two Ideal 536 HD flashers on order NOS as well, one is a copper can like the one that I took out and the other is a silver can that is stamped "Mexico" on the plastic insulator and is obviously a newer production piece.  Going to find something that works properly and will hopefully let me know when I have a bulb burned out.  I dont want to use what I used in my other vehicles as they are all variable load flashers where they will flash the same rate no mater how many bulbs you have and Ive actually driven for probably a month not knowing a bulb was burned out cause the flasher just flashed the same regardless.  Since that incident I been switching all my flashers back to OE flashers except for vehicles that I converted to LED bulbs, those I run the variable flasher still.
By FORD DEARBORN - 4 Years Ago
Rusty, the Wagner 552 may not provide an indication of a burned out bulb. The 552 is said to flash satisfactory for 1  to   4 bulbs. That's why I can get away with LED 1157's for front turn signals. Are 'you running 2357's in place of 1157's?  The turn/brake element draws aprox. 1/2 amps more than a standard  1157.  I wouldn't think that small amount would cause hyper flashing but with some brands  of flashers,  one never knows.
FORD DEARBORN (12/27/2020)
Rusty, the Wagner 552 may not provide an indication of a burned out bulb. The 552 is said to flash satisfactory for 1  to   4 bulbs. That's why I can get away with LED 1157's for front turn signals. Are 'you running 2357's in place of 1157's?  The turn/brake element draws aprox. 1/2 amps more than a standard  1157.  I wouldn't think that small amount would cause hyper flashing but with some brands  of flashers,  one never knows.

I honestly dont think so, the bulbs that are in the car currently have been in the car for over 30 years and I dont believe the 2357 bulbs existed pre 1985.  I assume they are the standard 1157 bulbs.