Camshafts and lifters

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic152958.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By BamaBob - 4 Years Ago
I am assembling the parts to rebuild a 1957 312 y-block. I have the G heads, B intake manifold, 1.54 rocker arms, 1957 distributor, Pertronix ign., Holley 4160 600 cfm carb and the larger later model exhaust manifolds. Where I need a little help is the cam and lifters. I have narrowed it down to the Isky 301333 or the 301444 cam. Which of these would be best for a street use engine that would only need enough power to pass when needed or to get in or out of traffic quickly when the need arises. Or maybe an occasional adrenaline rush! Also, are Isky solid lifters a necessity with this cam or will other brands such as Comp Cams suffice? If any of you with knowledge and experience of these cams and lifters could help me out with this, I would sure appreciate it! Another question I should have asked: Would a stock Melling cam deliver the same or acceptable results? The reason I ask is that I already have one of those. What would you do in my place? Thanks.
By Cliff - 4 Years Ago
Don't use the Melling, the Isky E-4 is nice, the RPM 300 has a lope, I would use Isky lifters ( in case of a problem) 
By charliemccraney - 4 Years Ago
If using flat top pistons, 301444.

If using domed, 301333.

It will also come down to your own preference, to some degree.  333 is more of a hot rod cam, which should have a bit of a lope.  444 is a step up from the stock '57 cam and will have a smooth idle and a non stock sound, but not a lope.

I remember hearing about several instances of Comp lifters failing.  I would also get them from Isky.
By Dave V - 4 Years Ago
I have the exact same engine that you describe and installed an Isky E4 cam. Just love it. Loads of torque and passing power. Dave
By Ted - 4 Years Ago
You don’t mention if plans are to go with an automatic transmission or a standard.  The F-O-M automatics have a tight converter and are not happy with aggressive camshafts when sitting at a stop sign or light.  The Isky E4 cam is about as aggressive as you can tolerate with a stock automatic transmission.  I would recommend special ordering the E4 with 110° or 112° lobe centers rather than the catalogue available 108° lobe centers just to make the idle a bit more smoother with the automatic transmission.  Isky also offers the S-969 camshaft as a custom order and that camshaft is better suited for an automatic transmission application.  Ordering that camshaft with 110° or 112° lobe centers and installing at 4-6° advance would make for a nice driver with the automatic transmission.

The Iskenderian lifters are U.S.A. made and a known good quality.  They were supplied by Hy-Lift Johnson lifters the last time I asked.  As previously brought up, Comp Cams has had some known quality issues with their flat tappet camshafts with some of those issues being with the lobe tapers on their camshafts but the sales people there also have trouble identifying where their lifters come from.
By BamaBob - 4 Years Ago
Dave, do you have the Fordomatic or standard transmission? I have the FOM and forgot to state that in my original post. I was aware that would make a difference, but didn't think to include that in my description. Thanks to Ted for covering that information for me anyway. This site is the greatest!
By Dave V - 4 Years Ago
I do have a T5 5 speed OD standard Transmission. Dave
By Lord Gaga - 4 Years Ago
I bought my lifters directly from  Hy-Lift Johnson....Be sure of the source!
By PF Arcand - 4 Years Ago
You definately don't want the Melling's SYB-2 cam. Also sold as a Clevite 1210 .  Its the "down graded" post 1957 cam. Basically a 1955 or Truck cam..   
 P.S.- the above is from a Y-Block Camshafts article, some time ago by John Mummert.. 
By 2721955meteor - 4 Years Ago
have had good  luck with reground cam to 1957 312 spec,refaced lifters,full presure to rockers,(no spill tubes.hear in bc canada have had no failures and the 312 grind works greatwith auto trans.. cam with good core is 210 cn,lifters160 cnso use. so370 us would cover frt etc.both grinders are busey . but usualy 1 month
By PF Arcand - 4 Years Ago
Another U.S.A. source for the correct 1957 Cam is Oregon Cams, in Vancouver Wash. (near the Oregon border) They have an original that they can copy apparently. I believe Ted installed one for a customer a year or so ago..