Looking for Higher Ratio Rear End

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic152590.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Jack Groat - 4 Years Ago
I have a '56 Crown Vic with 292.  It used to have an automatic but now has a Mustang 5 speed with 5th gear being a 1.25:1 overdrive.  My rear ratio is probably 3.30:1 and I would like more like 3.90 or 4.10.  Any suggestions where to start hunting?  Prefer to not purchase just a ring and pinion gear since I don't know anyone who will assemble it being this old but if I can find one, I can work from there.

I found some posts here on the subject but all pretty old..
By RB - 4 Years Ago
Find a 6 cyl with overdrive car..  You realize a 9 inch or 8 inch can be a bolt in?..
No, I didn't know that I could use a 9".  That helps a lot.
By speedpro56 - 4 Years Ago
I have a 1956 Ford low mileage rear end if memory serves me right approx. 60,000 miles with a tag that says 3.89 and the car was an original stick shift with overdrive. The car was a wrecked 56 victoria of which I used for parts and I've had the rear end put up for well over 20 years. Don't think I'll ever use it and it is complete. I had another 56 Crown Victoria I was gonna use it in but it got sold the way it was years ago.  $200 for it but needs to be picked up it's too big for me to ship. It's always been kept in the dry. If interested you can call me at 828-298-2197
By RB - 4 Years Ago
Putting in a 9 inch will require some other changes.. Driveshaft yoke needs to be changed to the 1310 Spicer style. You will need the 9 inch drums and backing plates as well. Look for a 57 to 60 rear or a early Mustang Bronco or Maverick. Possibly a Granada or a Lincoln Versailles as well. Used 3.89 or 4.11 gears should not be hard to find.. A lot of 57s had 3.89s
By carl - 4 Years Ago
I have a 56 Ford station wagon rear end ,dana 44 with 4.09 gears located in Circleville ohio ,to big and heavy to ship. $150,00   Carl
By DryLakesRacer - 4 Years Ago
You could modernize with an 8.8. Ranger pickups and Explorers have them and the last F-150 with drums bolt on and are 11” like our stock Fords. Stock E-brakes only need the hole in the backing plates slightly enlarged for our cables. Most are the lower gears you want if they came out of an overdrive car. Just a thought..
By paul2748 - 4 Years Ago
The 8.8's are a nice rear, but require modifications to install in an earlier car, some which are not that easy to do.
By paul2748 - 4 Years Ago
65 and 66 Mustangs rears are pretty much a bolt in, but around a 3.90  gear is not easy  to find as a stock rear.  Although something close are available aftermarket
Paul, mine was pretty simple. Cut off all the stuff you don’t want or need. Narrowing was ez to see on the net. Drums were bolt on. A standard yoke flange was available for $50. Weld on 2 leaf spring perches and the brake lines with the stock tee.
Carl,

Is a Dana rear the same as the sedan rear...  Is it a simple bolt in replacement?  Anyplace in Ohio is not too far from me, I am 25  miles north of the Ohio border.  
By RB - 4 Years Ago
No  Station wagons and T-birds are the only ones with Danas..  Mercurys also have them but mostly 3:15 gear
By miker - 4 Years Ago
Just a couple thoughts. My bird's running a 235/60 15, 26.1" high, with a Dana 44 (from a truck originally) with 3.73's. T-5 with the 2.95 first gear and the 0.8 5th. Works good, but it's a little high in first gear on a hill. I've got an aluminum flywheel, which doesn't help, but the bird's a lighter car.

Previously I had a 4:11 rear with a 3.21 first gear (different trans). You ended up in second gear in the Safeway parking lot.

So with my ratios, I'd like to have a 3.90 or 4.11. But the gear carrier (posi, or whatever Dana called it) changes at 3.73. So that was as high as I could go without spending a lot more money. If I were starting over, I'd bite the bullet and go to the 9" or the 8.8 (more likely) than changing gears 3 times on the Dana. They are also (if you get a 45) getting hard to find some parts for.
By carl - 4 Years Ago
If you use the whole rear end it will fit.i have a station wagon rear end in my 56 crown vic with the same ratio,i have 3 speed with overdrive. The rear end i have for sale came out of a running 56 wagon   Carl 
By Vic Correnti - 4 Years Ago
For what it's worth a 58 ford 9" housing is what I put in my 55 Tbird and as I remember is was a 1/2" wider the the stock Dana and fit right in.
By 2721955meteor - 4 Years Ago
why do people miss the strong part of the y block engines,low end torque. so i say use the low end tore,stay away from low geared rear ends and radical cams. by using  a grind from 1957 mere 312 on a 292 and a 3.5 axel makes for a awesome launch. just my take. shad bolt cams in vancouver has ground several for me with excellent feed back.
I agree meteor. After I put a Cruise-O-matic behind my 292 I went to an 8.8 with a 2.74 gear and it’s perfect for how I use my car. It is not a dead player off the line and way better than starting in second with a 3.21. Yes when I had the lower rear and the 3 speed it was good but a noticeable difference at freeway speeds of 65-70 the car was quieter and just easier feeling.
These cars were built with a 55 mph speed limit for most of the country and for the most part poorer roads.
I’m long done with jackrabbit starts at 76 but can watch them with fond memories.
By Florida_Phil - 4 Years Ago
My 55 TBird has it's stock T86 3 speed O/D transmission and Dana 44 rear.   This option alone is what sold me on owning this car.   My engine is a slightly modified 1957 292.  The tag on my differential says it's a 4.11.  I"m not sure if that is correct. I am running 215/70R 15 tires all around.   As you would expect, acceleration in first gear is brisk.  Second gear and second gear overdrive are perfectly matched to this engine's torque curve.  Driving around town, you don't even need the other gears. Mid range torque is impressive in second gear.  I only use third gear out of town.  At 60 mph in third gear overdrive, my tach reads less than 2,000 rpm.  Ford's overdrive was years ahead of it's time.  I've thought about switching to a T10 or T5.  Overdrive is how my car was built and I love it the way it is. 
By PF Arcand - 4 Years Ago
Just by way of clarification.. I believe the mentioned Dana rear axle was also found in 55-56 Sedan Deliveries..
By 2721955meteor - 4 Years Ago
yes at least in canada
By Tim Quinn - 4 Years Ago
If you are still looking a rear end...3.89 or 4.11 overdrive units, call VANPET SALES in Balavia, Ohio (near Cincinnati) PH 513.724.9488.
They have all kinds of parts for trannys and rear ends.
Good Luck,
Tim
Hot 'n Humid, FL 33706
By hjh - 4 Years Ago
Jack    I have a Dana rear out of a low millage 1956 Mercury with O.D. that I drove and it worked as it should  teeth count is 45/11 =4.09  ratio    $175.00  Call Harry Hutten Jr. 513-868-3311 located in S W Ohio
By cokefirst - 4 Years Ago
The pre 1957 Ford pickups also used the Dana 44 axle.  
By carl - 4 Years Ago
hjh (7/22/2020)
Jack    I have a Dana rear out of a low millage 1956 Mercury with O.D. that I drove and it worked as it should  teeth count is 45/11 =4.09  ratio    $175.00  Call Harry Hutten Jr. 513-868-3311 located in S W Ohio
The shock brackets are different on the Mercury rear end and also wheels are different bolt pattern  Carl   

I'm going to close this whole subject out.  I got the car running and took it out for a drive for the first time since I swapped the transmission to a Mustang 5 speed w/overdrive.  The engine turns 2700 rpm at 70 mph which is just about perfect.  Apparently I have a 3.55 rear end.  Thought I had a 3.31.  So no need for a different rear end.  Thanks for all the replies.