Ballast Resistor 1956 F600 272

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic152436.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Bogner24 - 4 Years Ago
Guys,

I've been reading my manual. Watch out!

It so happens that I found the old ballast resistor....in the glove box. Looks to me as though my predecessors removed it. Possibly when they replaced the coil? Hard to say. Truck runs and idles great. I've read several threads and attempts to explain what the resistor contributes to the ignition system and I'm still a little lost. As I mentioned before, I used to work on old tractors and they all had them and I remember having bought them at Napa and replacing them.

So, what gives? I don't see one installed anywhere including a wire type resistor in line. I've got 12v everywhere so I'm pretty sure I don't have one. What's my downside of not having one, if in fact I don't?
By oldcarmark - 4 Years Ago
Does it have Points or converted to  electronic Pertronix?

By Tedster - 4 Years Ago
The Primary or low voltage part of the ignition in a points & condenser system was limited to around 3 amperes while engine running, in order to prevent the points from burning up. The ballast resistor was bypassed during starting, to provide a hotter spark, presumably an aid in cold weather. Ignition coils are available with a range of different ohm ratings in the primary coil winding depending on application.

Problems start when the wrong assemblage of components are used together that aren't designed to work together. Either too much, or too little, voltage/current in the primary circuit of either a points or electronic system will get your attention one way or another.
By Bogner24 - 4 Years Ago
It has (brand new) points.

I understand now. Potential to burn points. That makes sense to me. I'll go over it with a meter one more time then pick up a resistor if needed. Those points are kind of a pain in the butt to replace.
By paul2748 - 4 Years Ago
It also can burn out the coil

Make sure the coil does not have an internal resistor.  Some are marked if they do.