Hello EveryoneI

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic152312.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Bogner24 - 4 Years Ago
Hi everybody. Aaron here. My 16yr old son and I went and got a 56 F600 Friday. 272 with holley 2bbl. Changed the points, condenser, and a few other essentials, poured some gas in the carb and she took right off. Oil is perfectly clean. Going to get the fuel system cleaned out, see if she'll hold water and see what happens. Its a 4 spd synchro with a split rear. 17000GVW. 

Glad to have found you all here!
By paul2748 - 4 Years Ago
Welcome
By Ted - 4 Years Ago
Welcome to the site.
By MoonShadow - 4 Years Ago
Welcome aboard. Sounds like an interesting truck. Please post some pictures.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8e518a7d-39c3-418e-852f-3dd1.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ae6a0f19-25fd-49ca-aa68-570e.jpg
The body is remarkably sound. Very little rust. Frame is not twisted. 51,xxx miles. Probably 85-90% complete. Someone put a sticker on the dash that said 7500lb tare and 31,750 loaded! WHAAATTTT? Heavy! The kid and I will spend some time cleaning all the fuel system out and getting all the hoses and the belt replaced. See if we can get it to run consistently and warmed up. So far just a few seconds running on a bowl full of fuel, but it didn't knock and the valvetrain sounded good from what I could hear in that short of time and over the super loud fan. 

Once it's running right we'll see about the clutch and trans. Looks like a rear main leak, no idea on trans/clutch situation. Going to try to hold off on any 'real money' until we know what all is needed. Gonna be fun! I'm sure I'll have tech questions for you all. 
By MplsMike - 4 Years Ago
What’s the plan for the truck, Bogner? How are you going to use it? Work, fun or both?
Maybe a little of both? I do contractor work. Remodeling and such. Some woodwork. Maybe put some tool boxes on a flatbed? Hard to say. Probably just roll around in the beast once in a while, hit up some car shows with my friend who has a '36 Ford sedan with a flathead. Mostly it's something for my son and I to work on to help him learn how to work on things without computers. 
By MoonShadow - 4 Years Ago
Nice looking truck. And it runs and drives that's even better. 
By Daniel Jessup - 4 Years Ago
Nice truck! It has great bones. Welcome to the site by the way. If you like build threads or websites, check out my www.hotrodreverend.com/blog sometime. My son and I have had a wonderful time with our project!
I'll check it out, Daniel.

We cleaned the fuel system out tonight. Replaced some hoses, put her on an IV drip and shee fired up perfectly, got the fuel pump filled up, removed IV and thew thing starts and runs like a top. Idles perfectly! No knocks. We do have a radiator leak which probably explains why she was parked 15 yrs ago. Will get that pulled and repaired or replaced soon. It goes forward and backward, too! Only 10 feet both ways but it moves! IT'S ALIVE!

Question for you experts: how much "smoke" or vapor is normal from the breather and or oil filler cap? I'm thinking it's moisture from sitting but not sure. We only ran it probably 5-7 minutes so it was warm but not hot.
By Ted - 4 Years Ago
The rings may be sticking causing some of the blow by.  Fifteen years of sitting would be the cause for that but continued running at temperature will help on that assuming the engine is simply not just well worn.  If it’s moisture causing the blow by, you have bigger problems but if that’s the case, you should see that moisture on the oil dipstick above the oil level line after running the engine.  If no moisture is present, this would be a good time to change the oil if it’s crude oul ‘black’.