Value of a Y block Engine

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic151869.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By CobraKY - 4 Years Ago
Just trying to determine the value of this 292 Y Block engine that is in a 1955 Fairlane. Manual Transmission, BW with R 11 Overdrive 
Specifics:
9,480 miles since professional rebuild, 2011
292 Block, running oil psi, 50-60 
312 heads, with all new seats, bronze valve guides, milled, have receipt, 920.00 in head work.
Edelbrock 1405, 600 CFM Carb, manual choke
Aluminum Intake, ,IM 312-4 V , Blue Thunder
Mallory Unilite Electronic Dist, with conversion kit and Pro Master Coil
Chrome Valve Covers
Valley Cover with breather box, John Mummert
Power Master, Chrome Alternator, 100 AMP
Power Master, Mini High Torque Starter, under 300 miles on it
Cam , Y-272S CSE 272-224-108-440", new lifters, push rods, looks like a complete kit from John Mummert Y Block in CA.
The engine pulls really good, never a wiff of smoke from the exhaust pipes on start up or acceleration . 
I drove the car to KY from Winchester, VA. 475 miles , no issues, so its a solid engine.
Don't have a clue when it comes to Y Block engine prices and values, I am an FE guy and have some SBF knowledge.
Reason I am asking, going to pull this engine and replace it , going a different direction on the build. Don't need any advise in that area, Not my first Rodeo.
Like to find a potential buyer and let them drive the car, hear the engine run, check it out before I pull the engine.

Only issue I have found is that the rear main seal leaks and the pan gasket needs to be replaced.

Be glad to answer any questions and would appreciate any information I can get. I am located in the Louisville, KY  area.

By Florida_Phil - 4 Years Ago
Value?  Expensive if you want to buy.  Cheap if you are selling.  Seriously, Y Blocks engines are not rare by any means.  It probably cost $4,000 or more to rebuild one like you have.   If you can find someone who needs an engine, I would think you could ask $2K for it.  You might get $1,500.  I paid $400 for a complete running 1957 Ford YBlock and trans with 40K miles on it.   It had "G" heads, high ratio rockers and the good distributor.  Those parts alone are worth $300-$400.  The hard part these days is finding someone with money to spend on an engine. The O/D transmission is worth $500 in good condition.  You might make more money by selling the parts separately.
By CobraKY - 4 Years Ago
Thank you for your candid input on the subject.
Its all about finding the buyer that wants what you have for sale that is close enough and has the ability to pick up a complete engine.
This environment we are presently in doesn't help either.
You and I both know that paying 400.00 for a complete running 1957 Y Block with 40,000 miles on it not the norm, you stole the engine at that price. Really cant use that for a reference price.

The transmission is not up for sale right now as I have a potential buyer for the working T85 w/ R 11 Overdrive, if it goes through I will more than double the 500.00 suggested asking price.
By CobraKY - 4 Years Ago
Thank you for your candid input on the subject.
Its all about finding the buyer that wants what you have for sale that is close enough and has the ability to pick up a complete engine.
This environment we are presently in doesn't help either.
You and I both know that paying 400.00 for a complete running 1957 Y Block with 40,000 miles on it not the norm, you stole the engine at that price. Really cant use that for a reference price.

The transmission is not up for sale right now as I have a potential buyer for the working T85 w/ R 11 Overdrive, if it goes through I will more than double the 500.00 suggested asking price.
By Joe-JDC - 4 Years Ago
Just had a neighbor sell a fresh 292 with automatic transmission, complete, running.  Decided to go with a SBF, and sold the whole assembly for $900.00 in San Antonio, TX.   Joe-JDC
By Florida_Phil - 4 Years Ago
Here in the south, we probably have more of these engines laying around than most other places in the country.  A friend of mine has a complete 312 out of a Mercury for sale.  I believe it could be bought for $500-$600.  The most common Y-Block I find is a 272.   I believe you would net more money from your engine by parting it out.  A working T85 with an R-11 overdrive is not your average transmission.   The more common T86 R10 is not worth as much.  The Blue Thunder manifold has value, so do the heads and rockers.  You have some nice parts.   If your engine was mine, I would sell it on EBay one part at a time.
By PF Arcand - 4 Years Ago
CobraKY: I agree with U that the estimate given is substantially low! (assuming the info on the engine is accurate) And do you really want to go thru all the hassle to dismantle & sale it?.. On the other hand, converting your 55 Fairlane to something else, doesn't please people on this site like me, but it's your call..  Please, hopefully not an SBC ! 
Joe JDC; Too bad your neighour made  2 mistakes.. Selling a good Y-block & definately converting to a SBF., especially if it's a std 289-302. The costs & labour to do it won't be worth it..      ( I've edited my original post)