Spark Plug Wires

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic151218.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By customline3859 - 4 Years Ago
Is there a set of performance spark plug wires that are the correct length right out of the box? I ordered a set of Pertronix wires a while back, but they're designed to route over the valve covers, which looks terrible. I don't mind getting a universal set and cutting them to fit, just wanted to see what you guys have been doing. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

By FORD DEARBORN - 4 Years Ago
There probably are several custom made spark plug wire sets for the Y-block. You should be able to find what you wand from "Magnacore" - not sure of spelling. They are of excellent quality but a little pricey. Have a set on my truck for going on 10 years and they are as flexible as the day they were installed and fit perfect out of the box.  Hope this helps, JEFF...............
By Florida_Phil - 4 Years Ago
You can buy a preformed set of YBlock specific wires from Casco, NPD or Larry's TBird parts.  If you want to install them right, buy all the correct hangers and place the wires under the exhaust headers.  It's not easy, but not that hard either. 
By Cliff - 4 Years Ago
Wires for a 60's sbc will fit
By Rono - 4 Years Ago
It may not be for everyone, but I really like the 8mm silicone Taylor wires. Yes, you have to cut them to the length you want and install the boots with the proper tool, but they perform great and come in all kinds of colors. Because they can handle the heat, you can get rid of the plug wire heat shields which, in my opinion, are a pain to work around and can cut your hands to shreds if your not careful.
By charliemccraney - 4 Years Ago
I've ordered wires from Performance Distributors but I don't know if they save the engine and length specs.  They're also 10 or 12mm wires, so will not fit stock brackets.
By 62bigwindow - 4 Years Ago
Magnecor. I have a set on my engine. The fit and quality is excellent.
By paul2748 - 4 Years Ago
I have Taylor wires (universal sets) on two of my cars for any years w/o any problems 8mm' -they are hard to get threw the stock brackets.

By Tedster - 4 Years Ago
I wouldn't necessarily call them "performance" wires, and I don't know the stock # offhand, but Motorcraft makes a set of carbon core resistance wires that fits the Y-block looms perfectly. Sometimes we overthink things a little bit maybe. They work fine, in any case.
By ErnieL - 4 Years Ago
Installing wires correctly in a 55-56 Ford V8 with the engine in the car is not a fun job. Matter of fact, you almost need to be an octopus with eyes on its tentacles to do it at all.

To me it’s one of the most miserable jobs I’ve ever done. Ever.
But if it needs doing, it’s gotta get done. I’m expecting to have to do it this winter and I’m not looking forward to it at all.