Not Y but need info on flathead

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic150841.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Town Vicky - 4 Years Ago
I am trying to put a 53 Flathead into a 1946 Ford but need adapter to use 46 trans is their such a thing?
the Ford Barn was no help
By Gene Purser - 4 Years Ago
i can't imagine the Ford Barn not helping. I'm on the early V8 site several times a day and haven't seen your request. Where did you post it? You need the bell housing from a 8BA truck engine to a four speed truck trans OR a housing from a '49-'50 mercury. Be sure to get the starter plate. 
By paul2748 - 4 Years Ago
You need a bell out of a 49-50 Mercury to mate the two together.  I am quite quite sure you need the matching starter plate

Image result for 1950 Mercury bell housing
By slumlord444 - 4 Years Ago
Sounds neat but my first thought would be an adapter and a modern 5 speed. Just saying.
He specified a 53 engine with a 46 trans

slumlord444 (3/17/2020)
Sounds neat but my first thought would be an adapter and a modern 5 speed. Just saying.

By Hoosier Hurricane - 4 Years Ago
Town Vicky, I seem to remember you need truck water pumps for a bolt-in installation .
By Town Vicky - 4 Years Ago
Thank You for all the info this is for a shop that think just because I am an old mech I remember all of this, The owner of the car want to keep the 46 trans I think the later 5 speed would be my choice it may come to that
Town Vicky
After he blows up the second trans he will think more about the 5 speed.

Town Vicky (3/18/2020)
Thank You for all the info this is for a shop that think just because I am an old mech I remember all of this, The owner of the car want to keep the 46 trans I think the later 5 speed would be my choice it may come to that
Town Vicky

By slumlord444 - 4 Years Ago
Nothing wrong with runing the period parts. Personal choice. I ran  a Borg Warner T85 Overdrive in my T Bird for many years. Had fun with it and liked it but the large input toploader I have in it now is a lot more fun to drive. Wish I would done it back in the '60's.
By Talkwrench - 4 Years Ago
Putting a 5 speed in is a lot of work , chassis will need to be modified, splitting the bones is common, the torque tube needs to be replaced and an "open kit" kit fitted to the diff for it, again rear needs to be split . You can still keep the torque tube but its big work.