Newer radiators that will fit a 55 or 56

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic150667.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By junkyardjeff - 4 Years Ago
I am wanting a cooler in the radiator so I do not get the C-4 too hot again,a couple years ago I looked at a 55 that was for sale that had a 60s radiator in it and it looked like it bolted up so I was wondering if anyone knows what newer radiator will bolt in.  My 55 has a stand alone cooler that was mounted on the radiator that got debris between it and the radiator that I think was the cause of the heating issue but has been moved away and replaced with a larger cooler but want to have both now,I had to tow it back from Florida and do not want to do that again.
By Ted - 4 Years Ago
I have a Champion radiator in my 55 Customline.  It was a bolt in and has been trouble free for the four years it’s been in the car.  While that radiator does have the automatic transmission cooler option built into it, I didn’t need to hook that up as my car is a standard shift.
By MoonShadow - 4 Years Ago
A quick search of EBAY brings up several different brands and prices for aluminum radiators to fit our cars. I have one on my 56 with the supercharger and it has worked great for several years. I believe it is also a Champion but the car is in storage now. 
By DryLakesRacer - 4 Years Ago
I bought a US Radiator the one next to the highest rated with a AT tank inside for my 56. It has a later transmission. I have the bypass blocked with a 1/8" hole, a 170* thermostat, a 6 blade fan, a Mustang water pump pulley which is 1" smaller, and a plastic radiator shroud from a company in Texas. The shroud has about 1/4 or less of it not used at the bottom for the trans line clearance.(my choice) I do not have any heating problems anymore. The AT tank "cooler" is also a a heater to help the trans warm up when the engine/car is first starting out. If your having a trans cooling problem it may need an additional cooler in front of the radiator or no "heater" in the lower radiator tank. I needed to do this many years ago on a truck with a cabover camper. good luck
I am using the original radiator and stuck a cooler on the front of it and a bunch of debris got caught between the radiator and cooler so it go hot while I was in Florida and lost third gear,the 55 I looked at looked to had a Mustang or a mid 60s Fairlane radiator and it looked to have 
bolted in. This time I want a cooler in the radiator and will use a aux cooler too,I always was worried that something would blow up from the road and block the cooler and that is kind of what happened so no more just a cooler in front of the radiator or just use a manual trans.
By paul2748 - 4 Years Ago
I've used an inline cooler mounted on the X frame of my Bird and 48.  Both with C-4's.  Haven't had a problem with either of the trans.  The Bird has been on a cross country trip in the middle of summer, while the one on the 48 has been on for 20 something years and has a lot of miles on it.  All summer driving..
By 62bigwindow - 4 Years Ago
I put a Champion radiator in my 56. Been in there for over 3 years with no issues. I run a 190° thermostat and in 100° summer days my car never gets over 190°-195°.
By Florida_Phil - 4 Years Ago
My Tbird has a $200 Champion aluminum radiator and an electric fan.  I live in Central Florida where the traffic is heavy at best.  You can not make my car overheat even in August.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2a6da38a-bb6d-449c-9a8e-7cd2.jpg

I did some looking and I think a 70 Mustang radiator should work and now to find someone who actually has one that I can get some measurements off of it before ordering one,I will use it while it still has the 351 in it and when the 272 goes in I am going to spend the money on a original looking 56 radiator with a cooler.