OIl Breather Cap

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic150422.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By customline3859 - 4 Years Ago
Good afternoon, all. I have run into a fitment issue and I am hoping for some assistance. I have installed Mummert's aluminum valley cover and Spotlite Kustom Accessories valve covers, but the oil filler tube is basically the same height as the valve cover, so I'm having trouble installing a breather cap. Can the oil filler tube be replaced for a longer one? Is there possibly a smaller breather cap that can be purchased? I can provide pictures of what I've got going on if need be. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David
By Ted - 4 Years Ago
Having installed the Mummert valley covers on the Y engines, I don’t recall any clearance issues with the oil breather caps.  Without looking at a Mummert valley cover on an engine, I’m going to say that you possibly just need a smaller diameter oil cap.
By PF Arcand - 4 Years Ago
If you have to go to a small cap.. keep in mind that on a stock engine, that is the only air intake for the crankcase breather setup. The filter material needs to be checked & serviced regularly or it will plug up & the engines crankcase breather setup will not work..leading to slugg buildup etc.   
By emtdude56 - 4 Years Ago
I also have one of johns valley cover the problem I am having is the filler tube is slightly larger than the stock  
one having a hard time finding a breather that fits any info would be helpful thanks 
By paul2748 - 4 Years Ago
Doesn't John recommend a certain cap for his valley covers?  I have one of his covers and thought I got my cap based on his recommendation.  Here it is

ManufacturerSourcePart numberHose fitting?Finish
Mr GasketJegs720-2060No 
CP 70150No 
Stant 10061NoCad
Stant 10070YesCad
Spectre 4280NoChrome

I've ordered the Spectre #4280. I will keep you posted if that works. 
By Lord Gaga - 4 Years Ago
Remember the old saying; "Chrome won't  get ya home"!
By MoonShadow - 4 Years Ago
I've been using a cap like this one on my Vicky for years. I like the shield that prevents airflow from entering the tube. They are available from most of the regular makers. I think I bought mine off the wall at O'reillys.

Spectre Performance Chrome Push-On Breathers 4278
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/80225943-2aa0-469b-8551-538b.jpg 
The 4280 worked. No clearance issues.
Hey Moonshadow;  Obviously I'm missing something here.. Why would you want to prevent air going into the filtered oil cap ?  Does your engine have another source for crankcase ventilation?.. Or ?
By MoonShadow - 4 Years Ago
Being an open faced filter I'm assuming at speed it could cause air to be forced into the crankcase. Other than that I just liked it better than the one without it. The shield only blocks the front of the filter the rest is open. I am also running a PCV valve and no lower crankcase breather.

I asked & you answered, thanks.. actually I'm running somewhat the same setup, only my intake oil cap is a std large filtered Autolite cap & also with a PCV setup. It has been suggested here that the filtering of that cap may be marginal, but I don't  drive the car in bad conditions (dust etc). So, I'm going with it as is.. So far it seems to be working well. 
N.B.- late correction;  I described the above cap as being an Autolite..the labels off it, but I believe that should have read "Motorcraft".