clearcoat spray

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic150347.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Bobby O 55 - 4 Years Ago
           I just had a pair of T- Bird valve covers buffed. Is it a good idea to spray them with a clear coat spray? If so what name brand? Thank you.
By Joe-JDC - 4 Years Ago
I haven't found a clear coat that will not turn color over time, especially on polished aluminum.  I would just use Mothers aluminum polish, and buff them lightly with a soft cloth to keep them shiny looking.  I recently did a clear coat, and hated it almost instantly.  Some of the powder coating is supposed to work, but after my experience, I don't trust it.  Joe-JDC
By Rono - 4 Years Ago
Eastwood Company has a clear coat spray that I have used with good results (so far). However, there used to be a product called Zoops Seal that actually penetrated the bare aluminum that really worked well. Zoops Seal is now Shine Seal (shineseal.com) This is a 3 part kit that I purchased and used on my blower. Really works well but it's not cheap. A little goes a long way! 
By Florida_Phil - 4 Years Ago
I was recently turned on to a metal polish that I like better than Mothers.   Mothers is great, but this stuff is amazing.  It's called White Diamond Metal Polish. I was told about it by another car guy.  I found it at the local auto parts store.  It works on everything.
By charliemccraney - 4 Years Ago
I also would not clear coat because of the yellowing.  Also, many typical automotive chemicals which are under the hood can blemish or remove the clear coat, making it look that much worse.
By paul2748 - 4 Years Ago
Who did the polishing and can you post a picture? 

Bobby O 55 (2/14/2020)
           I just had a pair of T- Bird valve covers buffed. Is it a good idea to spray them with a clear coat spray? If so what name brand? Thank you.

By Lord Gaga - 4 Years Ago
IMRON clear will not yellow.
By tjaybo52 - 4 Years Ago
where the hell can you by Imron. I think it has been 20 years since I could get it here ....in Cali
By Joe-JDC - 4 Years Ago
Most every paint claims they will not yellow, but I have yet to see one that didn't on a hot aluminum valve cover or intake manifold.  Just saying.  Joe-JDC
By Lord Gaga - 4 Years Ago
I believe it's now made by AXALTA. It's possible that any good brand of polyurethane clear won't yellow.

tjaybo52 (2/15/2020)
where the hell can you by Imron. I think it has been 20 years since I could get it here ....in Cali

By Cliff - 4 Years Ago
Sharkhide! it's all over my race car.