Rear Seal

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic149271.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 55 GLASS TOP - 5 Years Ago
Hello just wondering everyone’s opinion on real seal installation I have look at all the post from the past and plan on using the neoprene seal. I vaguely remember someone using “Permatex Right Stuff  for the side seals just looking for some feedback.thanks in advance
By miker - 5 Years Ago
I followed Ted instructions both on a replacement in my 292 block and with replacing the failed "orange" seal with the black neoprene one in my 312. Worked fine both times.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2008/09/10/neoprene-rear-seal-installation-for-the-y-and-others/
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
Here is the link to a recent thrad that gives some more information that supplements what is posted on my website.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost145797.aspx 

By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
55 GLASS TOP (11/29/2019)
Hello just wondering everyone’s opinion on real seal installation I have look at all the post from the past and plan on using the neoprene seal. I vaguely remember someone using “Permatex Right Stuff  for the side seals just looking for some feedback.thanks in advance

I used the "Right Stuff" instead of side Seals. No Leaks after driving it all Summer. I did have the Motor on Engine Stand which makes it much easier than "on the Car". Others have done it on the Car using "The right Stuff" however. I read somewhere that the majority of Main Seal Leaks are in fact caused by Side Seals not the actual Seal itself.
By 2721955meteor - 4 Years Ago
agree with glass top.i find the oil pan the big leaker,i made a plate for rear of pan,i silver soldered washers to pan side of the plate. i can now say no leaks,plus i kept the rear seal flush to retainer with dab of perimeter. no puddles 
By Florida_Phil - 4 Years Ago
In fifty years, I have never seen a YBlock that didn't eventually leak some oil.   I have not seen them all.  I used Ted's rear seal installation method on my motor and it worked great.  These engines are notorious leakers and they don't all leak from the rear seal.  My engine leaked from the oil pump, the valve covers and the oil pan.  The transmission leaked too.  At the moment, I have it down to a few drops every few days.  Somewhere in my car a leak is about to start, it's only a matter of time.  YBlocks and oil leaks go together like chips and salsa.

I love my YBLock.  Every time I lift the hood it takes me back to the 1957 Ford Custom I drove my wife in to the prom in 1964.  When I hear the engine, it transports me back in time to crawling under my car to undo the exhaust dumps at the midnight races.  The Yblock was Ford's first attempt at an overhead valve V8.  We raced them as kids because they were the cheap.  For many of us, they were our first hot rods.  All it's faults were corrected in later engines which lead up to Ford's Leman's victories.  No US car maker has ever duplicated that feat.  A little oil under my car is the price I pay for all those memories. It's worth the cost. Smile