Ford vs. Ferrari

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic149231.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
We went to see the Ford vs. Ferrari movie yesterday.  It's great,  Matt Damon and Christian Bale did a great job as Shelby and Ken Miles,  Fantastic race scenes and sounds.  It's a car guy must see.  Ford guys will want to see it twice.
By suede57ford - 5 Years Ago
The movie is great!   We went as a family the other night.

By FORD DEARBORN - 5 Years Ago
Great, glad to hear it showed the great things Ford accomplished in winning this race multiple times. Ford fans should see it twice? I'll see it maybe 3X. Thanks for this good review, it made my day.  JEFF..........
By miker - 5 Years Ago
One of my car buddies and our wives saw it Saturday. Pretty entertaining, seems pretty accurate. I see maybe 1 movie a year and I enjoyed it. Even the ladies liked it (they got dinner afterwards, so that might have influenced them). I'd recommend it.
There are a few Car Guy "must see" movies.  Ford vs. Ferrari is one of them.  Back in the day when Thunder Road played at the local drive in, we all went to see it.  I must have seen that movie at least 50 times by now and know most of the words before they are spoken.  Long live Robert Mitchum. He wrote that movie, directed it, stared in it and even wrote and sang the theme song.  I built this car in remembrance of that movie.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2b72e32f-71fc-4e88-82e8-febe.jpg
By slumlord444 - 5 Years Ago
Some people have complained about technical errors in the movie but I thought it was great. Don't care for Mat Damion's politics but thought he was good in the movie. It's now on my list of favorite movies. Thunder Road has been there forever. Never liked Mitchum's girl friend in that one but the movie as a whole is a real clasic.
By PF Arcand - 5 Years Ago
Haven't seen it yet, (seldom go to any movies) A woman reviewer on local T.V. gave it a descent review, although another guy gave it a C- . Most car movies are really crap, so it's likely worth seeing.  Need to keep in mind that it's Hollywood, it's not a documentary!. I've read 2 books that cover the subject.. Thunder Road was somewhat of a low budget classic, although as mentioned here, Mitchum's budget must have been really tight, when he selected  that Jazz singer to play the girl friend...          
Movie's are made to sell tickets.  I doubt "The Deuce" ever sat in a GT40, much less cried in one.  That said, the movie was great.  Lots of action without CGI. It never became dull or repetitive and it didn't get hung up on side plots.  If you don't like this movie, you don't like cars.  Actors should stick to acting and stay out of politics.  Why do you want to piss off half of your customers just so you can look like you have something significant to say?   They should keep their opinions to themselves.
By Lord Gaga - 5 Years Ago
Phil. Love your '57 Custom! Flame Red? Very tasty. What is the drive train?
 I agree with you about Bob Mitchum, He puts John Wayne and other so called tough guy actors away when it comes to real talent. When it comes to Thunder Road; That six cylinder engine sound in some scenes bugs me! That's the fault of the editor, happens in many movies. Wish there would have been more mechanical-type stuff, other that that it is a great film!  Do you know what engine was in that Shoebox Ford?? And that '57 should have been an F CODE!!!!!!

I will be going to see  Ford vs. Ferrari.

Florida_Phil (11/27/2019)
There are a few Car Guy "must see" movies.  Ford vs. Ferrari is one of them.  Back in the day when Thunder Road played at the local drive in, we all went to see it.  I must have seen that movie at least 50 times by now and know most of the words before they are spoken.  Long live Robert Mitchum. He wrote that movie, directed it, stared in it and even wrote and sang the theme song.  I built this car in remembrance of that movie.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2b72e32f-71fc-4e88-82e8-febe.jpg

I built this 57 Custom Business Coupe about 10 years ago.  I bought it from Randy Conner in Wisconsin.  He had more 57 Fords than anyone I have ever known.  It was his daily driver.  Here's a photo when I first hauled it home.   It had a Y-Block with a T85 in it when I bought it.  I swapped in a 390 with CJ heads, CJ carb & intake, Holman and Moody 427 cam, a T-10 and a 3.89 locker. I used FPA headers.   It also had disk brakes.  It was scary fast. I sold it to fund my next project.  The rule in my house is one car at a time. 

I don't think they ever showed the engine in any of the Thunder Road 57 Fords.  If you look real close they do show the engine in the 49 Ford that exploded.  I froze the frame once and it looks like a Y-Block with three deuces.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/56d76159-f306-4d03-a04a-2aa3.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/08bc76c3-8424-4107-b2fb-33fd.jpg
By Sandbird - 5 Years Ago
Don't forget the movie Grand Prix starring James Garner and appearances made by many race car drivers. A car load of us from High School went to a theater that was  set up to show it in Cinerama. It was a long movie and we stayed busy looking right and left watching the races and the sound followed the cars around the room. Only movie I ever saw set up like that. I think it was 1966.
I'll have to chime in with Gaga:  Fore sure the best '57 car in the day and this one beautifully built to perfection. I love how that 57 turned out even though I would have kept the Y-block.  A good Thanks Giving day to all.....................
By MoonShadow - 5 Years Ago
I saw Gran Prix at one of the first theaters with the semi reclining seats. Loved the black start up screen then the engine sound. We were in the second row center with wrap around screen. In the rain racing scenes I kept pulling my right foot up trying to lift off the gas! Very realistic for the time.
By slumlord444 - 5 Years Ago
I thought the engine in the shoebox Ford was an early Olds with tri power. Had studs sticking through the valve covers but I didn't think it was a Y Block. I stop and rewind that scene every time I watch it and still am not sure.
slumlord444 (11/28/2019)
I thought the engine in the shoebox Ford was an early Olds with tri power. Had studs sticking through the valve covers but I didn't think it was a Y Block. I stop and rewind that scene every time I watch it and still am not sure.

It's very hard to tell.  Being a 49 Ford, you may be right.  The engine definitely has tri power.  My favorite scene is at the dance where the man says "You can hear him coming by the sound of his pipes."   Whenever that movie would run at the local drive in, the movie lot would be full of wannabe moon shine runners.

All my friends drove 55-57 Fords.  You could buy a decent one for $100-$200.  They were our first hot rods.  We would swap engines using a big oak tree in my parents back yard.  My Dad tolerated this because he knew where we were.  At night we would all gather at the local Pizza joint.  It was exactly like the movie American Graffiti. Whenever I look at my YBlock, I remember those nights.  I also remember the times I had to work to get my car running so I could go to work the next day.  We didn't have much money back then, but we did it all ourselves. 

By Lord Gaga - 5 Years Ago
Thanks for the info, Phil. To me the only other engine 'allowed' in a '55-57 is an FE...No small blocks! Nice car!
You and I are the same age with similar experiences. Although I had a few GM drivers in my group. One friend dropped a 427 in his '55 Ford 2 door. He had to use '58 exhaust manifolds to clear the steering box, very restrictive but it was still a pretty fast car! Is that what you did? 
There was a scene in Thunder Road that showed that '57 Fairlane 500 (2 door post?) with the hood up and it had a normal stock V8 air cleaner...you'd think any successful 'shine runner would have ordered an E or F code engine! The director should have left the hood down. It is a great film, but those six cylinder engine sounds in some scenes almost ruin it for me!  Maybe I'm being to critical? Hasn't anybody else noticed that?

Small blocks are great engines. For some reason, they just don't seem right in a 57 Ford.  I hate seeing them in an early TBird.   If you compare a Y-Block with an FE you will see many similarities.  The Y-Block was a great engine in it's day. The FE was better. When I grew up in the sixties, 406s and 427s were in everything from 54 Fords to Mustangs. All the cool guys had them.   I saw many 427 cars back then.  Toward the end, I built a stroker 427 side oiler out of NOS parts and ran it in a 66 Fairlane drag car that I drove on the street.  Here's some old pics below.  This car was a beast.  It wasted many scrubrolets.

Cast 390 exhaust manifolds are too restrictive.  I always tried to use stock 406/427 cast iron Hipo exhaust manifolds.  They wouldn't fit in a 57 Ford as the tubes came out right in front of the cross member.  My 57 Ford had tube headers.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3acee7b4-19ed-4b21-8349-9c78.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9b935a78-34de-4030-8e7c-2070.jpg
Lord Ggaga,  as a kid I walked out of the theater in the day wondering how Hollywood could have gotten the sound effects so wrong in that movie. Everyone thought I was, well, too picky. Saw a rerun once or twice but never gave it another thought until now.         Also, that '66 Fairlane is outstanding,  like, really like the attention to brand detail.
To tell you the truth, I didn't notice the sound.  Those old movies with the painted backgrounds were not very realistic.  "White Lightning" was a much better moon shine running movie.   Bert's 1971 Galaxie was cool. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/73b4d5a7-0c38-43ef-8925-96b7.jpg
By miker - 5 Years Ago
Even though I was driving old Detroit iron, I was pretty interested in Formula One, and the sports car racing in those days. Especially in Grand Prix where actual drivers had cameo appearances it struck me in later years how many died racing. Same with Rush, and Ford vs Ferrari, where they mentioned by name only. Those were very dangerous years in all kinds of racing.