Major failure with B/W overdrive

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic149098.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Tim Quinn - 5 Years Ago
After trial and error with the O/D, I discovered a wiring problem and decided to re-wire the whole system. I'm using a toggle switch.
 #1:Ran a brand new wire from the coil to the orange wire on the solenoid 
#2: Ran a brand new wire from the top terminal to the other solenoid wire
#3: Ran another new wire from bottom of terminal to the governor
ROAD TEST: Get to 35 mph, click on toggle switch, car runs good, let off gas AND
MAJOR FAILURE !!! ENGINE DIES !!! NO POWER !!! NO OVERDRIVE !!!
Turn off toggle switch, put in neutral and magically the engine is running again ?
What did I do WRONG ??????
Who can I talk to, face to face ?
Tim
Frustrated, Fl 33706
By 9310alloy - 5 Years Ago
Tim

Not sure of your wiring diagram or parts used or delegated..???

Not a fan of toggle switch control. The factory original control is foolproof in my opinion.

Original wiring.  When you energize your solenoid thru the governor & relay circuit the plunger extends but not all the way. You need to lift off the throttle & unload the driveline which causes the bulk ring with notches to rotate and when the notch lines up the solenoid plunger will extend all the way out. With the plunger all extended the solenoid ground out contact (orange wire) closes inside solenoid. Orange wire than goes thru your kick down switch normally open contact than to the coil point side. To engage or disengage the overdrive you need to unload the drive line. The kick down switch when fully depressed removes solenoid power and shorts out ignition to unload driveline so the solenoid plunger can retract. 
The solenoid plunger fully extended locks the bulk ring & sun gear which forces planetary gear to rotate which is overdrive.

Your wiring when your solenoid is fully extended & no kick down switch circuit your orange wire will short out ignition and will stay shorted till solenoid plunger retracts & opens ground out circuit.

Mike

Mike,
You got that correct, the ignition shuts down.
But, before I re-wired the system, I drove over 2,700 miles to Michigan and back to Florida with no problems with the OD using a toggle switch.
But, when I returned,there was a problem with the input shaft and other items, had 'em fixed.
Now, listen to this: I reversed the wires on the solenoid...............it goes into OD and won't come out this is not good.
The kick down switch was not functional, it was just hanging down from the relay switch and that is why a toggle switch was installed
Can you come up with any way the OD will work in it's present state ?
Should I bypass the coil and connect to an other source ?
Thanks for your thoughts,
Tim
Florida

By Gene Purser - 5 Years Ago
If you aren't using a kickdown switch the wire to the coil is useless. All that is needed is a power wire through a fuse and your switch to the power wire to the solenoid.  As you were wired, the solenoid shorted your ignition through your orange wire. Disconnect the wire from the coil. 
BIB, BIG THANKS!!!!
I thought about that and now with your advice, I'll do just that.
Thankful Tim,
Florida

I just re-read your original post. Are you referring to the toggle switch when you say top post and bottom post? If so, you have your governor connected to the soleniod, which is incorrect. If you are removing the kickdown switch, the governor wire should go straight to the THSW post on the relay. The Solenoid should be wired directly to the SOL post on the relay. As you have it now, the solenoid is grounding out your ignition and the wire should be removed from the  coil. You don't need a toggle switch unless you want to use it to disconnect the OD for passing, etc. If you use a toggle, it should be wired between the governor and the relay. If you want to talk on the phone, let me know.
Gene,
Would love to chat at your convenience.
Send you # and a good time to talk.
Thanks a million,
Tim
Florida
Tim, call 601-946-1257 before 5:30 today or after 7:30 tonight (central time).
Gene
Gene,
It is Wednesday morning here in Florida
ten minutes after nine AM....9:10 AM
Didn't get a chance to call last night.
When can we talk today?
Let me kknow,
Tim 
Central Florida 33706
Call anytime, if I can't answer I'll call you back.
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2019
HATS OF TO GENE PURSER IN THE GREAT STATE OF MISSISSIPPI !!!
GENE CAME UP WITH THE FORMULA TO GET THE OVER DRIVE WORKING AGAIN IN 
MY '56 CROWN VICTORIA.
"ELIMINATE THE WIRE FROM THE COIL" 
KEEP THE OTHER TWO WIRES AS IN THE DIAGRAM
NO NEED FOR TOGGLE SWITCH, THE GOVERNOR CONTROLS THE WHOLE OPERATION.
NO NEED FOR A TOGGLE SWITCH   ( ONE CAN BE USED BETWEEN THE WIRE TO THE
GOVERNOR) BUT IT WORKS FINE  WITHOUT THE TOGGLE SWITCH.
THANKS AGAIN GENE !!!
TIM
HAPPY, FLORIDA 33706

I'm glad you got that beautiful car working like you want.