WANTED PARTS FOR Y BLOCK

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic148499.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By panel driver - 5 Years Ago
I am in the process of trying to finish the assembly of my y block. I would really like an aluminum timing cover and aluminum mummert intake  for  a truck style engine. I think the ones for t bird are different. 
I have a two barrel and a small opening 4 bbl intake now. I spoke to John and he said he has nothing available at this time. He is  not sure at what point they will be ready. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.  
By miker - 5 Years Ago
FWIW, the “bird intake” from John and the Blue Thunder just have a lower mounting pad for hood clearance, you could use a spacer if you wanted. Sorry, I don’t have any of the above available. Might check with peglegrice here on the forum, see what he has left. Probably a long shot on the front cover.
By Oldmics - 5 Years Ago
Probably could find a dual quad intake (that I"m selling) this Saturday at the "Real Mans Yard Sale" up in your neck of the woods if interested.

Oldmics
Thanks for the reply. I will check with you suggestions. Joe 
I will try to get to the "real mans yard sale"  this saturday. I forgot all about it. Thanks Joe 
By pegleg - 5 Years Ago
The Truck and T' Bird castings are the same. I do not have any covers left, John Mummert bought my tooling 8 or 9 Years ago.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I will keep hoping for the best. 
By slumlord444 - 5 Years Ago
I think the Blue Thunder is available new. The manufacturer doesn't sell direct but people who sell them may. Their website lists dealers that handle them.Love the one on my T Bird.  A factory B maniflold is not a bad option either.
By PF Arcand - 5 Years Ago
Depending on what your truck is used for & what weather it will be driven in, a Mummert Intake may not be your best route anyway, because it does not have a heated crossover for the carb base or choke.  A Blue Thunder does have a crossover, or as suggested an ECZ-B intake (1957 & later for the later carb base configuration ) would be a good choice.. Note,  however that sometimes the crossover choke heat tube in a "B"  needs to be replaced.. 
I will try to see if a blue thunder is available. Thanks for the suggestion. 
I plan on using an electric choke. I don't do much cold weather driving.  Does the heated cross over cause excessive heat at the head if it is blocked off?  I am using ECZ-C heads.  Would really like to find an aluminum timing cover, but i know its a long shot.  Thanks 
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
It will not cause excess heat to be present if blocked off.
Ok, thanks for the info good to know. Joe 
Panel Driver:  J.Mummert (machine)  sells the aluminum timing covers, but is apparently out of stock currently.  Getting the castings done takes time as the foundry is very busy & most of the other foundries have folded shop & the work in now done "off shore."  Try Mummert in S. Calif in a few months, @ (619) 596 - 0312  in El Cajon. 
Have spoke to J Mummert. He told me it may be awhile before he gets them. Thanks for the suggestion. 
By 2721955meteor - 5 Years Ago
i have a ecz-b intake  i bought 3 years ago at monrow never used it.want 250us and could ship it out of blain (frt from blain to??. cliff  ct1940 @shaw.ca  or 778 5741940
Thanks for the option. I will try to wait and get one from Mummerts.  Thanks Joe 
Going back on the postings here. Why on a truck would you block off the crossover on the Blue Thunder or "B"manifolds?  Assuming the exhaust system doesn't have a Heat Riser, it's very unlikely that there will be excessive heat, particularly in the area where U live.. Some degree of heat helps vaporize fuel which helps warm ups & avoids card icing.. it's not a race car..     
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
PF Arcand (11/29/2019)
Going back on the postings here. Why on a truck would you block off the crossover on the Blue Thunder or "B" manifolds?  Assuming the exhaust system doesn't have a Heat Riser, it's very unlikely that there will be excessive heat, particularly in the area where U live.. Some degree of heat helps vaporize fuel which helps warm ups & avoids card icing.. it's not a race car..

I get requests all the time for blocking the intake manifold heated crossovers in the Y-Block intake manifolds.  One of the reasons is simply due to the paint burning at those crossovers on the painted manifolds.  Another reason is to eliminate the potential for carburetor flooding in hot ambient temperatures (Texas and other southern states) that occurs when the engine is shut off due to the manifold being overly hot.  Both reasons are valid but must be weighed against where and when the vehicles are being driven.

Both carburetor icing and that transition between where the choke has opened and the engine is still not fully up to temperature are two of the reasons why the intake manifold crossover passage is left open for heat.  When the intake passage is left open, it works best and as designed with the heat riser valve at one of the exhaust manifolds.  Unfortunately those exhaust heat riser valves only have a ten year life expectancy which is why so many older vehicles opt for running without them once the valves start to give trouble.

By Tedster - 5 Years Ago
Ted: Can you help and try to explain if/how or maybe the lack of a heat riser impacts the crossover system? For example, say a set of Rams Horn exhaust manifolds. I've never have had a real warm and fuzzy on exactly how it all worked in the OEM setup with the crossover exhaust.

In other words for simplicity's sake there were two (2) possible conditions, flapper open or closed in the original setup, now does the installation of dual exhaust manifolds without any heat riser result in some kind of weird condition that is neither good for hot weather nor good for cold? There's no actual diversion of exhaust through the intake, or does it alternate through exhaust pulses, i.e. is it an identical situation to "flapper open" in the old system?

It does seem a little cold blooded. Not bad, though need to run with the choke full out for maybe 5 or 10 minutes in cold weather. So why not block the manifold ports off completely? This would seem to be better for summer ops.
By 2721955meteor - 4 Years Ago
have a bseries 4v 250 us, shipping would  be from blain wa. cliff ct1940@shaw.ca

2shaw.ca
By panel driver - 4 Years Ago
Thanks for the reply. I recently purchased an intake from mummert.  I am still looking for an aluminum  timing cover and a points style ignition distributor with 
vacuum and centrifical advance though. Thanks again Joe 
By Ted - 4 Years Ago
Tedster (11/29/2019)
Ted: Can you help and try to explain if/how or maybe the lack of a heat riser impacts the crossover system? For example, say a set of Rams Horn exhaust manifolds. I've never have had a real warm and fuzzy on exactly how it all worked in the OEM setup with the crossover exhaust.
In other words for simplicity's sake there were two (2) possible conditions, flapper open or closed in the original setup, now does the installation of dual exhaust manifolds without any heat riser result in some kind of weird condition that is neither good for hot weather nor good for cold? There's no actual diversion of exhaust through the intake, or does it alternate through exhaust pulses, i.e. is it an identical situation to "flapper open" in the old system?
It does seem a little cold blooded. Not bad, though need to run with the choke full out for maybe 5 or 10 minutes in cold weather. So why not block the manifold ports off completely? This would seem to be better for summer ops.

Doing away with the heat riser valve and having a dual exhaust system simply slows down the natural heating of the intake manifold.  In fact, if the exhaust system is unrestrictive (very little back pressure) then exhaust flow through the manifold will be very little and ineffective as far as actually preheating and adding heat to the intake plenum.  Without the heat riser valve, the intake manifold just warms up much slower and heats up only as a result of conduction from the cylinder heads.  If there is no exhaust flow through the manifold either as a result of blocked heat crossover passages or a very non-restrictive exhaust system, then carburetor icing when the temperature drops below the dew point becomes a real probability.  In the normal scheme of things, preheating the manifold via the heated crossover is only required until the intake manifold becomes the same temperature as the rest of the engine.  After that point, it’s no longer needed and in some instances becomes a detriment.
By PF Arcand - 4 Years Ago
Noted the comment about driving a cold engine with the choke full on for up to 10 minutes... in a word, not a good idea!..
P.S.- re read your posts & noted that U recently bought a Mummert aluminum intake.. Getting heat to the carb area or not is irrelavent, because unlike a "B" or Blue Thunder intake, the Mummert does not have a crossover...   
By emtdude56 - 4 Years Ago
you can try rexhp.com they show intakes & timing covers on there site last time I looked 
By emtdude56 - 4 Years Ago
you can try rexhp.com there site did have both items on them