Oil Pump Pickup Tube

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic147789.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By customline3859 - 5 Years Ago
I am in the process of reassembling my 304 ci Y. My question is regarding the oil pump pickup tube. It seems to be an area just waiting to leak. Has anyone removed the original tube and replaced it with a braided line with AN fittings? If not, any tips or tricks to keep it from leaking?
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
ive never had a problem here.if its installed right no problem
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/104031a5-bc49-42a8-b765-b6c9.jpg
By Tedster - 5 Years Ago
I'm doing this task right now.

As an aside, I really like the ability to read archived internet forum posts on stuff like this prior to bending any wrenches. And bugging Charlie about it too. The chief concern probably isn't oil leaks, it's slight air leaks leading to a reduction in oil pressure. The gasket around the pickup tube should be coated liberally with grease. The manual calls for "sealant" on threads. Those AN fittings and braided hose are definitely the hot ticket for all you cork sniffers, make sure you have the matching color-coordinated wrenches Wink
By customline3859 - 5 Years Ago
From the photo it looks like the oil pan had to have a bung welded onto it to make it all work. My pan is already painted, so I may have to just source all new gaskets for the oil tube. 
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Welded AN fitting on the pan and the oil pump has to be tapped, I think for 3/4" pipe thread, for an AN to pipe fitting. It's a pretty significant job for no realized gain on a more or less stock engine used as originally intended.

The main reason for doing that is pickup positioning although it will result in a more reliable seal between the pump and pan.
By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
Using the original Type Seal with Sealant on the Treads of the Nut is Satisfactory 99% of the Time.The main thing is to install it Properly with grease as a Lubricant and torque nut sufficiently to act on the Crush Sleeve..If the Pipe is in good Shape you should be fine with original Setup. If it drips you can tighten the Nut a little more.