Fordomatic TX.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic147773.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By albjerryg - 5 Years Ago
I have a 1955 Ford Victoria with a 272 and automatic transmission. I was under the car for the first time inspecting everything and notice it did not have transmission cooling line to the radiator. Is that normal? thanks Jerry
By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
Yours is Air Cooled. There are Fins on the Torque Convertor that draw air in through the Scoop on the Side of the Bell Housing. You might check the air Passage through the Bell Housing and make sure its open to allow Air to circulate. I found the One on mine was almost completely plugged up with accumulated dirt and Sand when I had it apart last Winter. Ford used up all the Air cooled Units and changed to Water cooled around the middle of the Model Year (1956) depending on what Plant it was  built at.
Thanks for the information. Is it easy and possible to convert it to water cool or not really necessary. Thanks Jerry
Another question, when you got your AL radiator from auto city classic did you get it with fan and shroud or just radiator with the car fan blade. Thanks Jerry
If the Car is Stock and the Vents etc are clear so Air Circulates there is really no Reason to be concerned about it. Mine is Air Cooled. I just used the Rad, 6 Blade Fan, and Hi Flow Thermostat. I used black BarbQ Paint so it looks stockl. These Rads are built with Top Tanks that look more stock than some of the Others.I lightly sanded the Top Tank and used Vinegar to etch the Aluminum. So far the Paint has held up fine. If I could find a smaller Water Pump Pulley I could ad that also. Smaller Pulley the Water Pump turns faster-more Circulation at Idle. 
Ok thank you for the info. Jerry
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
Just to clarify what oldcarmark said, the air cooled trans's were used up to mid 1956 model year so all 55's were the air cooled
Thanks Paul. I just added that (1956) to my Post. Its interesting knowing the changes and differences in the 55-56 Passenger Cars. Steering Box is another Item that was updated part the way through the 1956 Cars.