Engine Removal

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic147530.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 55 GLASS TOP - 5 Years Ago
Hello. I removed the engine from the club sedan I am working on today . I used a nylon sling looped around the engine mounts and an engine crane. I just wondering if anyone would like to share where and how they attach their lifting chain or sling when removing the engine. I removed the engine and tranny in one assembly. Thanks for any replies.
By blockhead2 - 5 Years Ago
Hi,

I use two steel cables around the exhaust manifolds to a lifting bar.  If you look at the 55 shop manual you will see Ford used a similar system buy used formed steel rods instead.

Good luck,

Bill A
By DryLakesRacer - 5 Years Ago
My son and I remove engines a lot in our race cars and both have found the adjustable screw device a godsend. We like to remove exhaust systems and use the 3/8" holes with longer bolts with large washers thru the chains. the ability to level the engine coming out works really well.
By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
DryLakesRacer (8/18/2019)
My son and I remove engines a lot in our race cars and both have found the adjustable screw device a godsend. We like to remove exhaust systems and use the 3/8" holes with longer bolts with large washers thru the chains. the ability to level the engine coming out works really well.
If you are removing or installing the engine and transmission in an early TBird, you need this tool.  Don't try to take the transmission out by itself.  It's not worth it.  Use the leveling device and install them both as a unit. I bolt the chains to the exhaust bolt holes as described.

By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
DryLakesRacer (8/18/2019)

It's called a Leveler. You are right when You say it makes lifting an Engine much Easier especially if its Engine and Trans. I used One for the first Time this Winter .Gives much more Control in or out. I used the Intake Manifold corner Bolts because  according to Leveler Manufaturer they should only be a certain Distance Apart. With over 900 lbs hanging from the Crane I wasn't going to second Guess the Instructions. I used new Gr 8 Bolts to attach Leveler.to Engine.  
Here you go.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ec84f561-d73f-4228-8ec4-01ab.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e7e5620d-be6a-4cfe-ac62-2cd5.jpg
Beautiful Shop !
By Gene Purser - 5 Years Ago
That shop. WOW! 
The shop belongs to my friend Joe.  He's a retired machinist.  He has a car collection and we work on our cars together.  It's tough work, but someone has to do it...  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c209174c-230c-410c-b7a5-a92c.jpg
By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
Florida_Phil (8/19/2019)
The shop belongs to my friend Joe.  He's a retired machinist.  He has a car collection and we work on our cars together.  It's tough work, but someone has to do it...  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c209174c-230c-410c-b7a5-a92c.jpg

Florida Phil You are One lucky Guy!!  If You need a break give Me a Shout!
By FORD DEARBORN - 5 Years Ago
Super great cars in the background too......................
I've been a Ford guy my whole life. Started when my Dad had a 1957 Custom that I drove to the Senior Prom with my now wife of 54 years.  Back then, guys were putting 427s in everything from 57 Fords to pick up trucks. I have had a chance to build every car I every lusted after. Must have had at least 50 Ford hot rods.  I had some 10 second drag cars that I drove on the street. I don't recommend it.  I've been to traffic school so many times I maxed out because I could have taught the class.  These days, I drive the speed limit.  I'm old and tired now.  I've been told by my doctors that I shouldn't do heavy work. When I work on my cars, I need a younger person to help me so I don't hurt myself.  I know things about these cars that have been long forgotten.  When I work on them, it's like dating my first girl friend.  It's all good.
By 57RancheroJim - 5 Years Ago
That is an awesome shop, some us only dream of that. I work out of a little garage with home made engine hoist, engine stand, jack stands etc etc. But the bottom line for all of us is to keep the Y's alive by any means.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e4e38385-8bed-43c7-a430-9654.jpg
Your shop looks like my home garage.  Working in Joe's garage is a dream.  If you need something, he has two or three of them already.   Joe worked hard all his life. He was fortunate enough to build a great business and sell it at the right time.  We work on our cars together.  Two of us equals one fairly decent mechanic. Tongue
By 57RancheroJim - 5 Years Ago
My biggest issue is everything takes twice as long now Smile and most of the other old guys aren't much help either.
By Cliff - 5 Years Ago
Guys, age is in your mind, I'm 65 will be 66 soon, I still work hard, have a look at my face book page
https://www.facebook.com/cliff.murray.988

By pegleg - 5 Years Ago
Try 77 with having had a stroke, prostate removed, and suffered 25 kidney stones and tell me it's all my head.

By Cliff - 5 Years Ago
No, my brother had bad health all of his life (diabetes) so I understand, I have been blessed, no major problems so far, however since 1994 one of my hobbies is boxing, I box about 7 rounds 2 times per week, I think I'm the oldest (I think) at the gym that I go to, the young guys just watch, I do feel that hard exercise and faith in God is the key. 
I'm 72 and in good health. I can do anything as good as I used to.. Once.  We have a few guys in our local car group that are in their eighties and still working on their cars.  I'm careful around cars.  You can hurt yourself without even trying. I've seen engines fall.  I've seen cars pin people to the wall when they jump out of gear.  If you're getting up in age, you should have someone younger nearby.  Working on cars keeps me from sitting around all day and keeps my brain working.  It's a good thing.
By FORD DEARBORN - 5 Years Ago
I am also up there at that age. If there's something that I don't do anymore it's because I don't want to. Working on cars, our favorite engine and helping folks out when asked provides plenty to do. One thing I'm really happy about is my son, when in his single digit age got infected big time by the Y-bug as he was my cruising buddy in my 57 Fairlane 500.  He's now so busy with family and life he doesn't have time to so much as look at his watch. But still talks, plans and dreams of his first Y-block powered car so some day he probably will join this fine solid forum and discuss stuff like we are. Thanks for reading this, JEFF...............
By MoonShadow - 5 Years Ago
75 and still working on mine. Its not as easy as it once was and I can't lift as much. My biggest problem is a lack of help when I need it. There is only one Y's guy near me and he is young and has a job and family. He helps when he can but not often. My own family didn't get the bug so no help there. I do have a grandson that is a fire cracker and would love to help but he's an hour away with a business and a family so that happens rarely. I've sort of been on my own my whole life and have learned a few tricks to working alone but I could use the company. My systems knowledge is a bit lacking but I can turn a wrench pretty well. Just keep on keeping on!
What color paint did you use to paint that hanging engine thanks